Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sophia0606_gw

Floorplan attached and cost per sqft - Need advice

sophia0606
9 years ago

Hi,

My husband and I have a 1.8 acre lot and try to build a house in a couple of months. We are preparing by reading this forum, but have some basic questions.

1) When someone says the house cost $100 per sqft, could you please explain what it means? If a ranch house has 2000 sqft on the main floor, 400 sqft garage, 1000 sqft finished basement and it is told to be cost $100 per sqft, what would be the total cost? 2000sqft x $100 = $200,000 or (2000 sqft + 400 sqft + 1000 sqft) x $100 = $340,000?

2) We came up with the attached floor plan. We found a floor plan on the internet and my husband made it simple hoping some cost saving. Could you please review whether it has some issue or not?

3) The living sqft of the house is 2400 sqft (excluding garage) and we want to have a basement unfinished. With this simple floor plan, could you please kindly guess how much it will cost? We are living in Missouri, so it is not very expensive area. :)

4) Anybody know how much it will cost if we finish our basement? I just want to know how much we can save if we leave it unfinished..

I really appreciate all your help!!

Comments (10)

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

I'm not good at floor plans, but I have a few comments. If that is drawn to scale, bear in mind that the rooms will be somewhat smaller when you deduct the wall thicknesses. Internal walls generally run about 4-1/2" thick, so it adds up. Exterior walls are usually thicker, and can be a lot thicker, depending upon construction method. As an example, the stairwell is only 3' wide, where the inside dimension of a stairwell must be a minimum of 36". You need to draw it with wall thicknesses, including closets.

The little 10 X 6 bedroom isn't really a bedroom, as it doesn't meet code for minimum size of a 'habitable room', and it doesn't appear to have a closet.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Square foot pricing is a very rough or basic guide at the best and is not a way to get a house quoted. It really all depends on the chosen materials and level of finishes.

This post was edited by millworkman on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 6:41

• shifrbv
    9 years ago

Price per/sq ft is rough estimate.

Let's say basement:
    -excavate
    -footers
    -gravel
    -pre-plumbing
    -poly
    -walls ln ft
    -corners
    -flatwork
    -proofing

Each item adds $/sq ft. So let's say 23$/sq ft. Finishing of that space is nowhere near as expensive as finishing the kitchen with the cabinets. Garage space is ~ cheap.

Foundations and roofs are expensive.

Two stories are cheaper.

Costs depends on soooo many variables it is difficult to predict. With windows - sky is the limit. One can buy $100 WOW window or $1000 Ultrex. Carpets vs wood floors, deep houses can require expensive joists,steel because of span. Same with complex roofs.

it is complex to nail down the price. Software helps. But you have to know how to use it. Some software underestimates, other overestimate the cost.

House like you designed it most likely will cost $350 with full foundation.

• dej142
    9 years ago

Hi - I've linked to a website that helps you estimate costs. I have no idea how accurate it is, but I've seen it on threads in this forum before and thought it might be a good place for you to start. As for your plan, I think it's nice and functional, but I don't think it's as simple as you might think. What I've learned from the linked website and other posts on here is that every corner increases cost because of the framing work involved (it can also affect energy efficiency as it's harder to insulate). If I'm looking at it correctly, your home has 20 corners. I think that'll make your home more pricey. You might consider eliminating some.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building-Cost.net

• bugbite
    9 years ago

Speaking of walls, I am designing my new home now.
    I downloaded some free design software trials, but was disappointed. Then I ran across the cheapest house layout tool of them all, but it has worked beautifully. After a 30 day trial, it is $39. But I used it for 5 days now and have designed about 12 plans. I put the link below.
    You can make the walls any width. I am using 4.5 in for interior and 6.5 Exterior. You change that in 'preferences' under 'walls'.
    The easiest way to use it is to do a dimension and than add the wall to the side of the dimension. You can move a wall with the arrow keys.
    Sorry I got off the subject.
    Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy design tool

This post was edited by bugbite on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 13:41

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Couldn't you get a better idea of price by looking for a COMPLETED similar size-and-shape home, with finishes like you like (tile, flooring, cabinets, etc) that's for sale? Of course, the finished home price would include its lot, but that value would probably be offset by the differential of newly-built vs. used.

The newly-built home will have other associated costs like permitting, excavations, driveways, utility hookups, etc. It usually costs a lot more to build new than it does to buy existing.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

MC...where do you see that small bedroom?

OP....do you really want the master bed sharing a wall with another bedroom?

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

I think it's a bathroom- hard to read with old eyes.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

I know what ya mean....

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Prices vary all over Missouri. Are you building this on acreage or an infill lot? If you are doing it on acreage you have to worry about a perc test and excavation because Missouri can be horrible for clay and rock which will drive up the price.