Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Ensuite design contract- help please!- xpost

akl_vdb
9 years ago

It was suggested I post this here, I'm looking for any advice!
I asked a company to come and look at our ensuite. It's a big space that isn't utilized very well, lots of wasted space and angles (that are necessary due to stairs and such). So I got the design quote. They can then work with trades to get the job done.
I've had 2 companies in before that have honestly been useless. They didn't listen to what I wanted and had no 'vision'. The ensuite is 10 x 9 or so, I did post it on here once, but it's an odd area that I'd like to explore changing up. This company did seem to hit the nail on the head when they saw the space.

What do you think of this? Does it sound reasonable?
Our total budget would be 25 K or so, including this design contract.

What else do I need to look at or ask before I seriously consider this? (as I was thinking $800, DH was thinking $4-500!- so we're probably a bit out to lunch, but we do understand that the design is a big part of it if we're going to change things out)

Thank you for all your wisdom!

DESIGN CONTRACT- sorry- I tried to put it in a file but couldn't work it out!

ONE Diagnosis + Research + Analysis + Defining the project goals, scope and budget: complete design of main floor ensuite master bath and closet + Site assessment and measurements of existing structure and appliances + Determining needs, uses and constraints for end users in the space in order to maximize space planning + Product exploration and sourcing, collecting samples and determining materiality + Sourcing and sharing inspiration photos to build a visual framework

TWO Conceptual Designs + Floor Plans + Elevations + Plotting the general layout of the space, including circulation with respect to adjacent rooms + First draft of conceptual sketches based on visual framework. Initial designs will have various options. + First draft of floor plan and elevations based on space planning results to determine circulation and functionality + Material samples acquired, including flooring, countertop, backsplash, cabinetry, paint, hardware, lighting

THREE Design Review + Conceptual designs and sketches reviewed with client to refine direction, function, style and budget allocation + Material samples presented for client review, alternative options explored with regard to function, style, and budget allocation + Second round of notes regarding any proposed changes

FOUR Detail Development + Costing + Final development of millwork details and other built-in features + Development of lighting and electrical plan + Development of specifications for all required fixtures and materials + Acquiring quotes from various trades and vendors to ensure accurate and competitive pricing

FIVE Final Consultation + Presentation and review of all final deliverables and material samples + Delivery of estimate for construction as well as proposed time frame and schedule

SIX Design Administration + All required on-site visits and off-site correspondence regarding design, material sourcing, and construction details

SEVEN Technical Requirements + Final 11"x17" drawing set: floor plan, reflected ceiling/lighting plan, elevations, sections as needed, millwork plans and elevations + Client will receive one printed copy of final drawing set as well as a digital PDF copy

TOTAL $1550

Comments (10)

• Kathy Harrington
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, I have not specifically done a project like you are doing, but we are in the process of building a new home where we are using an architect and designer. My experiences, it's always more than you initially think, Second, a great design with someone you trust and is providing you the information you need is invaluable, third, make sure that all you need is two conceptual designs. What happens if you don't like either one? How much will they charge to make another? Also, unless you the design team is doing the building or you are doing the work yourself, involve the contractor in the discussions from the beginning as you would hate to pay 1550 to get a design you love but can't afford to build. Good luck and enjoy the process. IT CAN BE FUN :)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

You budget is too low for the project as a whole, and the design servces are too low as well. I'd execpt the project to be at least double that, with design serices being 10% of the doubled total.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So my budget of 25K is too low for my ensuite hollysprings? and design should be 5K? I think I'm losing it.

harringk- Those are good questions to ask, and was my worry, what if I don't like the designs? I will have to clarify as well regarding the contractors and anticipated cost.

Thank you!

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Do you get to keep the designs regardless of whether you hire them to "get the trades to get the job done".?

• Michael
    9 years ago

As someone who works in this field (although I don't know what location you are in), the design/drawing fee is under-priced and a bargain - it should probably be twice that amount. Your budget as a whole is tight for moving fixtures, walls, etc. To fit within it you will be limited to lower end fixtures and finishes. Good luck!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you kirkhall and mvjc. I do get to keep the designs, we can either have them design and build it or just design it.

Thank you for your honesty mvjc. We're in the Canadian prairies, so not really a high fashion hub :)

Is there anything else I need to ask about the quote or what's involved?

Thanks!

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Is this just a bathroom and closet? Is the room already built or only at studs? I can't fathom 9x10 room would cost that much!
    HS...are you in the NE or Ca?

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

The average ÚS bathroom remodel--without moving around walls and plumbing---is 16K. Upscale is 51K. Since you are moving stuff, you will be much closer to the second number than the first. Canadian projects cost even more. 10% i.e., 5K, for design fees is standard to low, depending on if you are using a design/build or independent designer. Design build tend to absorb some of the design costs in higher build prices. If you get more design services than just floor plans, like decorative finish selections, then 5K is WAY low for the design portion of the budget. Try 3x that ballpark.

15-20% (10K) will go to the GC for supervision and project control. Of the 70% of the budget left, maybe 30% (15K) goes to materials, and the rest (20K) is job labor. It's a labor intensive project to start moving plumbing, electrical, and HVAC, and doing tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost vs. Value

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

robin0919- it's already built, the house is about 20 years old. I also can't fathom a room costing that much! We have had 2 other quotes. One was super high, the other was 23K, but no moving around any fixtures.

thanks hollysprings, I don't think our little market could sustain that price point at all, the people in our city are known for being a frugal bunch.

I think I'll give them a call and ask some more questions re: ideas, ballpark cost (if they can even do that at this point!)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I think we're going to do it. I spoke with the company (it's a design build), and we keep the designs if we don't go with the build part with them, the $1500 will be it, they help with finishes, give us choices and either come to our place or we go to the office.

I told him our budget of 30 K for the closet and ensuite, and they said that would do it (30-35K). I told him my biggest fear would be giving them the design $ and having the exact same set up as before. He said they had some great ideas and for our budget it should be able to work.

As we make choices, they do the build part in the budget so we have a final idea when it's all said and done.
    Thanks for the advice!