Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibewye

Unexpected cost you overlooked before building?

ibewye
10 years ago

Hoping to compile a list of those "little things" that added up or any other surprise costs that caught you by surprise. Those things that-until you see the dollars adding up, hadn't expedite to cost so much.
Acting as my own GC and having just broke ground I've been combing through the my cost estimates that I had budgeted to be sure I'm on the right track. I've allowed myself some room for surprises in most areas to be safe and believe I've covered the basics of the house, in regards to the framing, roof, plumbers, electric, etc.... However I'm trying to be thorough and keep the "miscellaneous" figure in check. I was a able to oversee a relative just complete her house and she warned me about the things like door handles, landscaping needs, towel bars that really caught them off guard at the end. The biggest "uh-oh" was a uv filter for her water system that was required becaise of water samples failing, a cost of almost $1000.

Hopefully you can offer some insight to help myself or others to avoid any sticker shock.

Comments (16)

• texas_cajun
    10 years ago

We built in an existing subdivision and thought we could use the sewer line. They couldn't and running a new one was several thousand dollars. I don't know how much because we have a hybrid contract with our builder (we have "allowances" in the sense that we have items we are responsible for going over on vs. "construction items" that the builder is solely responsible for, but we priced everything out beforehand) but I know it was really expensive.

Also, Kolbe's distributor gave us the wrong price by about $4,000 on our Sterling double hungs. We decided it was worth it, but they had gotten the "brickmould" wrong for the exterior and what we actually needed was more expensive. Such is life.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

Rain gutters - $3K

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Our only problem we have encountered... So far. We had quoted doing block basement walls for an unfinished basement that was never/will never be finished. After visiting the building inspector he informed us that backfilling was only allowed up to 6' even though we were backfilling with rock only. Only backfilling 6' on a 9' wall would have left our house sticking out much too high for our porches. We ended up upgrading to solid poured concrete walls 10" thick. A $10,000 unexpected upgrade. We were ok with it and proceeded. So far everything else is coming in underbudget but it was an unexpected hit! We ended up not using rock solely to backfill although I would have preferred it.

Jen

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

"Gadgets". When you discover they're easier to install now then later...and finding one neat gadget leads to another neat gadget and before you know it, you have them ALL!! In-wall speaker systems, inside and out...automatic cat litter-box vents...dog-dishes plumbed into the wall...HDMI cables run in the walls for all the televisions...including in the bathroom...biometric scanning fingerprint locks...Nest thermostats on every floor...wifi enabled plugs...all those little 'organizers' in the kitchen drawers...light sensors and programmable switches and motion sensors...

Bloody gadgets. LOVE THEM, but they added up real quick!

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

Our only real unexpected cost was that our survey was substantially more than we expected. We are building on unplatted land-- the boundaries are defined by nearby roads and a river, and it took the surveyors much longer than normal to do the survey. Honestly I still don't fully understand why, but it is what it is.

Bringing electric and gas in was expensive-- first we had to pay for them to bring electricity across the street (complete with a new pole) and upgrade the transformer, and then we had to pay extra because our driveway is more than 100'. That worked out to about $3k.

I think we're going to pay more than I'd like for dirt. The way things are working out, we'll need some more dirt to get the grading right, AND I think we're going to need to bring in topsoil to put on the sand they've brought in for grading. When we started, the dirt at the build site was beautiful dark dirt, and some of it is still around, and the rest seems to have been buried or mixed with the clay that was underneath it. This is probably less likely to be a surprise if you're building in a development, because the land is probably closer to being ready to build on than our land was.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    10 years ago

Awnmyown... You hit on a few that I'm currently trying to research...

speaker systems
    and
    dog bowls plumped into the wall

Did you do these, and if so, what did you use or love/hate??

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

All low voltage - pool door alarms, speakers, keypads, cameras, wiring for all tv components

Screw less electrical switches and outlets are more than the screw in kind.

Electrical outlets recessed into baseboard trim

Cast stone window sills and column caps (exterior)

Upgraded attic stairs - the standard wood stairs are usually not tall enough for today's taller garages

Gutters and drainage...underground drainage

Landscaping -ours is 10k over what we budgeted

Cabinet lighting (under and above and inside glass cabinets)

Window treatments - especially bedrooms to get you moved in!

Special electrical - like outlets in drawers for hair dryers, floor outlets, higher voltage for big equipment like a treadmill or air compressor in the garage

Door locks with push button code so you don't need keys (for back doors etc)

Running gas lines can get pricey...

Painted garage floor or putting drywall in garages instead of painted block

Granite - varying grades....you will most likely pick out items from the higher priced patterns

Tile that is laid on an angle or in a design costs more for installation

Floor prep for wood floors...and some tile

They always use more lumber than budgeted and we got hit with an increase!

Same for stone- we need more than they budgeted

Towel bars, tissue holders, trash cans, garage organizers

Lots of time is needed to change your address!!!

Sorry it's a long lst! Our house will be ready next month!

Pam

• pps7
    10 years ago

Don't forget spinklers, landscaping, fence, mailbox, luse numbers, window treatments, plus you will need to decorate your new home.

• User
    10 years ago

Landscaping and window treatments were 2 big hits for me.

The landscaping I sort-of knew what to expect, but window treatments blew me away. And I'm not even talking expensive custom drapery here - just nice mini blinds can get expensive!

You move in, and you find 15 million "little" (ha-ha) things you "need" to buy that you just never thought of. And all of a sudden those $100 here and $200 there purchases are thousands of dollars.....

• mainecoonkitty
    10 years ago

$300 worth of light bulbs for just the inside. How many times do you have buy bulbs for every fixture in your house all at once?

• mushcreek
    10 years ago

Light bulbs can sneak up on you. Our 20 recessed LED cans add up to $600 in light bulbs!

• prateek79
    10 years ago

sorry, i dont mean to hijack the thread, but texas cajun, any chance i could see what the "hybrid" contract looks like? We are hoping to build in TX soon, and would like to structure a similar arrangement. Thanks.

• ibewye
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, all the example are proof on how that 20% over budget figure is so common. SpottytheCat, many good examples and I would of definitely overlooked light bulbs. Hopefully it will help contain some of the last minute spending.

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

Clean up---we did it ourselves to save money and it cost us lots of T-I-M-E. Most subs are not very neat.

I would echo the thought about window treatments. Not built into budget but something you must have to get moved in.

Also, in our case since we self GC'd, there were several things that no sub was or wanted to be responsible for---putting cabinet hardware on, hanging towel bars, tp holders in bathroom, etc. Luckily DH is very handy and can do all that himself but if not, we would've had to pay someone extra to do it.

• auroraborelis
    10 years ago

Cost of tile installation! Mosaic tile was not included, laying tile offset was not included....

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Echo the sentiment on landscaping. Ye gads! It is turning into a multiple phase project.

Interior decorating - we thought everything would work in the new house. For some reason I want to get rid of the 10 year old comforter and get something new! Whowouldathunkit????

Window treatments - I found it is less expensive to have them made by a local person than purchase from Pottery Barn or JCP. Ours are floor to ceiling. We did have false roman shades made for the kitchen by a drapery work room and they will hang until the day I die.