Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Increased building costs... Thoughts?

Posted by dpusa (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 23:04

Folks, I'd like some help. Our builder has sent the first draft of the contract and has stated that costs have gone up (market conditions) based on the estimates they used to build the same house next door around 6 months ago but closed last week. It is a 4000 st ft home.

Here is the rundown.
A) Lumber Increases $6,000
B) Install sidewalk (20ft and retaining wall per City's revised position $4,000 (albeit this is would cover both homes)
C) Prepare house for ejector pump due to rock $4,000
D) Drywall Increases $2,500
E) Electrical/Plumbing Increases (copper)$3,000

Total$19,500 based on the home next door which sold for $700k.

It seemed highly excessive to us, but wanted to get the experts to weigh in on each.

Thanks
Ursula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Increased building costs... Thoughts?

I was shocked to see a huge jump in plywood and OSB prices recently. I'm in the middle of building a house, so I see the pricing often, yet this took me by surprise. OSB, a standard commodity in home building, went from $7.50 a sheet to $12.00 a sheet. I also think that in some areas, home building is getting pretty active again, so prices that have been held down for some years now are starting to move up again.

The increase you noted is less than 3%- Have you priced food lately?

o

Flgargoyle. Thanks for the perspective - It is opinions that I am seeking so that helps. I understand prices increase I guess I was surprised at the $ amount in addition to if adding an ejector pump and associated labor is really $4k etc.

Other experts, any other thoughts welcomed.

Thanks Ursula

o

Housing market is increasing slightly raising prices (supply and demand), Hurricanes in the gulf increase oil prices (think gasoline increases) all building products are affected by oil prices either thru manufacturing or distribution. I am surprised he did not tell you that roofing was going to increase as well.

o

Our lumber package cost increased by about 8% between the begining of June when we obtained the first quote to the end of August when we actually placed the order. Hurricane Issac didn't help matters but the housing market is on an upswing and trades/materials are in greater demand. We anticipated framing labor to be $3.50 sq/ft but it's more lke $4.25 sq/f - a 20% increase.

o

parsonse - thanks for the info. Can you help me understand the cost of total lumber and sq. footage of your home - i ask as I want to understand that even with a 20% increase as per your thread is $6000 a reasonable amount or not.

o

Actually, our framing lumber increased by around 11% - we were anticipating $36k and it came in around $40k instead. That's just lumber and hardware for framing & doesn't include windows, doors, roofing, trim, etc. We have may open spans that require LVL beams ($$) and have a complicated roof line and many, many corners.

Our total sq/ft under roof, including porches & garages, is just over 5,000 sq. ft. which is what our framing bid is based on. Comparing my budget to others on this forum, it's much cheaper to build here in Tennessee, though. We're on track to to have this house finished for under $80/sq.ft using brick, stone, hardi, granite, all hardwood floors, etc.

o

All of the reasons given above were also the cause of price increases when we built in '06-'07. Additionally, lumber prices can be seasonal, and there was/is (?) the issue of the number of operating plywood factories. When we were building, they were maxed out, and they wouldn't start new ones due to having been burned previously when the economy had tanked and they were stuck with overproduction. I would guess that during the Recession, plywood factories might have downsized due to almost no construction, which might be affecting the supply now.

Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here