Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shiltsy

Spancrete garage

shiltsy
9 years ago

I would really like to do a dedicated theatre under our garage using a spancrete floor. Talking informally with an architect yesterday, he thought the additional cost would be around $40k. That seemed really steep to me and would probably steer me in a different direction on the theatre.

Has anyone else done a spancrete garage and have thoughts? We will have an oversized 3 car garage probably around 1000 sq ft.

Comments (16)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Sounds cheap to me for all of the engineering required to park 2 ton vehicles over your head. And keep the over your head.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

That is relatively cheap for that. There have been several thread on here over the last years about this. I do recall some folks saying there are water / dampness issues as a possible problem.

Keep in mind a solid concrete bunker can have significant sound issues for a home theater.

• shiltsy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A concrete bunker framed out with the right sound dampening panels can actually be perfect for a home theatre. ;-)

Will report back once I get firm quotes.

• Scott Samway
    9 years ago

I'm doing that too, my plan has a room 25' x 25' with 8' ceilings, to build and finish is approx $25,000.

I live in Kansas with relatively low building costs compared to the coasts.

• shiltsy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Scott.... good to know. I've lived in KC and the cost of living is definitely lower than MN, but not far off. I could pretty easily justify this for $25k, but if we're talking $40k it might just make sense to add to the foundation.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Sound damping panels will pretty much do crap for sound issues in a concrete bunker. It's low bass reverberation and standing waves that are the issue, and bass trapping in those frequencies is not accomplished by "panels".

Read Everest's "the Master handbook of Acoustics" before making any commitment to build a concrete bunker home theater.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Seems like it would be complicated to do right. In addition to the weight of the cars, you have to worry about melted snow and oil dripping from the cars, and possibly carbon monoxide. Mae sure you take drainage into account.

• M Frederick
    9 years ago

Hi - we live in MN as well. Two different builders quoted me $50k to create a media room under the garage. At least that is better than the $120k quoted for a sport court under the garage that is dug deep enough for a basketball hoop ;)

• lucia77
    9 years ago

Did either of you in MN go ahead with the room under the garage? What was the real cost? A builder showing one of their homes on the parade of homes last year told me that the unfinished room under a two car garage was about $25k more than an unexcavated slab garage.

• M Frederick
    9 years ago

In the suburbs where they are attached the side of the house is ~$75K (friend just built one). We are in the city and would need to build it under the garage. Just received our costs on our under the garage yesterday and it was $170K. Yes, $170K. This was for a sport court with 15 feet ceilings, wood floor, full three point shooting range (it would be under a three car garage), the staircase to get down to the sport court, and a storage area and the price included ~$20K for sport court toys/padding. This was $50K more than what the had originally quoted us - the higher cost was driven by higher sub-contractor costs (is it a builders market here), engineering costs and the amount of concrete.

At the $25K+ more your builder was discussing seems low to me - and that is likely for a 8 or 9 foot ceiling, flat floor (no stairs), no basket-ball arch, flat floor, no toys etc. The sports courts I have seen like this in Edina parade of homes were generally priced at $40-$50K extra.

• lucia77
    9 years ago

Good info foolnt8. We are looking at Edina, so very relevant info. The $25k was as you describe - room for the kids to run, maybe a golf simulator down the road, but defintily not a full size hoop or any costly finishes. Relatively cheap additional square footage and good for MN winters. Was trying to find some local pictures on Houzz - do you recall Edina builders who had them?

• M Frederick
    9 years ago

Good for Minnesota winters is right! I like the basic option as well - I call it the rumpus room. A place for a bunch of boys to burn their energy.

We are also building in Edina.The sport courts I have seen are with Refined, JMS, City Homes and Elevation. I also spoke with Great Neighborhood Homes and we talked about the sport court - but I haven't seen one in their homes.

As an aside, one thing I noticed this spring is that none of the parade homes (in the city) have them. I suspect that building costs are going up overall, so they are nixing the under-garage build to keep the price of their overall build in place. Ironically, one cluster of homes in Eden Prairie told me "we can't build a house without a sport court"...too bad I couldn't get suburban prices for a sport court!

• lucia77
    9 years ago

We are having initial meetings with prospective builders now. What were the key factors in your choice? Seems like the biggest stumbling block is finding the right lot.

To your last point, it seems several of the extras are not present this spring (bars, outdoor areas, butler pantry). Also interesting how the same work costs more in Edina. That's how it goes.

• M Frederick
    9 years ago

Lucia77 - I'm trying to see if there is a way to email you directly. Sounds like you are at the point where we were last spring, in the same city. I have lots to share!

• lucia77
    9 years ago

danielvandyk@hotmail.com. Appreciate it.