Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmrbound

Final Plans

Kathy Harrington
10 years ago

We posted some plans earlier and received many great comments and suggestions. We are hopefully on our final revision and thought I would ask for your thoughts once more. Here is the basement, main floor and upper floor.

Comments (11)

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the front and back elevation as well. The exterior is stone and hardi board and batten.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Two things jumped out right away...

That's a long walk to the powder room (further to bedrooms) for any hot tub users.
    With no door, the office lights will disturb bed occupants.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Lower level -- You're forced to walk the length of the rec room to reach the stairs. I'd rather have the stairs next to the garage for immediate upstairs access.

Carrying groceries upstairs will be a constant chore. I'd investigate a dumbwaiter to do your toting for you.

Main level --

Foyer will be lovely, but it's a space hog for a room that's essentially a pass-through.

I'm not sure how I feel about the living room /dining room. Two separate seating areas so close together doesn't seem practical. A large gathering area and an "away room" (to borrow a popular term from a popular book series) would make the house more liveable. This would mean that a group of ladies could gather in the living room to chat, and the man of the house could still "escape" into a private room to watch football.

I like the banquette, but I don't like that the kitchen cabinets are very disjointed with a major walkway right by the sink. Is that a beverage bar by the banquette? If so, it's well placed to be convenient to both the kitchen and the porch.

Why the two small rooms /closets next to the pantry? I'd go with one larger pantry. Fewer doors is more simple, more versatile for the future and less expensive. You could still have a door (or a pass-through window) to the outside. I'm assuming that's an outdoor grilling area, and you want access to the pantry supplies.

I like the way the office is contained in the master suite area -- keeps it private. The master bath, though, has a lot of wasted space. Baths, with all their expensive tile, are expensive enough, and extra space often = cold. You could easily do away with the "bump out" and have a good-sized bath in that space. With the tub facing the front of the house, don't neglect some substantial window covering.

Upstairs -- Okay, nothing outstanding. I don't like the loooooonnnnnngggg bathroom. Maybe I feel that way because both of my current bathrooms look like bowling allies, and I don't like that particularly. You're never close to what you want.

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I agree about the garage and distance from the kitchen, We will have two parking spaces, one by the front door and of course the garage area. Guess I'm hoping that coming through the front door will be good enough, but a dumb waiter is a good idea, will look into that more. We had the office walled off at first, but it created a long hallway that was a little wasted space. Haven't come up with a better design in that area yet. The two small closets in the kitchen, one is a broom closet for storage, vacuum cleaners, mops in the kitchen across from the beverage center, and the other is an outdoor storage area for charcole and other grilling and hot tub supplies. Thanks again, keep the thoughts coming

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I agree about the garage and distance from the kitchen, We will have two parking spaces, one by the front door and of course the garage area. Guess I'm hoping that coming through the front door will be good enough, but a dumb waiter is a good idea, will look into that more. We had the office walled off at first, but it created a long hallway that was a little wasted space. Haven't come up with a better design in that area yet. The two small closets in the kitchen, one is a broom closet for storage, vacuum cleaners, mops in the kitchen across from the beverage center, and the other is an outdoor storage area for charcole and other grilling and hot tub supplies. Thanks again, keep the thoughts coming

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I think your kitchen looks great! It looks like it would function very well for one or multiple cooks. Nice banquette area, too :)

What is that area between the kitchen and fireplace? i like the chairs by the fire, but have you considered having more than two? While it's wonderful to have such a cozy space, it might be nice to allow a few more people to enjoy it in such a great location.

Maybe something like this? {{gwi:1502131}}From TV kitchens
    {{gwi:1502133}}From TV kitchens

And I really like this banquette, although you may be planning on wood rather than painted. {{gwi:1502135}}From Farmhouse plans

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I think adding a door to the bedroom (angled) near the closet door would give you the separation from the office. I'd have it hinged about even with the back, left corner of the sink...and swing against that common wall to the bathroom, when open. This should give you a nice entry into the bedroom area and privacy, when needed.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Get rid of the single winders at the main stair; they are no more efficient than a square flat landing, a lot more dangerous and cause havoc with the railings. All a single winder achieves is to move the bottom riser and top risers of the stairway a half tread in the same direction and that would only be necessary if more space was needed at the top and bottom landings and there are many better ways to do that.

IMO blind all blind corners should be avoided in a stairway. What is in the center of the stair that is important enough to justify four blind corners?

Are there really two posts in the passage spaces near the kitchen.

You should have a professional designer review your plans to avoid these kinds of oversights.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 17:50

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

" What is in the center of the stair that is important enough to justify four blind corners? "

The plan says 'Elevator'.

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lavender lass, the space between the kitchen and fireplace is space for a shuffleboard table and additional seating around the fireplace. I like the idea of four chairs in that area if we can get it to work. Also thought the two chairs in the living area could also be moved over when needed to that area as well. Loved the banquet picture, was what I had in mind without the table. I was picturing a small coffee table or accent table where someone could sit have a glass of wine while reading or chatting with the cook. LuAnn, your correct, the stairs surround the elevator and Renovator, I'll be sure and check with the architect to make sure the stairs are designed efficiently and safely. Thanks for all the constructive comments!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Just add a door to the master bedroom at the entrance to the bedroom itself. That way if somebody is sleeping they won't be disturbed by. Anybody going between closet and bath or the office.