Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nostalgicfarm

Is this Possible? 1 basement room with higher ceilings?

nostalgicfarm
10 years ago

We have not consulted with an architect yet, but I keep trying to figure out how to make this happen. My plan is to have a 1 1/2 story with full basement. I would plan on my girls being in upstairs rooms and my almost 7 (so 9 or 10 when build complete) boy in basement room. I understand that most people wouldn't like having kids on different levels pike this, but it would be the best for my son who needs more private space more than most other kiddos. However all the rooms I have loved on Houzz/Pinteredt for him have had taller ceilings with a loft of sort built in. I already plan on using 9 or 10 ft ceilings for our walkout basement. Is there a way to have just one basement room have higher ceilings though?
I have tried to think about if I had a main floor room that could be stepped up, but not really thinking of anything great there. I have thought about if his room was "sunken" to achieve this higher ceiling, but not sure how great a few extra stairs down would be? I have also thought about if just the loft part had a higher ceiling? I am sure there could be a small section of the main floor that could be raised for this.
I know an architect would be the best one to consult for this, but we still are in the process of getting ready to list our house this coming spring....doesn't mean I can't dream now!
Also, I would probably want his bedroom on one of the back walls, so that it could have or be very close to a door. (not concerned about some of the same city safety issues others may be with this setup :). Maybe I could have his loft bump out from the main part of the house to get this height? Seems like that would be very expensive though?
Excited to heat anybody's thoughts on my crazy idea :)

Comments (8)

• worthy
    10 years ago

so that it could have or be very close to a door. Or window.

That's Code.

BTW, exactly how tall is your seven-year old that a ten-foot ceiling would cramp his style?

This post was edited by worthy on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 9:43

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Our basement ceilings were designed for 9' as we knew we were finishing the rooms down there...basement sq ft is the cheapest to add to the house as you are already building it.

We ran the ductwork in the conditioned space for energy efficiency, and rather than know where all the ductwork was, our architect cleverly created tray ceilings instead. It gives the feeling of height and space so the lower level is not a basement at all. So perhaps doing a tray ceiling may be a way to give you more height without having to raise the entire basement.

Also, to keep basement rooms from feeling like basement, windows and light are essential...besides being code as worthy points out.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Worthy. By window/door, I really meant that the room will have a full above ground wall on me side, rather than just a code minimum caement window.
    Lol I don't think 10 ft ceiling will cramp his style, but I guess I don't really know how tall the rooms with the built in loft areas really are? Maybe they are only 10 ft at that height anyway? My son will be over 6 ft tall but probably not over 7 ft :)
    It can just be hard knowing what all you can get in a space...
    And while 10 ft ceilings would be nice...9 ft may be much more practical...especially if we do end up going ICF for the basement walls!

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Something like this. This ceiling is about 13 ft at the v.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

Any ceiling height is possible -there are no limits. Just as with above ground house floors there can be split levels sections open to above or what ever. The fact that it is technically called a basement is irrelevant. The only real considerations are cost and accessibility.

• bpath
    10 years ago

In DS's buddy's house, the basement under the addition is a couple steps down from the old part. It's their "active play" area, room for bouncing balls and swords LOL! The steps down are actually kind of nice, declaring it a separate space, and when you walk in you feel the room open up, yet the "sunken" feel is cozy.

Perhaps you could do a combination, sunken room with a raised ceiling?

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bpathome...Thanks! This is about the best solution I have thought of ... If I did it, I could have that side of the basement a step down and have an exercise room with basketball hoop, etc in there. I can't imagine that an extra 3 ft high on about 12-15 feet width *depth of the house would be THAT costly...LOL.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bpathome...Thanks! This is about the best solution I have thought of ... If I did it, I could have that side of the basement a step down and have an exercise room with basketball hoop, etc in there. I can't imagine that an extra 3 ft high on about 12-15 feet width *depth of the house would be THAT costly...LOL.