Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

this looks like a great way to hide the tv

kateskouros
15 years ago

has anyone seen this IRL? i'm going to order a sample of the glass. was looking into those automatic lift hinges but they're pretty steep. as long as this works, it's a much less expensive alternative.

http://www.hiddentelevision.com/tv.htm

ps: no, i don't work for this company. just sharing as there seem to be many who would rather not "see" the TV 24/7.

Comments (14)

• mdmomof3
    15 years ago

this is exactly what i was looking for. DH wanted a tv in the great room, i wanted to keep it a little more formal. gonna look into it.

• crescent50
    15 years ago

what a great idea.... seems like the perfect solution. I wonder how expensive it is?

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

not cheap but not as expensive as an automatic hinged door (about 4K and up). a 40x22 mirror is $925.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

If you actually get what they claim, that's a reasonable price. Of course, I can think of plenty of other things to do with a spare K.

• crescent50
    15 years ago

that seems like a good deal to me-i'm going to see if there is a showroom/store where i can check it out in person.

i like the idea of being able to customize the frame to match the other trim in a room.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i ordered a 12x12 sample ($20). if i like it i'm going to get my glass maker to custom build a mirrored edge, to look just like these mirrors i bought from RH for our master bath:

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sorry! here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I think this looks great and $925 seems like a great price. I think the problem I would have is my DH likes to have the best picture possible. I would think that viewing it behind the mirror would make it less sharp. Let me know what you find out about this if you test it. Thanks.

• crescent50
    15 years ago

Kate-
    I actually have that same mirror- it was in our small DR in the old house and is now sitting in storage waiting to be used again!
    Can't wait to see what you find out from your glass maker. Let me know and I'll look forward to your review of the sample material.

BTW- I checked out some of your other posts- your house looks like it is going to be beautiful. I grew up in Monmouth County (definitely on the "other side of the tracks") but love Colts Neck. What a wonderful place to be building a home- lucky you:)

GL and post more pictures when you can.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh crescent, you're a jersey girl too? i grew up not far from here myself. i left when i finished high school and hadn't been back until we moved here three years ago. it's different now, but quite a bit of time as gone by. i was so excited to move back and then when i got here i was sort of thrown for a loop. it was a hard adjustment after being gone so long. i'm much more comfortable now. it's still a great place.

btw: please tell us how you liked your mirror. does it distort the picture at all?

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you were talking about the actual mirror ...not the mirror you can see the TV through! sorry. brain fog from halloween overload at school today!

• dallasbill
    15 years ago

I wouldn't touch one of these with a 10ft pole.

Not recommended for plasma TVs as they give off more heat and that heat needs to be dissipated. Not recommended for silver TVs because it does not "blend in" like with a black TV and so you can see the TV through it.

Also, you better not have a husband who is a videophile, because these things will reduce the light coming through, which reduces picture quality. In fact, their brochure says that only 65% of light passes through, 6% is absorbed by the glass and 35% is reflected. Now, since that adds up to more than 100%, something is up! And before someone says "but that's just from the front side," it's not. The glass can be used either side, which means it's coated the same on both sides.

Lastly, since it is 35% (or whatever) reflective, that means that its very bad for an LCD TV in a bright room in daylight. Without it you have no issues at all because LCD screens are not reflective (like a plasma). With it, you will now have that issue and it will be almost as reflective as a plasma. Thus, off-angle viewing, in particular, will suffer with reflections.

Want to hide the TV? Hide it in another room... ;-)

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks dallasbill,

good to know. i was thinking it was too good to be true. ;^(

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I don't hate the TV $900 worth!!! It is a great idea though if you can afford it.