Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snookers1999

It's crunch time, your vote is needed!

snookers1999
9 years ago

My husband says he's going to order our front door for our new house tomorrow, and I still can't make my mind up on the details, so any help would be appreciated!

(This is the number one thing I hate about building a house is making decisions, I'm so bad at it.)

Our Door will be an Therma Tru 8' door with 2 sidelights in their craftsman style. Which Combination do you like best?

Also, should I keep the glass clear or add privacy glass? (Therma Tru rainwater or chinchilla glass?)

Comments (16)

• robin0919
    9 years ago

I vote the second door with clear glass.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I like the second door, too, but am on the fence about the clear vs. privacy glass.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

I like the 2nd door. We did clear in our door and privacy on our sidelights and transom.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

2nd door. What kind of house?
    I like to look out a window and clearly see who is there. So, *if* I did privacy glass, there'd have to be some window somewhere I could see out (probably the door glass)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I like the first door with the smaller panes.

As for privacy glass or not, into what does the door open? If it opens in to a foyer (so that a person standing at the door could see nothing more than your staircase and a pretty table), I'd use the clear glass. However, if a person could see into your family room from the front door, see that your teenager is sitting alone on the sofa, get a glimpse of the big-screen TV that he could steal, then I'd say go with privacy glass.

• Christina03
    9 years ago

I vote the second combo, it's actually the same one that I decided on also! I like the clean look of the clear glass. Good luck!

• JenBL
    9 years ago

I vote for the second option with clear glass. I'd be afraid the other other glass options could "date" it in a few years. That door is a classic style so I'd stick with clear. If you really want some privacy you could add a removable film and change it as the trends change.

• aam31
    9 years ago

Second door, and if you choose privacy glass definitely chinchila!

• jkliveng
    9 years ago

2nd, with privacy glass

• Kinsley7
    9 years ago

I vote for #2 with clear glass

• divine_serenity_gw
    9 years ago

I like door 2 as well. I'm more a privacy glass person myself, for the reason that MrsP. mentioned above. good luck!

• lolauren
    9 years ago

I like the option of walking to my front door and NOT answering it, if I don't feel safe or am home alone/if I'm in my bathrobe/whatever. So, I wouldn't want any clear glass at the front door. I do agree, though, that I want someway to see who is at the door. I have always opted for privacy glass for my homes.

• snookers1999
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. I'm definitely leaning towards door #2. Still debating on clear glass vs. privacy glass. Good thing my husband extended my deadline until 9 am tomorrow to decide.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

snookers do you have an overhang or porch? Which way does it face? We have door #2 with matching side lights (so that is my vote), covered porch west facing. I like my privacy for reasons lolauren stated but I will say they do block a lot of light. :( I think if we could do it over I would opt for door 2 with clear glass and maybe sidelights with 3/4 glass but obscured?

Nice your deadline was extended so you can sleep on it. So many decisions!

• Zoe52
    9 years ago

Another vote for Door 2. But it does depend on what your other windows and front of home looks like, too.

Door 1 is more the Colonial look while Door 2 is more a Craftsman look

I wouild think privacy panels depend on what people will see at night when the lights are on. In our old home they could see all the way back to our kitchen table. So I our side panels were solid on the bottom and with glass panes on top with privacy glass.

• snookers1999
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Autumn.4 - I would love to get sidelights with 3/4 glass, unfortunately, Therma Tru only makes those type of sidelights in their 6'8" doors, not 8' doors. (We seem to be having a lot of limited choices for both exterior and interior 8' doors which is kind of frustrating!)

Some of you asked, so here is what our exterior looks like, as well as the main floor plan which shows how our front door enters our house.

(I'm still wondering if the front window with the arch on the front of our house is the right way to go if we are trying to achieve a "mostly" craftsman type look, so if anyone wants to chime in on their opinion about that, please feel free!)