Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Downsides to exposed aggregate vs broom finish concrete?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi,
We were surprised to find out yesterday that we are going to need to make a snap decision about our front stoop. The budget is for concrete, (though we are able to upgrade if we choose). I don't feel as though I have time to look into pavers and stone, so concrete most likely will be.

One thing I am worried about is snow and ice. Are there any advantages/disadvantages with regard to exposed aggregate vs broom finish? How do they hold up to freeze/thaw, salting, etc?

Or should we have them pour the concrete lower and plan on choosing stones or pavers later?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Exposed aggregate tends to have more freeze/thaw damage than broom finish. Since stair rise/run is code regulated and can't deviate in height for safety reasons, you would need to decide now if you wanted to place a material over the concrete, as well as what that thickness would be. It would also need to be installed before a CO could be issued. Retrofitting it in the future wouldn't really be possible without demolishing the existing stair and redoing it at the proper base height to accept the topping material. You can't have either the bottom or the top step be different rises, which is what would happen if you just topped it with another material. That's a safety hazard.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

We have 10 year old exposed aggregate on our driveway in a high freeze-thaw cycle climate and it looks pretty good.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for chiming in! Another finish someone mentioned in another thread is "sack finish." I haven't gound very many good images online, so I'm not sure what it is. Is it very smooth/slippery?

• sbdesign
    9 years ago

In a former life, I was advertising manager for a contemporary furniture store where the showroom had exposed aggregate for the main aisle/entryway.

Even indoors, it was slippery and extremely uncomfortable for those wearing heels. I love the look, but I would be concerned about someone slipping while using your front entry -- not just with ice, but with rain and even in nice weather.

But then, I always err on the side of paranoia.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

My neighbours have an exposed agg front walk. I shoveled it for them a couple of times last year, and would never install it on my property. It is impossible to clear, and uncomfortable to even try.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sbdesign, I am totally worst case scenario, too, lol.
    Thanks for the snow input, amberm!
    You have all talked me out of exposed aggregate. I told my builder to go with a rubbed finish with non-slip sealer. I'll have a sunken bluestone path leading to the stoop to get my stone fix. Thanks everyone!

• Brian_Knight
    9 years ago

Concrete work is as varied as it gets. An interior exposed aggregate in a contemporary furniture store is sure to be a polished finish which is completely different than exposed aggregate exterior flatwork. Grinding or polishing exterior work is very rare. Washing or rinsing away the paste layer is more typical for exposing outdoor concrete aggregate.

Ive seen and experienced plenty of exposed aggregate that was WAY more slip resistant than typical broom finish. Interior polished floors can have huge variation in slip resistance as well.

Depending on the quality of install and aggregate, I would much prefer the look to typical broom finish but it comes with more concern for those in heels. But with a blue stone approach, I would probably be disappointed to see the transition to something else for the main entry even if I was wearing my heels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete network on slip resistance

• luckymommy1
    9 years ago

I was worried about brushed concrete as we have it on the front porch and back patio. We didn't have the mind share or the budget to change it. Turns out I love it. It looks great and the simplicity if it allows other features to stand out. No regrets!

• renovator8
    9 years ago

I don't know anything about your front stoop but IMO solid granite is by far the best choice. Don't let the contractor force you to use an inferior material.

Why would the front stoop be such a schedule priority?

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Renovator8, that's a good question. the reason they want to do it sooner rather than later is that, due to a small but meaningful mistake in the foundation plan (grrr!!!), the stoop (with rebar in it) has to support a 1 foot by 3 foot corner of the kitchen floor. Right now, the floor is just floating, but they want to get that support in before we start adding weight.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Renovator....wouldn't solid granite be very slippery when wet?

• Jenny Douglas
    6 years ago

I spent the extra cash and had exposed aggregate on my driveway, steps and front porch. I don't regret it for a single moment! It is a little uncomfortable in barefoot, but that is it. No problem with snow, and just like anything paved, just keep it cleared, and no issues! I know our neighbours complain about slipperyness, but they do not apply a concrete safe de-icing product. We have stamped concrete in the backyard for a patio, that's another avenue you can take

• Sam Edminster
    10 months ago

Exposed aggregate is a great choice if your looking for a more natural look, but it can be tricky to shovel. i would recomend a exposed aggregate border with a broom finish in the field. gives great contrast and makes it so the super majority of your slab is broomed therefore easier to shovel while giving a custom look for a relatively low price. especially looks nice if your siding is an earth tone color. you can pour the broomed portion with integral color as well which could add design options. good luck!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler