Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buchanaj_gw

Help with home exterior!

buchanaj
11 years ago

I need some serious help picking brick and stone for our house. We are building a house that looks kind of like this house.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4724-S-168th-East-Ave-Tulsa-OK-74134/89349861_zpid/

All our gables will come to a peak and the roof won't stick out over the garage. The front of the garage will be flush with the gable and will go straight up to a peak. We had originally thought we'd do just stone on the entry and brick everywhere else. However, last night DH and I were experimenting with putting stone on the garage section to balance it a bit.

So, I need some help not only figuring out where to put brick and stone but what brick and stone would look best. Im doing a carriage style garage door and I really like the look of dark browm for the shutters and garage. Beyond that, I'm stuck.

I'm on the iPad and opulent figure out how to get a picture in the post so my apologies.

Thanks for all your help.

Comments (6)

• buchanaj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trying to get link in.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Photo

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

I'm not sure a brick-and-stone mix is the best choice for this house. It has a lot going on already. Could you go with all stone? If not that, then all brick?

Also, I really do not like the two different gable treatments. Go with all jerkin-headed or all unclipped. Mixing it up does not work.

• User
    11 years ago

I agree that the house pictured isn't one to model your home after. It's too much on too small of a lot. You'd want a much more unified look without all of the design inconsistencies pictured.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Sorry, just re-read your original post and see you are not using two different gable styles. I would still not mix brick and stone on the exterior.

• tulip55
    11 years ago

We are currently in the process of choosing brick and stone and I am amazed at how difficult it has been. Many of the panels I see and like look very different on a house. I think it is critical that you see the brick on an actual house with the mortar before you decide. Of course, you need to have an idea of what color you might like before you can do that.

Have you chosen a general color of brick? Many of the brick makers have samples and actual photos of houses built with the brick on their websites. Our builder has given us addresses of homes to look at that have the brick we are interested in, and so far we have not liked any of them. At least we were able to eyeball them, so to speak.

The answer to the stone question will depend on the brick I think. We are still undecided on whether or not to use stone because our style of house looks better without it. So, don't use it just because you can, but because it will enhance the appearance of your home.

Best wishes on your build.

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Sooooo true about seeing it on a sample board with mortar. I picked a brick and everyone thought it would be great. Saw the sample and HATED it beyond words. It was hideous. Thankfully a kind architect led me in the right direction.