Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s_and_e

Request Analysis of Floorplan for build

EandS
9 years ago

I have worked with a local builder to design the floor plan as attached. I am seeking advice on if the layout and space utilization is sensible.

This plan is meant to house four adults. A couple [both currently in good health], an elderly mother with vision and mobility impairment and a brother with mobility and cardiac impairment.

The desired goal is a comfortable house with adequate privacy for four adults with the following considerations:

1. Due to mobility concerns:
a. Bedrooms for the two non-couple adults must be
on the entry level of the home.
b. The house must have the minimum possible
amount of stairs.
2. The two non-couple adults wish to have sleeping
quarters that are as close as possible.
3. The two non-couple adults should have access to
a private grooming area at a minimum. Prefer to
have full en-suite bathrooms but willing to go with
a Jack & Jill arrangement to save costs.
4. Desire a third secondary bedroom for overnight guests.
5, The two cooks desire a large kitchen with plenty of
storage and a large pantry.
6, Require substantial amounts of storage/closet space
as we live in an area with four distinct seasons.
7. Desire a sunroom for the Mother so she can enjoy the
view of the outdoors and potentially have a hobby space.
8. Desire a three car garage. Currently only two cars but
other space can be used for storage/workshop space.
9. Wife wants unusually large closet for clothes and shoes
display/storage.

We are NOT going for full ADA compliance.

Changes already planned but not incorporated into the uploaded plan:

a. Two of the secondary baths will have zero threshold
showers replacing the tubs currently shown.
b. Garage will be expanded to 22' depth vs. the 20' depth
shown.
c. Rear covered porch will be increased in depth from
7' to 10' and converted into a sunroom.
d. Pantry [near garage] door will swing outward instead
of inward to increase space for storage.

Features:
I. The water heater and stove will be gas powered.
II. The circuit breaker box will be sized for 200 Amp,
and capable of 60 circuits when filled with breakers.
III. The circuit breaker box will be equipped for the
addition of a standby generator.
IV. Flooring: Bedrooms/Closets [carpet]; Wet areas [tile];
all others [hardwood]

Comments (3)

• mrspete
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Master:

- I understand you want an "unusually large closet", but consider the proportions. This closet has lots of "empty space" in the middle of the closet, which is wasted. A long, narrow rectangle provides the most wall space, and that's what you want in a closet.

- I can't read the numbers, but the toilet - tub - shower side of the bathroom looks small /squished. The toilet closet especially looks tiny -- it looks to be only inches wider than the toilet itself. This could be made more comfortable by reducing that "empty space" in the middle of the closet.

- The bathroom also is too wide for comfort -- the two sides are too far apart. I'd bring the sink side towards the right, allowing for a very nice closet by the front door (or a recessed spot for a large hall table).

- Have you considered furniture placement in the great room? It's a large room, but the dimensions are odd. It would work better if you move the fireplace to the bedroom wall . . . it would allow the furniture to spread out around the fireplace.

- I'd say the same thing of the kitchen: It's a large room, but it has so much "empty space" in the middle of the room. The cabinets are too far apart for comfort . . . yet you don't have space enough for an island.

- It'd be nice if the dining room could be closer to the kitchen.

- I think the back entrance is a little skimpy. Imagine your mother one day has a walker or a wheelchair -- getting her in and out would be easier if that space were a little larger. I'd also want at least a counter or a space for keys and purses.

- The "cafe" -- cute name -- is a little narrow, given that it's ALSO acting as a hallway. I think you'd be okay if you do a built-in banquette bench on the back wall.

- The secondary bedrooms look okay, but their bathrooms are all quite minimal. No storage. No space for a hamper. I'd rather see a nice-sized jack-and-jill instead of two separate skimpy bathrooms. I'd place the j-and-j between the two bedrooms on the far left . . . and that would mean that one adult would have the front bedroom/bath, and the second adult would have the back bedroom/j-and-j, which would be shared on occasion when you have overnight guests.

- I'd consider making the front bathroom a jack-and-jill with the powder room. That is, let the powder room stand "as is" . . . but add a door to connect to the now-minimal front bath . . . remove the toilet from that bathroom. This would mean the occupant of the front bedroom could have a larger, more comfortable vanity area . . . and have the toilet through the door. It would cut out one toilet from your plan too. One less expensive item to buy, one less toilet to clean every week.

- Given that your mother is elderly, I'd also suggest that at least one bathroom be outfitted with a walk-in shower in place of the tub. As she grows older, she may find it more and more difficult to lift her legs up over the edge of the tub. A walk-in shower the same size as the tub will also allow her to have a shower stool. Keep in mind, too, that a shower is cheaper than a tub -- that never hurts.

- You said your mother wants a sunroom - hobby room, and that isn't on the plan now. I don't know which direction is the preferred side for a sunroom, but I'd consider making the spare bedroom into a sunroom. Use a day bed /trundle (the trundles can pop up to form two twins OR a king) and a couple comfortable chairs. This would allow her to have her room . . . and it would double as a guest room occasionally.

• EandS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MrsPete

Thanks for the suggestions. You make some very good points. I will incorporate them into our next revision.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Before reading your post, I was looking at the article linked below, have a look? There's a floorplan at the bottom and maybe you could get some ideas.

How wonderful for you to build a house that includes extended family. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: One level house