Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alibaba12_gw

Clear or clear-grey Suntuf roof on Patio??

alibaba12
9 years ago

I would love some advice on balancing light and heat with the roof on a patio. We are building a wood deck and half of it is covered (the part with rafters will have roofing, the other half will remain as is). We are not sure if we should use Suntuf Clear or Solar Grey(35% light transmission, less heat transmission). The roof beams and purlins have been engineered for Suntuf with our snow load. We have very rainy grey falls, snowy winters and really hot summers. The open walls of the deck face south and west. There will be grey metal siding on the unfinished wall in the photo. I think the clear panels would be great for 10 months of the year, but I'm worried that they will create a bit of a greenhouse hot space in summer. We plan to mount shade sails on the underside of the roof for those hot months, but I'm still worried that with the clear, it will be too hot. But I'm concerned that the grey will feel too dark on the rainy cloudy days and block too much light from entering the windows. I would love any input you have from your experience. Thanks!