Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's October 2012 - How's Your Build Progressing?

Posted by gaonmymind (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 2:37

Well here you go. I captured a pic from my video so it looks kinda bad. I had to put two pics together to get the whole thing. Framing and roof should wrap up in a week and a half.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's October 2012 - How's Your Build Progressing?

Sorry I missed last month's post! We moved in mid September, but still don't have internet just yet, so it's a little painful to be online with just my cell connection right now :)

Overall, the move went well. We are still waiting on a few light fixtures to come in (kitchen pendants and main level hallway lights), but those should be here soon. The unpacking is moving along, but the boys' activities have kept us pretty busy so hopefully we'll be settled in completely after another couple weeks.

Here's a shot of the kitchen, the rest are in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics....

o

we break ground this week, finally. Had a few weeks delay with the estimator with the bank since the slightly contemporary design was "hard" for him to estimate...apparently.

o

I am hoping we are about a month away from moving in. We finally got the electricity turned on, we had been using my generator for the whole build. It's nice to be able to work past dark now and be able to see what you're doing.

Photobucket

o

Andi_K
Wow, wow, wow, and wow!!
I knew your house was going to be gorgeous and it is. Congratulations.
I just love it - everything is so well thought out and you picked out such nice finishing touches. Since I just finished picking out mirrors (I'm done!) I can really appreciate the thought that went into all those decisions.
What I like best about your house is that as gorgeous as it is, I think it looks like it wants to be lived in - I know I could live in your house and be happy.
Enjoy!
(trying not to be nosy and ask for the background between you and Verizon, when we move, we'll be lucky to get cell phone reception : )

o

momo7 - thank you so much! It was definitely a process, but I had tons of great help! And, I saw your comments re: the cherry cabs on another post...they look absolutely beautiful! I love unstained cherry! Looking forward to seeing more pics :)

o

Andi K - love your blog! Do you have building details somewhere? I love the color in your master bedroom - the soft sage green. I've been looking for a good sage green & that's what I had in mind. Thanks! :)

o

Echo the sentiment about Andi_K's build & how it wants to be lived in! Luv the floors Andi!
It's a home!

o

melaska - Thanks! re: your question on building details - do you mean the floor plans? That's posted on the blog in April. For everything else, I have them in one place or another :) Most in a huge spreadsheet, others on my builder's selection web page! The master bedroom color is SW Svelte Sage...we did the ceiling/angled walls in a couple shades lighter - SW Nonchalant White.

pbx2 - thanks! The floors are one of my favorites - no doubt! They are reclaimed oak beam sawn floors from Appalachian Woods in Stuarts Draft, VA. And, actually, not nearly as expensive when compared to other hardwood flooring.

o

Our guest bathroom is being tiled.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Our master bathroom travertine is stacked and ready to be laid.

We have painted the outside dormers and all trim

We have most of our upstairs doors installed and trim work has begun. The doors will be removed and painted later.

o

We are finally nearing the end, I hope! Paint is finished today, cabinets Friday, floor next week!
Here's a few misc. pics of the progress...

Stair case being built!
Mud Room Bench
Front of the house..

We've locked in our rate so the race is on to make sure we are closed BEFORE 13 Nov.

o

Basement walls poured today!

o

aucorley is that Mountain Sage hardiboard? Looks a LOT like our house! :) We even have white windows with cream trim like yours. :)

o

Lots going on: sheetrocking, finishing roof. Hope to have rainwater collection tank erected toward the end of the month, then the adventure of connecting it all up begins. Wouldn't you know it's rained quite a bit lately, and us with no tank. Still aiming for Christmas.

o

minneapolisite, Yes it is Mountain Sage on the lap siding and Sail Cloth on the trim!

We have had a painful experience getting the installers to finish our job. First, they realized we hadn't ordered enough for the soffits so we ordered more. It took almost two weeks to get the material (don't ask, multiple issues there). Once we get the material it takes a week for those guys to come back. They work sporadically for a week and leave again. AHHHHHH!! I just want it done now because the inside is nearing completion and the outside looks like a mess still. Just frustraed!

As for the color Mountain Sage, it is beautiful in person. We have a lot of trees in the lot and it just blends in, but has a very classic craftsman touch.

I'd love to see your pics too!

o

They tore down the old house and shed on the lot today. I'm so excited to finally be seeing the start of this.

o

We've had great progress. Roof is finished, windows and doors are installed, plumbing is roughed in, electrical and HVAC are in progress...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Breaking ground 7am tomorrow morning!! We have been planning this for over a year now so this is quite exciting (and a bit scary)!

o

So excited to share my kitchen cabinets that were installed Friday!!
Laundry
Master Bath

o

aucorley...what wood species and stain are your hood and island, they are beautiful!

o

Moving along at a snail's pace here. Just starting our 6th week framing and I am soooooo ready to move forward! We've had some bad weather holding things up and are hoping to be done framing by this Friday. My tubs and showers were delivered today and the plumber is scheduled to be out Thursday to run water lines. Have had no major complaints until today - seems like I had the 1st string framing crew working until it was time to finish the roof and now the 4th string is getting their chance to play. Meeting with builder in the morning to address some concerns. Here's where we are now - it's hard to take a good pic with all the trees in the front yard!

Front, covered porch side:

IMG_3440

Front, garage side:

IMG_3424

Back:

IMG_3430

o

Karen.1288, thank you! I love the cabinets and the space was literally transformed when they were arrived. Before I was worried the space would be crowded, but not I feel like it's twice a big!!

Here are the specs on the cabinets:
Wood Species: Alder
Kitchen Main Cabinet Finish: Hampshire Grey paint with rub through and Glazing
Kitchen Island: Dark Walnut with tinting
Master Vanities: Kingsport Bleachtone
Upstairs Vanity: Dark Walnut with tinting
Laundry: Hampshire grey paint

o

After almost two years of planning and head banging we've finally torn down the old house and have started! The foundation is being dug today. So excited to finally start!!

o

Kitchen cabinets and counters in. Paint and stain this week.

o

Another shot of the kitchen. I've read a post on how to post multiple photos, I still can't figure it out. I'v copied this from Picasa but no pic, what am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help

https://picasaweb.google.com/101126745568896125224/Lot365#5798605021303933890

o

Building a house single-handed sure is a slow process! Those of you with toddlers will be sending them off to college by the time I finish this house.

The good news is that I am done with my contractor. He has been great, but my job is very small, so I did a lot of waiting for him to squeeze me in between bigger jobs.

The main floor walls are up, the garage and porch slabs are poured, and this last Thursday, we placed the roof trusses, with the help of a couple of friends and a hired crane. I can't wait to get the roof done and spend the rest of my time on Terra Firma!

Photobucket

o

Flgargoyle I am so energized when I see your progress! I know doing it yourself is tough so I am always impressed by your posts.

o

Flgargoyle - i too am energized by your progress! Keep those pictures coming!!!

o

here is some progress photos. My wife and I are doing a lot of the work on this ourselves.
Finished getting the Form-a-drain in place, since the photos its been leveled and rebar installed, pour concrete this week.
Photobucket

This photos is the ICF forms I took delivery of. They are vertical forms, not the typical stacked block. The foam is delivered next week.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Follow the home building blog

o

lzerarc- Are you your own GC? What parts are you physically doing? I am always fascinated by those who have the aptitude to physically build the house.

o

G- I am the architect (actual profession), GC, and builder. The only parts I am not doing is the install of the electrical (can not per code), plumbing (hate it), HVAC (again, code, plus Energy Star 3.0 requires certification), drywall (hate this too!) and probably some concrete flatwork.

o

So far this month my "build" is large photocopies of house plans, pluming plans and electrical plans all over my kitchen table... I hope it soon progresses into something more "livable". :)

o

Andi_k,
I'm curious which model indoor/outdoor fireplace you went with there, mind sharing?

o

Wow...everyone's builds look great!

niteshadepromises - we used the heat n glo Twilight II....really like it!

o

lzerarc - Can't wait to see it go up. Read your blog and it looks good!

o

We received 2 semi trucks of foam today. We should be pouring footings on friday and starting to set the forms this weekend possibly. I need to bring in 8 dump trucks of rock first however and spread it on the basement floor. That will take a while...

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Stucco is finished. Granite went in. Tile work in the master bath is finished. Brick arch is finished. Built ins are finished - ready to be primed and painted.

Painters are working at the house this week. And I use the word "working" loosely - (we're not happy). Were hoping to move in the second weekend of November - they need to speed it up! Electrical / plumbing / HVAC start middle of next week (fingers crossed)
Stucco:
Photobucket
Kitchen with backsplash in:
Photobucket
Close up of backsplash:
Photobucket
Mudroom built:
Photobucket

Brick arch and beams stained:
Photobucket
Master closet:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Tile in master bath finished:
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

It's looking great Dash! I can't wait to see it all finished. The brick arch is fabulous and the kitchen looks like it will be a dream. Looks like some well planned built-ins, too.

o

Dash3108: Your house looks great! I would love to know the backsplash tile used; colour used for both tile and grout? Also what colour are your cabinets and granite? TIA

o

Sorry everyone for the multiple copies of the same picture -- I guess I didn't pay enough attention when it asks you to proof your post!!

@kfhl - Thanks!! I was working part-time as a cabinet salesperson / kitchen designer (until I had my baby two months ago) so I had spent a LOT of time planning out the kitchen! And yes, we spent a lot of time planning the built-ins as well.

@caistorhick - Thanks!!
- The kitchen backsplash is 2x4 subway tile made by American Olean purchased at Lowes. The grout is antique white.
- Kitchen cabinets are by Kitchen Craft - Maple Seashell
- Granite is Alaska White

o

Well, we are a few weeks away from staking and permiting. We are getting extremely excited, it feels like its been forever since we started planning. We are located in Ohio and will be building in Johnstown which is about 20 minutes outside of Columbus. They started clearing out some of the woods and the dead trees. Hoping to get started with actual construction end of November beginning of December. Here is a picture of our lot- its 4 acres! Can't wait to be as far along as many of you and your homes are all so BEAUTIFUL!!!

o
More Updates!

I can see the finish line!! We are scheduled to close the second week of November.
Here are a few pics
MBath floor
Photobucket
Hardwood Installed throughout 1st floor
Photobucket
Another view of hardwoods
Photobucket

Granite is suppose to go into today!!

o

One of my daughters bathroom.

My other girl's bathroom
Master shower seat is in progress.

Gutters were installed.

Landscaping is being installed. Irrigation went in, too. We are getting closer!

o

Aucorley - beautiful!!!

o

Dash3108,

I love your backsplash, I may have to use that pattern! What size are your tiles?

Aucorley, can wait to see your granite...your house is very nice!

Thanks

o

They are 2x4 Thanks!! :)

o

SAND92107 - We will be starting our build within the next few weeks and looking at your kitchen and breakfast nook area it appears that we have a similar layout to yours. Does your breakfast nook open up into the family room?

Can you post a pic of your family room?

o

mcgmr-Here you go. This is the only full shot (pre kitchen/trim) I have but hopefully will give you an idea. I'll post a couple others also. Good luck with your build.

o

One more for you mcgmr

o

One more for you mcgmr

o

One more for you mcgmr

o

One more for you mcgmr

o

One more for you mcgmr

o

Ugh, sorry!!! First time posting with iPad

o

Our well was dug yesterday, and since we have enough yield to make us happy, we picked up the building permit today! This is a pic of our site - behind the soybean field. I will post more pics when some ground starts moving on our site.

aucorley - I am looking forward to seeing pics of your kitchen with the granite. My layout is similar and I am doing the same colors as you, just grey on island and stain on perimeter. Please post as soon as it happens. :)

bowyer123 - What brick did you use? Your house looks fabulous!

o

Granite pics (although poor quality photo from my phone).
Upstairs Jack-n-Jill
Kitchen look out to the back (poorly lit)
Kitchen from LR (Colonial Dream)
Laundry (Uba Tuba)
Master vanities
And a few of the outside still in need of touch up painting
Dining room chandelier installed

Sorry for all the pics, so much has happened this week!

o

Momto3, thank you! The brick is made by Columbus Brick Company and is the 'St. Louis' pattern.

Aucorley....it's really coming together! I like all of your choices in granite. We are also considering Colonial Dream, it really looks great. Keep the pictures coming!

o

The important stuff finally started showing up ;)

We move in a week from Saturday...

Here is a link that might be useful: Build Blog

o

Whallyden- I live on your blog...literally. It helps me visualize and to gauge our building milestones. Your blog is one of the best building ones I have seen. btw I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN! Your design choices are simply gorgeous.

o

Here is some update. We actually completed the basement forms today. Will do the garage forms and start setting ledgers tomorrow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the remaining foam forms for the main level, as well as the subslab foam for the basement that we will install next week after plumbing rough in is completed on Monday.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: our building blog

o

aucorley can you share info on your wood floors? Your home looks great!

o

@gaonmymind: Thank-you!

o

mfowler423-- The floors are from Lumber Liquidators, 3/4 inch hand scraped engineered hard woods called Tabacco Road. I have had several people ask me if they are Hickory but they aren't, I believe the wood is Acacia wood. I LOVE the variations in color where I can have any style go with it. And you can't tell really in pics, but they are covered in dust and they still looks great! So BONUS, they will appear cleaner than I'm sure they will actually be, LOL!!

Whallyden, I love you blog too! You house has a very classic craftsman meets modern feel that I love! I know you are running crazy here at the end of the build, but we love the updates!

o

aucorley -- You say your flooring if from lumber liquidators. Did you have any problems with them? I have heard so many horror stories about them that it has made me think twice about even looking at their products. I love the look of your floors and that is similar to what we want to do but not sure about the retailer???

o

SAND92107 - I love your kitchen.
Please post more pictures as your build progresses.

o

Jclause1 -- We didn't have any trouble with LL. Our builder handled the ordering but I went in to pick it out. Very friendly here, and arrived ahead of schedule.

If you are under a time crunch you may not want to order,but if you have time I don't see why not.

P.S. they said Tabacco Road handscraped was their most popular.

o

mcgmr-Thank you, the appliance installation should be completed this week so I will post more pictures soon.

o

mcgmr-another photo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here