Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kassikolo_gw

What are your ideas on our plan?

kassikolo
11 years ago

We are first time home builders and this is our second draft..I feel like i am not even sure what i want to change..ideas are greatly appreciated

Comments (4)

• angel411
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First thing that sticks out to me is that you'll have to squeeze by your table to get in and out of your master bedroom. May not bother you though, but it looks tight on the plan.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'm having trouble reading the plan. Regardless, I wouldn't want to have my MBR open into a public space. You got this funny opening behind the shower in the master closet that doesn't seem to make sense. The island is too small and not to my liking with the sink and the DW in it, so anyone sitting there gets to overlook the dirty dishes. For the amount of sq ft in the space, it seem very out of balance with the DR and kitchen sacrificed for an extremely large FR. The bump out of the MBR is going to block any light you would get from that beautiful curved wall in the DR....if it's full of windows, many of them will overlook the side of the building. You have a lot of bump outs which will add to the cost of construction. While some are good, make sure they really add to the house as, IMO, the way they are now, they make for a difficult floor plan.

Does the plan take the site into account? the views? the light? which way is north? south? Have you considered green possibilities in construction including some passive solar design?

• kassikolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie, thank you very much for taking time to write your opinion..i think after reading this i realized i am not heading in the right direction...My husband is all about creating something "different" and not a "box" house...but i think "different" on a budget is too hard to make..probably need to take a little more simple path.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

I had already drafted the remarks below for you other posting before I saw that Kirkhall indicated it was a repost. So instead of posting them there, I copied and posted here....

It is impossible to read any of the measurements on your image so, where I make comments about sizes below, I am basing them on guesstimates that are based on comparing things to the width of your front door (which I assume to be 36"), the depths of the base kitchen cabinets (which I assume to be 24") and the lengths of the secondary bathtubs (which I assume to be 60").

First off, I would not like it that everyone who comes to the front door has a view of my kitchen sink and any dirty dishes that happen to piled there. If the dashed lines on the island indicate a raised bar section between the kitchen and living room, consider wrapping the raised section around the end of the bar so that you have something to hide the sink from the front door.

I would want my fridge over nearer to the table. And I would want some flat counterspace on at least one side of the fridge to facilitate putting groceries way and getting supplies out of the fridge.

It looks like the room to the immediate left of the entry foyer is a STUDY. What is the room to the immediate right or the foyer? I'm guessing a guest bedroom (because of the bath) but I'm not sure. The room looks awfully small to hold a full-sized bed, much less a queen bed which is what I think most folks now put in their guest rooms. Just be sure the room is large enough to hold whatever furniture you want to put in it.

It also bothers me that, when the front door swings open, it partially blocks the door into the room to the right of the foyer.

There is no way your powderroom will work as drawn. With the inswing door, when you enter the powderroom, where do you plan to stand while you shut the door behind you? In the sink? You can't use an outswinging door because that would conflict with the mudroom door. Only option for that room is a pocket door.

I really really really dislike the master closet. It looks like the shower was stuck in as an afterthought. The two doors leading into the two sections of master closet appear to be only 24" wide... maybe narrower. A 24" wide closet door is okay but is certainly not ideal.

The smaller part of the master closet (on the right) appears to be slightly less than 5x5. I would consider a 5x5 closet to be about the smallest walk-in closet one could have. So if it is actually less then 5x5, you might want to reconsider.

Then, while the portion of the closet to the left of the shower is larger, the narrow angle in the larger part means you have a LESS useful hanging area than the sketch makes it look like you have. Clothing sticks out 24 inches from the wall when hung. Your designer has used the trick of showing the line where the hanging rod would be without putting hatchmarks (to represent clothes hangers) to show where the clothing will stick out. If you want to see how much useable hanging area you have, sketch hatchmarks across the bar so that they stick out 24 inches from the wall. Where hatchmarks from two walls overlap, you can only hang garments on one side and even those will be hidden by clothing on the other rod and therefore pretty much unreachable.

If it were me, I'd skip having a tub in the master bath entirely and put the shower where the tub is so that both master closets could be larger and more useful. Alternatively, if I just HAD to have a tub and actually planned to use it regularly, I'd move the shower over to where the smaller section of master closet and then have a single larger closet that is shared by both spouses.

The masterbedroom is fine as far as size goes, but I would not want it to open up right off of the dining room like that. I would at least want the bedroom door to be tucked into an alcove to provide at least a semblance of a sense of privacy.

I don't care for the round wall for the dining room. You haven't shown any windows on your plan but, with a round wall like that, I'm guessing you would like to showcase it by putting windows all the way around. However, any windows between the 9 o'clock position and the 11 o'clock position tho are just going to be looking right at a wall. Worse, the round wall will be a major PITA to roof and will result in a drip point between masterbedroom and dining area where the ground will stay wet and get no sunlight whatsoever. And, I would NOT want to be the workman assigned to squeeze into the gap between the round wall and the masterbedroom wall in order to attach whatever siding you've chosen. Can you imagine trying to squeeze in there to install hardiboards, or lay brick, or whatever? There is simply not enough room for a man's shoulders, so he would have to work with one hand while standing sideways!

If you're absolutely in love with the idea of the round wall for your dining room, then move the entire thing to the right at least 18 to 24 inches. Either line up the center of the round wall with your front door so that the table lines up with the kitchen island.

I don't care for having the bedroom in the back right hand corner open up directly off of the living room. Lacks a sense of privacy.

In order to hang clothing on opposite walls of a walk-in closet, the closet needs to be AT LEAST 6 ft wide (inner wall to inner wall)...and that just allows you a 24 inch aisle down the center which, IMHO, is downright claustrophobic. It looks like the walk-in closet for the front bedroom is less than 6 ft wide.

I know I've listed a lot of negatives and I'm not trying to diss your plan. It was hearing about what other people thought were "problems" with my plan that allowed me to make it better. Even when I disagreed with them, their raising the issues at least forced me to THINK about the potential issues. Folks who just told me my design was "beautiful" were good for my ego but did nothing to help me get to a better plan. So, I'm hoping you weren't just looking for ego strokes and that some of the above is helpful.

Best wishes on your journey toward a final plan!
    ----

Finally, in response to your post above that your husband is "all about creating something different", please know that it is not impossible to create a house with character and charm on a budget. But it is more difficult. Are you working with an architect or trying to design something on your own. If the latter, you might want to try finding a GOOD architect... and by that I mean one understands both your budgetary constraints and your desires not to have a cookie cutter home, who is willing to listen to you and work WITH you rather than just impose his vision on you, and one who actually has some creative abilities and is not just another hack.