Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightowlrn

Help with a home plan - just starting

nightowlrn
10 years ago

Hello -- we are on the hunt for a floor plan for a new build. 3500-4000 sq ft. 3-4 bedrooms. 1.5 story. 800K max not including the land. Below is our wish list. Perhaps someone can help us find a perfect plan for us.

We are partial to the Elberton Way SL-1561 plan http://www.houzz.com/projects/171829/Elberton-Way--SL-1561-

http://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/sl1561

We also like Craftsman Style homes.

Wish list

- We are mid-50s, so something we can stay in as long as possible. We have two adult kids who don't live at home, but who we expect to visit and hopefully bring us some grandbabies. We enjoy casual entertaining. We both work from home and we have 2 dogs. We want a lot of windows. I think the kitchen can have a lot of windows if the pantry is big enough.
- No formal living or dining room is necessary, but is okay if necessary.
- Direct access to the backyard from the kitchen, family room
- Front porch
- Open concept kitchen and main living area
- Island in the kitchen
- Prep sink.
- Large panty for a freezer (we want only a frig in the kitchen)
- drawer microwave
- 4 gas hobs and a flex induction unit - don't know about the ovens..
- Garage doesn't have to be attached, but 3 car and attached would be nice.
- Garage on the same side as the kitchen, pantry.
- MRB main floor. Large shower, simple stand alone tub
-Main floor study with access to full bath
- Square stairs (not J or circular) - prefer stairs in the middle or back of house.
- We like the Elberton Plan -- we would like to enlarge the study bath a bit and add a bathroom off the back somewhere.

I am hoping someone out there knows of a plan that matches our desires. If figure it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Consulting with a local architect can give you exactly what you need and some of what you want as well. And it's likely to be less expensive in the long run than buying something that isn't quite right off of the net and paying someone local to do revisions and engineering for local building and lot requirements.

• nightowlrn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. My thought was that I doubt our wants and needs are particularly unique and there may be someone out there who remember a plan similar to the Elberton Way. I apologize if I have broken an unwritten GW rule as your reply seems to indicate.

We don't plan to buy off the net. However, the majority of folks here bring plans already prepared by "a local architect," which then get promptly torn apart and reconfigured by the kind people here who have so much experience understanding what does and doesn't logistically work. After seeing so many plans get ripped apart, my expectations for an architect are greatly diminished. So, when we get to that point where we have a builder and "a local architect" I am hopeful I will have the front end work done, which will save both the architect and us a lot of frustration.

Thanks again - I will continue my research on my own.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Have you seen Sara's farmhouse plan? Something like this might be a good starting point for you :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Sara's farmhouse plan

• nightowlrn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks LL. I have studied it. Very nice Sara! I love the kitchen window that will look out on the deck with perhaps a pass through window and ledge. It is definitely going in my save file. I wish I had access to a printer and a monitor larger than my laptop. (living in hotel at a new job town and waiting for our house in another state to sell).

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Hi nightowlrn,

Do you have your property for building yet? If not, it might be best to look at plans for inspiration and ideas but not try to lock in just yet. It is hard to fall in love with a plan, and then when you get a place to build it, you realize that it is not optimal! I think that is one of the reasons that folks are pointed to architects or designers, so the "suit" can be "tailor made" to fit your family and site.

To me, one of the best gains from this forum is getting to hear different perspectives on aspects of building a home. If you post a design, you might get praise, criticism, or even something completely off topic, but who knows, any of that might help especially if it gives you a new way of looking at things. For example, we are thrilled with our floor plan, though I'm sure it would get lots of criticism if posted because it wouldn't be the best for most families -- but then again, we are not typical and that is why we chose to build.

Oh, you might check out the Southern Living plan "Tucker Bayou" by Looney RIcks Kiss, it has quite a few of the items on your list :-)

Good luck!

• nightowlrn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Oaktown -- Yes - I am stalking this forum for inspiration in what works and what doesn't from expert points of view here. We are waiting for our current home in another state to sell before we purchase property. We plan on a flat lot with at most a side walk out. We are in the midwest with many flat lots, so that won't be a problem once we have cash to move forward with property and a builder selected - narrowed down to two at this time. We plan to purchase an older home on a lot we like and do a scrape and build in an area where there is a lot of that occurring. The old homes aren't quality built, so it is less expensive to start over than to remodel. We are living in a hotel and will move to a rental after the house sells and we can get our household goods delivered. I won't have months to pour over plans once the house sells .... As I stated in my first post, I was hopeful for some direction to plans that were similar to our wish list. We didn't intend to build, so I haven't dreamed for years about this -- trying to catch up :) I have conducted searches for "plans" on this site, but it isn't a perfect system. Thanks again -- I do appreciate it.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

This is not an endorsement for any of these sites -- I thought you might enjoy a few links to some plan sites that typically aren't on the first page or two of internet searches, and that don't have millions of plans. (Time to clean out my bookmarks)

Good luck!

http://allisonramseyarchitects.smugmug.com/

http://www.simplyeleganthomedesigns.com/

http://www.ourtownplans.com/plansmain.php

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022