Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txbluebonnet11

Should I Install Hand Hewn Beams in My 1970s Ranch - Yes or No?

TXBluebonnet11
10 years ago

We are renovating a 1970s ranch style home. We have a cathedral ceiling in the entry and a sloped ceiling in the living room. We are considering putting antique hand hewn beams up in both places. I love the look, but they are pretty expensive and permanent. I am worried about the following:

1. Will they "date" the house? We are going for a French look, but more traditional.

2. Will they limit our decorating possibilities?

2. Feng Shui cautions strongly against them. Should I be worried about this?

Here are some sample photos:

Rustic Kitchen by Los Angeles Design-Build Firms Avante Interiors

Rustic Hall by Scottsdale Architects & Designers Don Ziebell

Rustic Dining Room by Edwards Interior Designers & Decorators Slifer Designs

Mediterranean Bedroom by Scottsdale Architects & Designers Higgins Architects

Here is the type of ceiling in my living room:

Traditional Kitchen by Buffalo Architects & Designers Murphy & Co. Design

Our ceiling is sheetrock, not wood planks. So it would just be the beams under the sheetrock. I would really appreciate any opinions or advice.

Comments (12)

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of the living room. The fireplace is where the room ends, we just haven't installed sheetrock on the wall yet. We were planning 5 beams which would run from the back of the room towards the fireplace. I will post a side view next.

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 9:13

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the view looking towards the back yard. the beams would run parallel to the window (sloping up to the top of the room along the ceiling). The elevation would be at the same level as the top of the window opening. (We had to lower the ceiling a bit to accommodate enough insulation).

• renovator8
    10 years ago

It would help to better understand the design of the house. I don't see anything that resembles a 1970's ranch style.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Beams only work if they look like they could actually be structural. You seem to be putting them the wrong way for that. And yes, they are overdone and will scream mid teens unless the home is of a style to actually support the design element. Like lodge or MCM.

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GreenDesigns: That makes sense, that the home needs to be in a style to support the design element. That being said, I really want a "French Country" style. I know the home has some mid century architecture but I'm hoping to minimize that and marry the two harmoneously. Every "French country" decorating book I look at has these beams. Is it better to ignore the ceiling in an attempt to have it fade into the background? If I leave the ceiling alone, should I paint it white, the same color as the walls, or a darker color? Is there anything else I could do to bring a special element to the ceiling in this room?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I don't think the third picture (slightly lighter finish on beams) will look dated. Your ceiling is not flat, so it's going to be hard to ignore. I'd play it up and make a statement, as long as it doesn't overwhelm your space. I prefer the larger spaces in between beams and the ceiling finish (stucco?) in the third picture. The first picture would not look very French country, IMHO.

Have fun with the space and if you've always loved French country (I have) I don't think you'll get tired of it...so it won't seem dated to you. Just stay with classic details and don't over do...as they say on the kitchen forum, one to three roosters, not ten :)

• Jules
    10 years ago

I agree with lavender_lass that the third photo showing distressed knotty pine beams has a classic French country look that is timeless.

I think the wood finish will make or break it. Stay away from medium or dark finishes or any kind of polyurethane that will cast an orangish hue after time in favor of a natural finish like a wax that has a slightly cool tone to it.

It would be helpful to see your front exterior elevation and foyer to give a better opinion. What flooring will you have?

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Have you looked at homes by Jack Arnold? Most are French Country and have beams. Some have a gallery (hallway) with slanted ceilings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack Arnold

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I love beams.

Of the pictures you showed, I like the first one the least. I don't care for the curved beams. The third one is my favorite because the colors blend so well and have such a timeless look.

Don't neglect the possibility of white beams on a white ceiling (or something similar in a small contrast). This isn't quite such a commitment as the dark-on-white combination.

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Allison: I love Jack Arnold's homes. I have looked at them before and they are wonderful. Lucky you to have one of them!

JujuBean: Good point on the finish. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Thanks so much for your input, Lavender. :)

Here's a very poor photo of the front of the house. Unfortunately, I don't have a better one handy. This is from my iPhone and please note that it's a construction zone and in progress. :) The garage is being added on to the front on the right side of the house here.

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 22:59

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the back of the house. The pool (and stonework) was in the process of being remodeled, so the back yard is still a construction zone mess as well.

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another front view. Please note that it is very incomplete. Doors have primer only. Front door to be replaced. Landscaping isn't in yet. Stonework isn't completed. This is just to give a feel for the architecture.

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 23:04