Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should floor vents be covered during construction?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 7:54

Our are not and they are full of sawdust, drywall scraps, and trash. Is this easy to clean out if things fall down put of reach?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should floor vents be covered during construction?

ABSOLUTELY YES! Otherwise all the debris from the build will get into your vents and ducts. Have your contractor cover them asap and you'll probably have to get them cleaned out if they are already full of debris.

You'll have lots of dust in your house once you move in and turn your heat or air on!

o

How sloppy!

As soon as the HVAC guy cuts the floor vents I nail on scraps of ply to every opening. Not only do they keep debris out of the duct work, they're a safety measure to prevent trips and falls.

o

Yes. Ours were covered as soon as HVAC ducts were installed. The plywood covers were removed after paint (so we could start conditioning the house and wood flooring).

o

Ugh. Wonder why ours are not covered. I'll
Do it myself today. Should I vacuum them out first or wait til later?

o

Are you still working on trim? I would guess they need to condition the house at this stage of the build. Our trim carpenters cracked the vents just a touch.

o

Yes, trim is still going in.

o

They might need the conditioned air--for trim and your hardwoods, etc. They might not want them covered. But, you could vacuum them out, and then put temporary registers on/in that can "screen" a lot of the crap (esp the heavy stuff) to keep it from falling in...

o

Our vents are in the ceilings. But we immediately put filters on every return air within each room even though our system is filtered at the unit and not at the actual return airs. We had to tape them into place and sort of shove them in the holes because the grills aren't in an it isn't made to prefilter.

We keep them changed regularly too.

I'd like to think that our GC would have done it anyway, but who knows. It's one of many things that means a lot to us since it's ultimately our house.

Same thing with putting down Ram Board on every finished floor. We had it ready to go the afternoon of each installation.

Be proactive!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here