Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renton123

Window seat - do you use yours?

renton123
10 years ago

In mid-build and we have a space in one of the bedrooms that would perfectly fit a long window seat. Just curious if anyone actually uses theirs as the ones I remembered from houses in my youth were pretty uncomfortable and didn't get used much.

Comments (10)

• hendricus
    10 years ago

Cat and grand kids.

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

I doubt anyone uses them more than occasionally. We have one in the kitchen and use it to store some things we do not use often. And sometimes sit there - the cat likes to get brushed there. They are mostly for looks.

• bpath
    10 years ago

The one in our sun room is perfect for plants.

I think it depends on how low the window comes down (lower is not better for sitting), and if there's room to lean back, or for shoulders if you sit sideways, so either a deep seat or a bumped-in back. My friend's windowseat was big enough to accommodate an extra-long twin matress and it got used a lot.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Agree with Chris.

Mostly for looks...and for pets :-)

This one is in my dressing room between the closets and the master bath. We use it to put on shoes, etc. But we don't actually sit there and relax.

This one has drawers under it, so it really is practical.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

I think they are great for storage (large comforters/winter blankets, bulky stuff)...but you can't sit forward on a window seat...just sideways and lean against a wall. So, if there is a wall that is nice, if it is more windows, then you can't lean. I prefer some cozy loungers in my master bedroom instead of a window seat. My cat would love one though!

• LE
    10 years ago

We will have one, but it is designed specifically to be used, with space for a backrest and is the only place on the second floor to "perch" and look out through a set of windows that wraps around a corner. I hope I'll use it-- I'll be disappointed if I don't!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

They are not necessarily designed for sitting like a chair or couch and that's a good thing. They often fill the space below a window that interrupts cabinets, shelving, a fireplace, etc. They are just part of the room design. As the Dude would say, "It ties the room together."

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 21:49

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

Another vote for "Cat". Only creature in our house now that uses the 2 we have

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

DH uses his daily to put his shoes on. Inside is storage and it is also where the throw pillows and bears spend the night.

• mainecoonkitty
    10 years ago

The cat has claimed it and it's his favorite spot. No one else may even dare to sit there unless they;re willing to scratch his ears!