Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Southerland by Don Gardner

Posted by kramerkel (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 13, 11 at 0:38

Here is the land on which we are building our home.
The view that will be from my front porch
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This is the view from the field --- this will look at the right/rear of the home

Follow-Up Postings:

o
photos of the plan

First floor
Second floor
There will be a full basement as well.
We are starting the basement the 1st wk of Nov

o
RE: Southerland by Don Gardner

This is the north view which will be the master bedroom side. The white and red metal bldg will be torn down.

o

Hooray! Glad you found something you'll all enjoy.

o

Keep us posted with lots of pictures! Lovely land you are building on.

o

Thanks!!! Will keep pics coming as we progress!

o

We were also looking similar project.

out of curiosity, what is you estimated cost / budget.

This is not a cheap house....

o

We are still getting bids, but we are GCing this project ourselves and doing a lot of work on our own. We are expecting at least 250k. When I get bids on material and other items I will let ya know.

o

I don't know if this will work with your lifestyle, but if you put the fireplace on the other wall, you could have another fireplace in the master bedroom and share the chimney. Looking out at that beautiful view, enjoying the fire and watching the snow fall...would be wonderful from either room :)

o

We built this house in 2006, great house!

o

tinker_2006,

Could you tell what was your budget, and if you made changes from standard plan.

o
Breaking ground

Tinker 2006 --- did you contract yourself or have someone else GC?? What was your budget?

Broke ground today
Looking into the basement area
Looking out from the basement. This will be my view!

o
bids coming in

We have bids on some items-- materials from 1 company 51,000. This is all framing, shingles, windows (which were vinyl) we want wood, hardiboard siding, all porch materials as well.
Framing labor cost --appx 12,000 (amish framer)
Flooring (if all wood including labor) 20,000
Dig and septic 12,000
Basement appx 18,000 (we are doing ourselves w/ help of brother n law who does concrete for a living).
Will post other prices as they come in.

o
Day 2

The basement is dug out! We will have a walkout basement w/ patio and a nice yard for the kids to play
Looking into basement area

o

We have to footings poured and then we were delayed w/ a rainstorm. 3 days of rain doesn't help. Thank the Lord it is dry today. The guys are at it again. Today is clean up the mess from the rain and try to set the wall forms. Yeah!!! We are praying for 2 weeks of good weather to get the walls and floors poured.

o
Forming the basement walls

Forming up the basement walls. Hope to be pouring concrete by Tuesday

o

http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?T=1139053&sk=30&prt=10003
link to a visual tour of a home like what we are building.

Here is a link that might be useful: Visual tour

o
The walls are up and the floor is poured

We finally had enough dry days to pour concrete!
We have sealed the back and are now back filling.

o

Thanks for updating us on the project! Taking a 'time out' for the holidays?

o
Holidays!

Not trying to take anytime out. We are back filling and then waiting on the Framers. We will know tonight when he thinks he will be here. Jan we will be taking a cruise--- this will be a much needed break!! Posting more pics later this week.

o

Walls are sealed and drain tile is layed

Floors are in but we layed straw to keep it from freeing!

o
Back Filled

o
Waiting

So here it is the first of the year and we are waiting! The weather has not cooperated with us. Our framer is now starting on the house on Jan 16th, 2012 a month and a half later than planned. Praying for excellent weather here in the Mid Ohio Valley so that we have no more delays.

o

It is January 19, 2012 and we are waiting on the framers. Ugh!! The weather has not worked with us. They should be here Monday.

o

I love your pics - they give such a clear idea of the process of laying the foundation. Very educational!

o

Thanks! Hope to have pics Monday. This weather has just fought us every step of the way. Once we are framed the weather won't matter a whole lot.

o

kramerkel, approx where in the Mid Oh Valley are you? County?

o

MOV caught my eye. "Go Big Reds!!"

o
And the walls go up

Washington County, Ohio
Enjoy the progress!
putting up part of the back wall
front of the house
Interior view

o

It's looking good
Interior walls are up

o

Thanks so much for the updates! It's a beautiful plan!

o

Kramerkel - Congrats on your new home! That's a beautiful setting and one of my all time favorite Gardner two-story plans. Who know's, by some of the comments I'm getting on our floorplan (modified Carinthia by Gardner) and considering we're way over budget and haven't broken ground yet, we may end up building this plan instead. Did you make any mods from the orignal other than the walkout basement

o

DCRanger-- we changed the front main elevation to only have windows-- not french doors at the dining room and the room across from the dining. We didn't do any transoms. We took out the door from the hall off the kitchen. We changed the coat closet to only open to the area before the master entry. There was one on the other side in the room that is across from the dining. Changed the back french doors to 8' w/o transoms. Changed the length of the garage by 4'. I think that is all. Can't wait to get the trusses on the roof.

o

kramerkel - I think you made great changes. I would also agree with changing from french doors in the front to windows and getting rid of the transoms. I guess having a basement eliminates the small closet off the foyer so adding the coat closet by the Master made sense. Look forward to pictures. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

o

And the trusses go up!

o

Front of house
back of house

o

Bonus room/ Tv game room
I forgot to say that we extended the garage 6'-- so it made this room 6' longer---LOVE IT!!
Caught the little man playing in the mud!
The front --the roof is completely dried in now!! Windows/Doors to be installed Monday

o
Color choices

Colors we are thinking about for the interior. We like the lighter green for the exterior hard board siding.

o

Beautiful piece of land; that house is going to be great.

o

Thanks!!!

o
Windows

Windows being installed
tretratone =color of windows-- I love it!
window over entry door---prairie style grid

o

Wow - Love the windows! Your house is going to beautiful! I say that because it actually helped us decide that we are going to build it too! Here's our story/situation.....we bought the Don Gardner "Callaway" house plan about a year ago while we worked on finding a piece of land we liked, thinking it was definitely the house for us. So, we bought our land in late November, got our instructions from the bank for an owner/builder loan and started getting quotes, etc to fill in the budget sheet. Well, on Monday, we filled in a few of the last numbers and came to find that to build the house with the things we want in it -we are spending WAY more than what we wanted....even taking into account our sweat equity, the house is 3200 sf and with bonus space, etc its just too much with the multiple steel beams, hvac system(s), etc. We have 3 kids and would still like to go on vaca and actually have money left at the end of the month to feed them!! lol......so, we went back to the drawing board on Monday night to settle on another plan ASAP because we want to start building in March and found the Southerland on Gardner's site - which is VERY similar in layout to the Callaway with less sq footage, etc but all of the features we were looking for. I did a google search to see if there were any pix of the house and wa-la, we found you! My husband has a lady his dad knows drawing us up a print based on the pix beause he doesnt want to spend another $2000 - Im not so sure Im cool with that but he thinks it will be fine. We shall see! As far as any changes we plan to make - we are going to do windows in the front of the house instead of doors (like you did)..probably close off the door in the kitchen across from the stairs going up (we already have a kitchen plan drawn up from Manor House Kitchens (we are from the Burgh - go Steelers! LOl) and the Southerland has the same kitchen layout as the Callaway (without the opening for that door), and the one other thing is that we want to bump out the utility room toward the back of the house to make a nice mud room (we have 3 boys - lots of mud)...if we can squeeze a big pantry in there, we will too cuz the Callaway had a nice walk in pantry in that area of the house that we really liked. Well, enough for now. We would be really interested in any cost info you can share on your budget sheet. Like your septic/dig we saw at $12k. We had a quote from someone on the Callawy for our septic/dig - at $46K!!! OMG. It would just be nice to see how your actual numbers are coming in so we can compare to make sure our estimates are close or way out of the ballpark. The whole point of doing owner/builder is to SAVE money - not get ripped off, right??? We are thinking we will hopefully come in around $300K or under. The Callaway was going to be around $380K...okay, so enough for now - hope to see more pix and here from you soon!

o

My home had almost the same layout as yours. The exterior was not the same style - but a more tradional/brick european look. I do believe it was a Don Gardner, we built it about 13 years ago.
I LOVED the layout - everyone that visited loved the flow. High open ceilings and a very wide home. We did add a sunroom off the MB and also an office off the living room. That's probably why the house got soo wide.
I hope you enjoy your home as much as I did mine.
It was a very easy home to live and entertain in. One of the things we wished we would have done, was put an outside staircase to the basement -oops we forgot. We did have crawlspace under some of the house, as the basement was very large and we didn't need it that big.

o

Dixie331--- we did block the door in the kitchen as well. We think it will flow much better. We took out the transoms above the doors and made them 8' tall. We love it. They were installed today and it is amazing. We extended the length of the garage 6' which made the laundry room longer--- room for mudroom. (not a big one,but it will work). We used floor trusses in the basement so it is wide open. email me: scrapindivas@yahoo.com and we can talk and go over #'s. You guys are more than welcome to come walk thru our home. we live 2 hrs from the Burgh. just outside of Marietta, Oh
Our windows we got from Home Depot for 19k --the top of line Anderson we also went w/ the same for our doors.
entry way
entry way
jeannie01 ---Thanks--- I think we will love it. We love our property and can't wait to get moved out there.

o

Hi kramerkel - That's a heckuva deal for windows at $19K. Are those the 400 Series Woodrights or regular 400 Series? I like the Prairie style.

o

DCRanger--They are the A series. They are wood windows. They had specials going on when we ordered. It normally would have cost us 28k. We got an awesome deal.
We love the prairie style too!

o
Pouring wing walls tomorrow

Well our driveway is done and stone laid. Looks amazing and it is much safer now. Pics to follow soon. Today was a nasty weather day. Tornados everywhere --Thank you Lord they didn't come near my home. But the rain made another muddy mess. We have the wingwalls going up tomorrow-- hopefully the concrete trucks don't get stuck in the mud. LOL Shingles are being delivered tomorrow. So by next week we should have some good pics. Monday our slab in the garage will be poured and our back patio as well. We should start on the a/c layout and electrical next week too! Getting excited to see all this coming together.

o
driveway

Here is the new driveway. I don't have a pic with the stone yet.

o

Drive way
Front yard leveled out

o
Kitchen

This is a picture of the kitchen cabinets we like and the flooring we like.

o

Enjoying following your progress! Did you work with Don Gardner to make any changes to your plan? We have picked out a DG plan and I've been working on the modifications I want. Our plan is to have DG designers make the changes so am curious if you used their services.

o

Thanks! No we did not make modifications through their services. It was going to cost a small forturne for the small changes that we wanted. We actually changed the length of our garage while we were laying out footers. LOL It is a min of 8 hrs paid no matter if you need 8 hrs of their services. We just let our framer know what we were changing and he went with it. We ordered our windows and doors and he went off the order for sizes of windows and doors. It was not hard at all just marking on the plans of what we changed. Good luck on your build.

o
Garage slab/ patio/ and roofing

Here are some updated photos! We now have our garage slab and patio out back. Our roof is coming along. It rained us out today. Hoping to get done by Sat.
Garage slab
Patio
Roof
Overview of the back

o
Siding

We should be putting our siding on in about 2 wks. The roof is almost done. My husband is doing his self to save on $$$. So the process is taking a little longer than we would like.

o
Deck

Deck

o
A/C, electric, and plumbing

A/C 18k
Electric-- material only--3k
Plumbing-- 7,950k

A/C is going in now, electric is going in, plumbing will start next week.
We are doing LED lights in a lot of the rooms. Expensive to start, but will save on the electric bill.

o

What type of HVAC system did you decide to go with? Did you choose a Heat Pump? One or 2 System? My husband is unsure at this point if we are going with 1 or 2...We are doing a hybrid heat pump with propane secondary......still getting prices. We are doing the electric and plumbing ourselves. Should be fun! lol

o

Dixie 331---Hybrid heat pump w/ gas back up. 2 system. 1 system isn't enough. We are also doing 2 - 85 gal water tanks. Our electric company has rebates and the tub I have takes alot. So we are doing 2 to make sure we have enough hot water. We are doing to electric right now. Placement of lights is fun, but scary. I just don't want to make a mistake of not having a light somewhere or not liking where we put it. Hope it all comes out the way we want. We are going with LED lights in most of the house. They are bright and cheap on electric. Not so cheap staring off. Have you started yet??? Do you have any pics on here?? Keep me posted.

o
Update

Plumber showed up today and started cutting holes for drains and water lines. I will have to say the upstairs bathrooms are not set up well on this plan for plumbing :(
A/c is going good. Electric is almost done! Siding, trim, soffit and fasica is in-- It will be delivered Mon or Tues. Things are rockin and rollin.
Found a ceiling fan for the great room---
http://www.hansenwholesale.com/ceilingfans/kichler/model.asp?ProdNo=300106TZ

o

The fan is pretty! I've been looking at elec fixtures too. There is a fan from Restoration Hardware that I like. We are just waiting for the appraiser to come back to the bank to complete our loan process - should be closing in the next 2 weeks and starting to dig! Getting excited!!! Im working on a project plan so we have a timeline to go by, and starting to put a schedule together of when we need to order things. Seems overwhelming right now! So what color and type of siding did you decide to go with?

o

Dixie 331-- thks. The fan uses minimal electric. If it was on full speed 24 hrs a day 365 days a year it would only use $38 a year. Siding has started. WE went with hardi pland and we are going with green . Once I pick the exact color I will post it . You are still more than welcome t come check ours out. Plumbing for the upstairs bathrooms were tight. The guest bathroom plumbing had to go though my closet corner. UGH!

o

We put that fan in our great room and its a real beauty! We got the large one (72") and it circulates nicely in our room (19x21). It is my favorite fan of the 10 we bought for our home.

o

Downsy---- Thanks for your input. That makes me feel better about buying it. You always hope that you make the right choices.

Siding is going on and looking good

o

The siding looks great. Is it primed or is it precolored? Looks like Heathered Moss from Hardie.

Amazed at your progress, I know you are excited!! Keep the pics coming, we love them!!

o

Thank you aucorley! It is primed only, but yes it is a pretty color as is.
This is the siding with some color on it. Color is Spanish Galleon from Behr

o
Siding, fascia, soffit

Siding color will be Spanish Galleon
Fascia, soffit, and trim will all be Sandtone
Porch posts and railing will be white
Not sure on deck stain color yet

o
Front of house

Siding on front is almost complete

o

Wow - the house looks absolutely GREAT!!! I love the colors you decided on! We are closing in 3 weeks so hopefully soon I will have some pictures of at least a hole in the ground! I will be happy with anything at this point! How exciting - things seem to be moving along really well for you! We are still undecided on exterior colors. May do white, black shutters/metal roof on porch and wood front door. Its so hard to decide! I admire you for not being afraid of color - its going to look beautiful!

o

Thanks! I love color. I found a building in a nearby town that had a green that I liked. So I got all the greens I could find and went to match. I finally found the one that matched it. I love it! We live in a white house right now, and I don't like it. I just have to have color. White w/ black shutters would look pretty on this house though. We didn't do a wood door b/c of the possiblity of rot. We went with one that looked like a wood door. I love it.
Our decks are done. We still have to put the posts up. The siding is 1/2 done. We are doing ourselves. I got to see some of my kitchen cabinets today. Oh my!!! They are beautiful! Made out of hickory. Lots of color and detail in them. Can't wait to see your build.

o
Siding

Siding is done on the main level and basement.
Siding is done on the front 2nd story level. Now onto the left elevation. Hope to have this complete by the end of the week.
Woohoo!!! Pics to follow soon

o
Porch ceilings

Today we begin the porch ceilings. I will be taking pics today of the siding and celings.
We have color on the 2nd story gable ends. Woohoo! I love the color we chose. It looks amazing. Can't wait to see the whole house painted.

o
Paint

Paint on 2nd story Gable

o

It looks great so far! Cant wait to see more of it. I'm really enjoying following along on your building journey. :)

o

Thank you!
Here is the back porch ceiling.

o
Flowers in bloom

o

We started our dig yesterday !!! Im so excited. Will start posting some pix soon. Your home is looking great! More pix please!!!!!

o

Awesome Dixie331!!! So excited for you. Can't wait to watch your progress. What will your title be?? We will have drywall coming sometime next week. The exterior paint will continue next week. Still undecided on flooring. Going to check out lumber liquidators soon.

o

We just went to lumber liquidators today - its funny but my husband's dad is starting to work for them next week so we are hoping we can get a discount! The color we like is called tobacco road teak.

o

LOL!!! That is the same flooring that we were talking about doing. Not sure yet what we are doing, but we have to make decisions soon. We are going to talk to our guy at Home Depot and see if he can give us a good deal. If not we are hitting Lumber Liquidators. Hope you had a good weekend. We took yesterday off to play in the lake with some friends. Wore us and the kids out, but was nice to not think about the house yesterday.
Drywallers officially start Thursday. Painter starts today.

o

Did you go with the interior columns? I noticed they were part of the design, but the virtual tour thats posted has transoms above the dining room and study doors.

o

We are not doing any columns or transoms. We are leaving it open. With the rustic look we didn't think it would go with the columns. Drywall is starting today. Finally!!! Feels like we haven't gotten much done in the last 2 weeks, but we had lots of little things that needed done. Where are you on your build Dixie331?

o

I agree about the interior columns - makes it too formal I think. We are going to do the transoms above the doorways I think. So far, we have our hole dug, and the footer is being framed in this week.... So far so good on weather! My husband being the electrical geek that he is just ordered a ton of stuff for security, intercom, cameras - and some smarthome stuff so we can control the lights, power, etc from an app on our phone. Im clueless but hes excited about it. He splurges there, I splurge then on the kitchen!!!

okay - so you really need to take some pix of the house and post them. Very anxious to see it coming together!!!

o

Your in luck! LOL I just took some today. Drywall is going great. The upstairs is hung! Porch floor in front is being stained. Glad all is going well for you. You should really try to come down to see what you do like and don't like before you frame it up.

o
Drywall is going up

Kids bathrooom
Bonus room

o

Should be painting next week. Bought most of the tile for the bathrooms and also bought for the kitchen and laundry room floor. Pics to post later

o
Gutters done

Front elevation: Gutters are done, exterior paint is almost complete. Pic doesn't show the true color
Garage door is installed today 6-22-12
Back elevation:

o

I love the color! We are going with a color called Scottish Thistle - its a mix between green and grey - I think its Mastic siding. What color shutters are you going to do? The back is beautiful! We are going to have to do a side walk out basement (similar to the one in the virtual tour) because of the scape of our land. Are you finishing your basement with your build? I would love to - we have to see how our budget goes first. Love the pix!!!

o

Yard work getting done.
Basket weave pattern on kitchen ceiling
Swirl pattern
Brick pattern

o
House

Yard work
Dixie331-- I am so glad to hear you found a color you like. My husband is not sure if he wants shutters bc of the trim around the windows. We aren't finishing the basement yet due to budget. We start painting this weekend.

o
Landscape

o

Your house is coming along soo nice.I just love Don's house plans.Your Home is Beautiful.I like where the garage is located,on the side.That's where all garages should be if it was up to me.Looking forward to seeing it all done and finished.

o

Thanks so much. We started painting today. I love where the garage is also. We set up a total new drive just for it.

o
Paint

Bonus room has started:
My youngest boys room: We will finish the 2nd color today on the other 2 walls

o
The family

To all those following this forum blog--- the picture of a guy hanging out his window-- I DON'T KNOW HIM!!! I have no idea how his pic ended up here.
So here we are. This is my lil family
Dixie331 -- it was awesome meeting you the other day. Thanks for the gift. I am so glad you had the opportunity to check out the house before you started the framing process. Can't wait to see yours go up.

o
Paint

Dining room and study: It is a rustic red color and cairo gold
Stain on the window: Red oak

o

Pic of guy in truck = hilarious!! hahaha! Maybe you should check out your tinypic acct though- I hope it didn't get hacked!

Looks like the house is coming along well. Thanks for posting updates! (And beautiful family, too!)

o

omg, the colors look fantastic!!! I love how you did the 2 colors together - they go great! Ok, question - what color are you going to do your foyer?

o

Here is my kitchen/ breakfast room:
Can't wait to see the hickory cabinets!!
Dixie331--- I won't know a color name but in will be a neutral very light tanish color. Alot of what we are using was oops paint and then paint from our church that they didn't use. It has all come together so nicely.
Kelhuck-- Thanks!
Tile guy is coming tomorrow for our master bathroom! Can't wait!

o
Paint

Dixie331-- the foyer we made a color out of some that we had-- so no name but it is a tan color. We did chocolate on the fireplace wall and one of the stair walls. We did the red on a staircase wall as well. It is looking so good.
Here is our tile for the bathrooms. They started our master bathroom this week.

o

I think the tan in the foyer is going to look great!! I cant wait to see how your cabinet and floors look with the red! We priced out a garage door today. Clopay has a sale going on.....but omg, not what I expected...why is everything that looks so nice have to cost so much! lol

o

I know! Watch for sales on paint. That one gets expensive.
Our garage door 9x16 was 1500.00 I know it wasn't more than that, it could have been a little less.
Have you put a page on yet??? Has your framers started??
I am so ready to see my cabinets go up. They are gonna set the kitchen off. The tile floors are amazing. Our masterbath is almost done. They are working on my tub area today.

o
Update

Great room: Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Boy's room:
tile floor:

o
Flooring

Our flooring is going down tomorrow.

o
Wood floors starting today

Kitchen/ breakfast room---laundry room --Tile is complete. Cabinets go in Thursday morning.
Today my wood floors are being installed. Woohoo! I am seeing a light at the end of the very long tunnel. Oh my what a journey this has been.
My oldest son starts public school tomorrow for the 1st time ever. Very nervous for him.
I am starting a new job Friday and my husband is taking night classes starting Monday.
We are really going to be busy trying to finish this house with all the other stuff going on. Praying we get to move in --appx 4-6 wks from now.

o
Cabinets are set

Kitchen cabinets: Woohoo! I love them
Wood floor:

o

omg - your cabinets are sooo nice! my husband wants to go wtih the hickory now but we already put a deposit on a vanilla color. We are doing hickory in our laundry! I love the colors, it looks very rustic with the wood and the red walls! the flooring looks great, I like your choice of wood! Our roof trusses go up tomorrow!!! So exciting. maybe one day I will figure out how to post pix and do my own string!!!

o

I stumbled across your blog yesterday. My husband and I just purchased land and we are looking to build the Southerland as well. It was very informative to read thru your experiences, awesome house and cant wait to see more pics!!

o

Dixie331 --- can't wait to see your pics go up. It's not hard to post just takes a lil time.
mmat817-- where are you located?? I absolutely love this house plan. We did make some changes as you can see with our pics. I will be uploading more pics prob in a week. This is now a slow process. Waiting on trim to go up and bathrooms to get finished.
Any questions are welcome.

o

kramerkel ~ we are located in Arkansas. After years of searching we finally found the perfect spot! Its 5.50 acres, cleared with a pond. We just spoke with a perspective builder tonight. We want to make changes too. Think we are going with a half basement and maynot have the spare br bathroom upstairs. Gosh, so many decisions to make.. Love your house, Im really getting excited and thank you for welcoming questions cause Im sure we'll have alot!

Dixie331, Im anxious to see your progress as well!!

o

Oh! Your property is beautiful. Perfect spot to build.
I grew up in Grove, Oklahoma. Near the Arkansas border. Good luck on your build. If you take out the spare br and bth are you making it open loft?? Would be nice to see what you come up with. Some appliances will be in next week. Hope I can get some new pics for everyone.

o

What we thought of doing is changing upstairs that when you get to the top and go to the right, not having the balcony there that looks down to the foyer but extending all the way to the window and building a computer nook there. Also, we thought when reaching the top landing, extending a balcony to the left all the way to that 2nd story window over the living rm next to kitchen. The albordale plan has that. Then installing bookshelves along that exterior 3rd bdrm and placing couple of chairs, etc..like a reading nook. basicly the balcony would extend a straight shot from 2nd story front to back window. Then take that wall out infront of the upstairs bathroom so there is not so much zig zag going from the other bdrms since were not going to put in the spare bdrm bathroom. Also thought about not puting a closet in the living rm/office and making that a walk through so as to create a complete circle. I love flow. Thats a great idea about extending the garage 6 ft to allow a bigger bonus and utility room. Anyway, these are just some of the changes weve thought about. We might go thru with some, we might not do any!! LOL This will definately be a learning journey!!! Cant wait to see more of your progress!!

o

I think I get what you are doing. We were between the arbordale and the southerland. We did like the loft area it had. However the downstairs in the arbordale is larger than the southerland. That would be something to think about. We took out the closet in the study room but just made the closet one big one from the lvg room. It would probably look nice with a walk through.
Are you keeping the French doors in front?? We eliminated them bc of space and I didn't want to constantly be checking to see if my boys unlocked them. LOL
It would be nice to see how it looks without the zigzag wall at the stairs. We kept the guest room w/ bath bc we have visitors from out of town often and it would be the only open room. We love that we extended the garage. Dixie331 also extended the width for more laundry space/mud room. When do you plan on building??? We have started moving some furniture in today. Getting so excited to be completely moved. Our guest bathroom is getting tile work done this week. It is looking so good.

o

We wont have French doors in front either, just two windows like you have. True the great room isn't as big for the balcony, just wish had room for a loft area. Do you think extending floor over the foyer to make a computer nook is workable? It's hard to tell just looking at plans. I was reading other posts about the Southerland and one said the great room was way too small and another said there was a lot of undiscovered sq footage that pushed it to 5000 sq ft. Not sure what they meant unless referring to the basement? The great rm looks like it would big enough. My husband asked which way did u extend the garage. We will probably start in the spring. Know your excited about moving in!! Looking forward to more pics!

o

There is alot of room for a computer nook. My dad wanted me to extend mine out, but I liked the open entry. The only sq ft I could see would be our basement. We will have 4600sf after we finish the basement. We lengthened our garage so our truck would fit in it. It also lengthened our bonus room which we love. The great room for us is just fine. Depends on what people want. I was told that the grt rm would be small, but I like it. Our tv will be in the bonus room. I like the idea of a loft, but you would have to completely loose a room upstairs and open up a wall, but it would have to be the guest room wall facing the great room. The other walls are load bearing. Well you have plenty of time to fine tune what you want before you start. We looked at plans for 5 years before we built. And I love what we have. The space is so open.
Here's a few more pics

o

It's coming along and looks great! We're still looking and modifying the plans. First things first, we're building a pole barn. Small project but Im excited and it will get us warmed up for the BIG PROJECT!

o

Good luck to you! We are moving completely this weekend. We hope! LOL. Still have stairs to complete and vanity tops, hook up water lines to the sinks and put a surround around the fireplace. So close to being finished. Working night shift has slown things down a bit.

o
fireplace

o

Looking great! I cant wait to see pix of your countertops!!! i finally started my own post - its called "Another Southerland". Not sure how to post more than one pix at a time..duh, will figure it out eventually.

o

Here's the kitchen! The countertops are granite-- Ubatuba

o

wow, they look beautiful!!! I really like the ubatuba!!! when are you getting your stove? I dont see it. How are you cooking? lol We got our bathtub for the boys bath today at Lowes. we are going to try to get our fireplace in next so we have some heat inside while we work. So much more to do, it seems like it wil never get done.

o

Thanks! Stove is gonna be awhile. We want a Viking or Thermadore 48". We are using electric 2 burner and then an electric toaster oven, also a microwave.
Here is our fireplace:
Here is our stairs:

o
Almost done

o
Christmas!!!

We are moved in and had our final walk through with the Mortgage company. We are complete with that process. A few items to finish---upstairs bathrooms need a few minor touches and we will be 100% done. woohoo!!!
Christmas photos--- enjoy

o

Your house turned out Beautiful.Now your Family can enjoy your first Christmas
in your new home.I've always loved Don Gardner's House plans.You picked one of my favorite ones.You and your Family have a Wonderful Holiday and New Years filled with Health and Happiness.

o

Thank you so much! We love it! It is perfect for our family. The boys run all over the place like they have lived here forever.

o
Winter wonderland

o
Lattice

We finally have lattice work done around front porch base. Slowly the finishing touches are being done. We love our home. The size is perfect!

o

hope this works
http://s32.photobucket.com/upload?location=House#

o
photos

This should work
http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Kramer_Clan_05/library/?view=recent&page=1

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here