Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lethargobuild

House Design

lethargo
9 years ago

We're still hmming and hawing over our decision for developing house plans. We're have a fairly clear idea of what want and what we need. We haven't been able to find a good option from a stock plan.
We have 3 options we're considering now. The first is an interior designer that checks his work with a local builder and an architect. He doesn't have a long portfolio, but is easy going and would be the least expensive option. He also said he doesn't usually use a contract for his work when asked for an example. The 2nd choice is a building designer, he is in the mid-range for cost. He has a more thorough portfolio with some options that are aligned with our tastes. The third option is an architect firm. They charge by the hour with a not-to-exceed number as a cap for cost.

Husband doesn't see the use or purpose in spending ANY money on house design, especially as our budget is extremely tight. (I on the other hand have seriously considered returning to school for an architecture degree!) Can you help offer some thoughts to consider? We're really anxious to get our project visualized and move forward!

Comments (5)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Choose #1 despite the numerous red flags and let hubby find out first hand why living with bad design is so irritating and downright painful. Or just go tour a local badly done home development and home he has the vision to see why thigs work and don't work.

Generally, different priorities as to how a budget should be approached is a very bad sign for such a stressful project as a build. You need to come to a meeting of the minds for that before you start, or you could end up divorced. Not at all kidding.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, we're living in that poorly designed house right now. It's my aunt's, designed by an architect. So, bad design can come from anywhere. I won't go into our grumbling over this house's problems, but my aunt did pay more and she didn't get the return on that investment. I think the weight of the possible quality of design lay more in the evidence of the individual's portfolio than broad judgment based on the individual's job title.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The first is an interior designer that checks his work with a local builder and an architect....and would be the least expensive option

Actually this is the most expensive option as interior designers are not architects or builders so have no insight into how to save you on construction costs by efficiency of design.

Also, if he "checks his work with a local builder and architect" you are going to be paying for that anyway....

We were talking to our architect and he told us of another client whose "friend" is an interior designer. As the building was under construction (in an extremely difficult situation due to flood plains, wetlands, zoning restrictions and wind loads, on a size restricted existing footprint that required cantilevering to get additional sq ft in the building) she decided that a structural wall had to be removed. The cost of that change alone...removing steel, adding more steel, etc. was tremendous. I couldn't believe it. Seeing walls and spaces in one's mind is precisely what architects are able to do, and do for you...you don't wait until it's under construction and then decide you don't like it and change it...not if you are on a tight budget you don't. Changes are among the most expensive things you can do when building.

A fellow we knew was also a tile guy...really good. He told us that he upcharged any client who was working with a designer because they always caused him such headaches in terms of design and changes and difficult materials to work with.

So I strongly suspect that option 1 is not your least expensive option by far.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I would start with option #2. Tour some of the homes done by the Building Designer. If they live as well as they look, this might be a good option. If not, then I would try #3, the Architect.

As for the first choice, if you're looking for cheap and fairly(?) easy-going...just ask us! :)

Seriously, Holly makes an excellent point about you and your husband agreeing on a budget, because this decision will be the first of hundreds. And people have ended their marriages over home building. This is not for the faint of heart....so you need a united front now, or I would recommend buying an existing home. Family is always more important than structures....

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

I'd go with #2.

I'm not sure an interior designer would be that useful...the interior is only part of the house. I tend to think the reason you hire highly payed experts is so you don't end up with bad drainage, a flooded basement, or a leaky roof or something. Stuff an untrained person can't evaluate well

As far as your husband's attitude, it strikes me as penny sound, pound foolish. It strikes me as odd to spend a couple hundred thousand dollars and not employ a trained expert who was the issues. There are so many things that can go wrong, and you will be living in this house for years. A well designed house can save you A LOT on energy costs while a bad one can flood and cost you everything you own.

Ask these people questions about house siting, drainage, and energy efficiency, and see if they can answer intelligently.

Your husband may be thinking purely in terms of interior decorating. (And if any of these people focus purely on aesthetics...run.)