Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doofoo

Frank Betz - Summerlake - Looking for input

doofoo
9 years ago

New members here.

My wife and I live in Southern Maryland and just recently purchased a little under 6 acres we intend to build on.

After a exhaustive search we came across the Frank Betz Summerlake plans which work almost exactly (with minor modifications) to what we are looking for.

I as hoping to find some people who had built the same plan.

Interested in the quality of the plans, the build of materials list, problems with the plans once construction started. Problem points that you would change if you could go back, etc.

Also interested in cost to build if anyone has any input. We are going to general it ourselves and have access to a lot of the trades in family so at least have that going for us to lower the cost of construction.

Any information anyone is willing to share is greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• lmwright
    9 years ago

Here is a link to the plan....

I like the vaulted spaces but am not fond of the kitchen. It seems small for this type of house and doesn't have any windows. There does seem to be ample storage and I like the way you can enter the laundry room separately -- though it seems to me this would be an even more useful feature if you could enter it from the side of the house from a drying yard. There are a couple of prior threads from users building this plan. I will post them below for your information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Summerlake Plan

• lmwright
    9 years ago

Here is one thread about the Summerlake plan

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Summerlake

• lmwright
    9 years ago

Here is another...I think there may be more as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Second Summerlake thread

• doofoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very much appreciated snuggie. Good info.

We just picked up the CAD version of summerlake and are starting to look at what modifications we would like to make to the house.

Any more input anyone who has built has would be greatly appreciated. I have some details on widening certain walkways, rooms, etc so far from other owner/builders. I'm trying to reach out to some of the people here who have built, but have not gotten replies yet. I'll keep looking.

-Mike

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

I haven't built this plan, but I suggest posting the plan on the Kitchen Forum--they will have lots of good ideas for improving the layout. For starters the passage between refrigerator and end of the island will be very tight. Be sure to read their FAQ on how to post your request for help.
    Good luck!