Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen15_gw

Should we use stone on exterior?

Karen15
10 years ago

We're coming to the part where we need to choose siding and I need some advice. I'm thinking of stone on the whole front of garage and the far right bump out area would be too pricey. Would the house look silly with stone only below garage windows in a straight line and the on the right side under the single window also in a straight line? Or go with just siding? Is it worth the upgrade cost or is it better to spend that $ inside.Any advice? THANKS!

Comments (14)

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

I think you will be fine with all siding.

• CamG
    10 years ago

Ultimately it's an opinion question, but... we did a line of stone along the bottom only because it was required by covenants. Most people on here will tell you that houses today have too many different materials. I would vote against using any stone due to cost. If you want to do some stone, as some have mentioned, I think the best look is to use it only below grade, looking as if the foundation is made of stone.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I agree with Chris. I'm in no way an expert, but I think it's a pretty house already - it doesn't seem to be to be calling for stone. With all the roof lines, I think it would get too busy.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'd prefer to spend the money inside but also didn't want it to look too plain.

• nini804
    10 years ago

It won't look plain with just siding, but I would make sure you use nice, hefty trim and really nice, operable shutters. I think nice, thick shutters really make a huge difference on a facade. Your house looks very pretty!

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're thinking of no shutters , Tuscan clay siding with an adobe cream trim (aside siding conquest).

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Similar to these colors

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Skip the stone and put your money in nice trim. The big challenge with your facade is going to be making the front door important when it is recessed. Trim will be your friend for sure.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie are you a fan of having the front door a color that pops or should it match trim?

• renovator8
    10 years ago

It should either be a stone house or not. I don't understand the desire to decorate the exterior with stone here and there. And it should never be on a garage with a 16 ft. door opening unless there is a huge stone lintel. With synthetic materials is is easy to simulate traditional materials but to do that well you need to think about how a real stone house would have been built.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea I think we've canned the idea of stone. I agree with everyones comments. If stone is only on bottom of house it might end up being covered by landscaping anyways. I think having a nice simple look to the exterior will be best so it doesn't look too busy and spend the money on the interior.

• wwwonderwhiskers
    10 years ago

Just thought I would post a pic of ours. We completed late in 2011. This shot from fall 2012. No landscaping in here, but I think the real stone watertable looks very nice. Image here is overcast, and colors a little muddy, but hopefully you get the idea for the stone.

(weird) Window trim was builder's choice, but using shutters as a 'faux' window far left was our idea (we picked up from a Parade entry in another state). Front door is a bit of a "hobbit hole", but that's just the way it worked out with interior of our choice.
    I think the saving grace for this home was the snappy black shutters gave the otherwise monochrome exterior some needed contrast.
    Our builder said - brick, natural stone, Hardieplank - all the same price, just pick what you want. That was our directive.

Lovely colors on your home, the Tuscan & trim. Looks great! Good luck!!!
    My only tip - take LOTS of pictures while they are building - of EVERYTHING. That has saved our biscuits more than a dozen times in the past two years & while working punch-lists!!

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful home! Our windows were supposed to look like yours by the columns but I had them match the width of the top. Only because it's actully a mudroom now instead of dining.