Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crhbobby1

Bathroom Floor Plan

crhbobby1
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Our plans have already been submitted for bids from subs. The attached picture is the bathroom between both of the kids rooms. The idea is that one could take a shower...and the other could use the vanity. It seems like a lot of doors...but 2 of those are from closets that should be shut anyways.

Does the toilet seem to have an odd placement? I just have never used a toilet where the door was right beside you like that.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (13)

• pwanna1
    9 years ago

my first thought is why do you need a to door at the entrance by the vanities? They have doors from their rooms, and don't' really need privacy to wash a face/brush teeth/apply makeup, right? I'd get rid of that door.

• lepages
    9 years ago

It seems like there is a lot of space that can be re-worked. I see that you have a 3 0 CO, do you need to have an entrance into this area? If not you could put the vanity on the long wall. By doing so you would move the entrance into the bedrooms down and that would allow the bedroom closets to increase as well.

• crhbobby1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgive me, I am not sure what CO means.... it should just be an opening. This is the only walkway into this area of the house. Otherwise, this would cause us to have the bedroom doors to be open to the living room and the entry way.

• lolauren
    9 years ago

It took me a minute to figure out this hallway is the entry to the bedrooms? I suppose that is why there is a door there to the bathroom. I would keep it, in that case. Can the two doors in the vanity area be pocket doors? I am not sure if there is enough room for that.

Also, it might be helpful to show a zoomed out view of the space.

• lepages
    9 years ago

A CO is a cased opening( on opening that has trim) It makes sense that this is also the entrance to the bedrooms. I thought that there was another entrance to the bedrooms and that hallway was only for the two bedrooms, sorry for the confusion on my part. With that in mind I like the layout of the bathroom. We used to have something similar and it worked really well for us. The only thing that I'm not sure on is the location of the toilet which was your original concern. I'm not sure if you have much choice though, I don't think that I would put it on the opposite wall because then that would be the first thing that you would see.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Do you need 2 separate linen closets?

• mrspete
    9 years ago

My thoughts:

- Too complicated, too many doors; I'd do away with the split-bath concept. The idea of multiple tiny rooms isn't particularly comfortable.
    - Yes, the toilet placement is odd; I'd turn it so it "faces" the tub
    - The sink vanity, as it's drawn, is not big enough to comfortably support two sinks. If you do away with the middle doorway, you'd have space to stretch the vanity a bit so you could afford the space for two sinks --and still have space for some drawer storage.
    - I'd rather have one big linen closet facing into the bathroom instead of two small ones.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

I agree with pixie...get rid of one of those linen closets and give the room to vanities. As it is, the kids would have no drawers for toothbrushes etc.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

How about something like this?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

With the amount of space you have, you could also do this:

• crhbobby1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for you suggestions.

I would like to keep the space equal between vanities - so I am not sure how I feel about making one large...and one small. I like a bit of symmetry.

Now - the possibility of making it into two separate bathrooms intrigues me. Do you think these would be too small? It would give each kid their own separate bathroom. We also have a powder room - so guest will never have to use these.

I will have to show the double bathroom to my wife. If we don't do that, I think we would make an adjustment to the toilet placement at least.

Thank you everyone.

• TwoBelles
    9 years ago

If you can swing two separate bathrooms in your budget, I would really encourage you to do so. Just three short years ago I thought my daughters would always be fine sharing a bath, but now I cannot wait for our new build where each child will have her own space. If I had a son and a daughter instead of two daughters, this would be even more critical to me. Additionally, most buyers would prefer each room to have an ensuite bath because it offers so much more flexibility to the space.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Why no window on the outside bathroom wall? Windows make such a difference in the way that a space feels and is used.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm