Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaonmymind_gw

It's October 2012 - How's Your Build Progressing?

gaonmymind
11 years ago

Well here you go. I captured a pic from my video so it looks kinda bad. I had to put two pics together to get the whole thing. Framing and roof should wrap up in a week and a half.

Comments (63)

• aucorley
    11 years ago

minneapolisite, Yes it is Mountain Sage on the lap siding and Sail Cloth on the trim!

We have had a painful experience getting the installers to finish our job. First, they realized we hadn't ordered enough for the soffits so we ordered more. It took almost two weeks to get the material (don't ask, multiple issues there). Once we get the material it takes a week for those guys to come back. They work sporadically for a week and leave again. AHHHHHH!! I just want it done now because the inside is nearing completion and the outside looks like a mess still. Just frustraed!

As for the color Mountain Sage, it is beautiful in person. We have a lot of trees in the lot and it just blends in, but has a very classic craftsman touch.

I'd love to see your pics too!

• myhappyspace
    11 years ago

They tore down the old house and shed on the lot today. I'm so excited to finally be seeing the start of this.

• sadiect
    11 years ago

We've had great progress. Roof is finished, windows and doors are installed, plumbing is roughed in, electrical and HVAC are in progress...

• Karen.1288
    11 years ago

Breaking ground 7am tomorrow morning!! We have been planning this for over a year now so this is quite exciting (and a bit scary)!

• aucorley
    11 years ago

So excited to share my kitchen cabinets that were installed Friday!!

Laundry

Master Bath

• Karen.1288
    11 years ago

aucorley...what wood species and stain are your hood and island, they are beautiful!

• Beth Parsons
    11 years ago

Moving along at a snail's pace here. Just starting our 6th week framing and I am soooooo ready to move forward! We've had some bad weather holding things up and are hoping to be done framing by this Friday. My tubs and showers were delivered today and the plumber is scheduled to be out Thursday to run water lines. Have had no major complaints until today - seems like I had the 1st string framing crew working until it was time to finish the roof and now the 4th string is getting their chance to play. Meeting with builder in the morning to address some concerns. Here's where we are now - it's hard to take a good pic with all the trees in the front yard!

Front, covered porch side:

Front, garage side:

Back:

• aucorley
    11 years ago

Karen.1288, thank you! I love the cabinets and the space was literally transformed when they were arrived. Before I was worried the space would be crowded, but not I feel like it's twice a big!!

Here are the specs on the cabinets:
    Wood Species: Alder
    Kitchen Main Cabinet Finish: Hampshire Grey paint with rub through and Glazing
    Kitchen Island: Dark Walnut with tinting
    Master Vanities: Kingsport Bleachtone
    Upstairs Vanity: Dark Walnut with tinting
    Laundry: Hampshire grey paint

• chris11895
    11 years ago

After almost two years of planning and head banging we've finally torn down the old house and have started! The foundation is being dug today. So excited to finally start!!

• SAND92107
    11 years ago

Kitchen cabinets and counters in. Paint and stain this week.

• SAND92107
    11 years ago

Another shot of the kitchen. I've read a post on how to post multiple photos, I still can't figure it out. I'v copied this from Picasa but no pic, what am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help

https://picasaweb.google.com/101126745568896125224/Lot365#5798605021303933890

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

Building a house single-handed sure is a slow process! Those of you with toddlers will be sending them off to college by the time I finish this house.

The good news is that I am done with my contractor. He has been great, but my job is very small, so I did a lot of waiting for him to squeeze me in between bigger jobs.

The main floor walls are up, the garage and porch slabs are poured, and this last Thursday, we placed the roof trusses, with the help of a couple of friends and a hired crane. I can't wait to get the roof done and spend the rest of my time on Terra Firma!

• gaonmymind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flgargoyle I am so energized when I see your progress! I know doing it yourself is tough so I am always impressed by your posts.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Flgargoyle - i too am energized by your progress! Keep those pictures coming!!!

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

here is some progress photos. My wife and I are doing a lot of the work on this ourselves.
    Finished getting the Form-a-drain in place, since the photos its been leveled and rebar installed, pour concrete this week.

This photos is the ICF forms I took delivery of. They are vertical forms, not the typical stacked block. The foam is delivered next week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Follow the home building blog

• gaonmymind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lzerarc- Are you your own GC? What parts are you physically doing? I am always fascinated by those who have the aptitude to physically build the house.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

G- I am the architect (actual profession), GC, and builder. The only parts I am not doing is the install of the electrical (can not per code), plumbing (hate it), HVAC (again, code, plus Energy Star 3.0 requires certification), drywall (hate this too!) and probably some concrete flatwork.

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

So far this month my "build" is large photocopies of house plans, pluming plans and electrical plans all over my kitchen table... I hope it soon progresses into something more "livable". :)

• niteshadepromises
    11 years ago

Andi_k,
    I'm curious which model indoor/outdoor fireplace you went with there, mind sharing?

• andi_k
    11 years ago

Wow...everyone's builds look great!

niteshadepromises - we used the heat n glo Twilight II....really like it!

• gaonmymind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lzerarc - Can't wait to see it go up. Read your blog and it looks good!

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

We received 2 semi trucks of foam today. We should be pouring footings on friday and starting to set the forms this weekend possibly. I need to bring in 8 dump trucks of rock first however and spread it on the basement floor. That will take a while...

• dash3108
    11 years ago

Stucco is finished. Granite went in. Tile work in the master bath is finished. Brick arch is finished. Built ins are finished - ready to be primed and painted.

Painters are working at the house this week. And I use the word "working" loosely - (we're not happy). Were hoping to move in the second weekend of November - they need to speed it up! Electrical / plumbing / HVAC start middle of next week (fingers crossed)
    Stucco:

Kitchen with backsplash in:

Close up of backsplash:

Mudroom built:

Brick arch and beams stained:

Master closet:

Tile in master bath finished:

• kfhl
    11 years ago

It's looking great Dash! I can't wait to see it all finished. The brick arch is fabulous and the kitchen looks like it will be a dream. Looks like some well planned built-ins, too.

• caistorhick
    11 years ago

Dash3108: Your house looks great! I would love to know the backsplash tile used; colour used for both tile and grout? Also what colour are your cabinets and granite? TIA

• dash3108
    11 years ago

Sorry everyone for the multiple copies of the same picture -- I guess I didn't pay enough attention when it asks you to proof your post!!

@kfhl - Thanks!! I was working part-time as a cabinet salesperson / kitchen designer (until I had my baby two months ago) so I had spent a LOT of time planning out the kitchen! And yes, we spent a lot of time planning the built-ins as well.

@caistorhick - Thanks!!
    - The kitchen backsplash is 2x4 subway tile made by American Olean purchased at Lowes. The grout is antique white.
    - Kitchen cabinets are by Kitchen Craft - Maple Seashell
    - Granite is Alaska White

• degcds
    11 years ago

Well, we are a few weeks away from staking and permiting. We are getting extremely excited, it feels like its been forever since we started planning. We are located in Ohio and will be building in Johnstown which is about 20 minutes outside of Columbus. They started clearing out some of the woods and the dead trees. Hoping to get started with actual construction end of November beginning of December. Here is a picture of our lot- its 4 acres! Can't wait to be as far along as many of you and your homes are all so BEAUTIFUL!!!

• aucorley
    11 years ago

I can see the finish line!! We are scheduled to close the second week of November.
    Here are a few pics
    MBath floor

Hardwood Installed throughout 1st floor

Another view of hardwoods

Granite is suppose to go into today!!

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

One of my daughters bathroom.

My other girl's bathroom

Master shower seat is in progress.

Gutters were installed.

Landscaping is being installed. Irrigation went in, too. We are getting closer!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

Aucorley - beautiful!!!

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Dash3108,

I love your backsplash, I may have to use that pattern! What size are your tiles?

Aucorley, can wait to see your granite...your house is very nice!

Thanks

• dash3108
    11 years ago

They are 2x4 Thanks!! :)

• mcgmr
    11 years ago

SAND92107 - We will be starting our build within the next few weeks and looking at your kitchen and breakfast nook area it appears that we have a similar layout to yours. Does your breakfast nook open up into the family room?

Can you post a pic of your family room?

• SAND92107
    11 years ago

mcgmr-Here you go. This is the only full shot (pre kitchen/trim) I have but hopefully will give you an idea. I'll post a couple others also. Good luck with your build.

• SAND92107
    11 years ago

One more for you mcgmr

{{!gwi}}

• SAND92107
    11 years ago

Ugh, sorry!!! First time posting with iPad

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

Our well was dug yesterday, and since we have enough yield to make us happy, we picked up the building permit today! This is a pic of our site - behind the soybean field. I will post more pics when some ground starts moving on our site.

aucorley - I am looking forward to seeing pics of your kitchen with the granite. My layout is similar and I am doing the same colors as you, just grey on island and stain on perimeter. Please post as soon as it happens. :)

bowyer123 - What brick did you use? Your house looks fabulous!

• aucorley
    11 years ago

Granite pics (although poor quality photo from my phone).
    Upstairs Jack-n-Jill

Kitchen look out to the back (poorly lit)

Kitchen from LR (Colonial Dream)

Laundry (Uba Tuba)

Master vanities

And a few of the outside still in need of touch up painting

Dining room chandelier installed

Sorry for all the pics, so much has happened this week!

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Momto3, thank you! The brick is made by Columbus Brick Company and is the 'St. Louis' pattern.

Aucorley....it's really coming together! I like all of your choices in granite. We are also considering Colonial Dream, it really looks great. Keep the pictures coming!

• whallyden
    11 years ago

The important stuff finally started showing up ;)

We move in a week from Saturday...

Here is a link that might be useful: Build Blog

• gaonmymind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whallyden- I live on your blog...literally. It helps me visualize and to gauge our building milestones. Your blog is one of the best building ones I have seen. btw I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN! Your design choices are simply gorgeous.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

Here is some update. We actually completed the basement forms today. Will do the garage forms and start setting ledgers tomorrow.

This is the remaining foam forms for the main level, as well as the subslab foam for the basement that we will install next week after plumbing rough in is completed on Monday.

Here is a link that might be useful: our building blog

• mfowler423
    11 years ago

aucorley can you share info on your wood floors? Your home looks great!

• whallyden
    11 years ago

@gaonmymind: Thank-you!

• aucorley
    11 years ago

mfowler423-- The floors are from Lumber Liquidators, 3/4 inch hand scraped engineered hard woods called Tabacco Road. I have had several people ask me if they are Hickory but they aren't, I believe the wood is Acacia wood. I LOVE the variations in color where I can have any style go with it. And you can't tell really in pics, but they are covered in dust and they still looks great! So BONUS, they will appear cleaner than I'm sure they will actually be, LOL!!

Whallyden, I love you blog too! You house has a very classic craftsman meets modern feel that I love! I know you are running crazy here at the end of the build, but we love the updates!

• jclause1
    11 years ago

aucorley -- You say your flooring if from lumber liquidators. Did you have any problems with them? I have heard so many horror stories about them that it has made me think twice about even looking at their products. I love the look of your floors and that is similar to what we want to do but not sure about the retailer???

• mcgmr
    11 years ago

SAND92107 - I love your kitchen.
    Please post more pictures as your build progresses.

• aucorley
    11 years ago

Jclause1 -- We didn't have any trouble with LL. Our builder handled the ordering but I went in to pick it out. Very friendly here, and arrived ahead of schedule.

If you are under a time crunch you may not want to order,but if you have time I don't see why not.

P.S. they said Tabacco Road handscraped was their most popular.

• SAND92107
    11 years ago

mcgmr-Thank you, the appliance installation should be completed this week so I will post more pictures soon.

• SAND92107
    11 years ago

mcgmr-another photo