Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help...bad rainstorm...wet drywall/insulation new build

Posted by smitjere (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 22:34

I have had a bad day today...went to go see how the construction held up to the rainstorm that passed through the area and it turned out badly. Texturing was finished on Saturday. Exterior has not been finished (roof is) and it looks as if the rain just ran down the areas that had flashing, some windows, biggest area where roofline meets another area of the house. Do I need to worry? Drywall looks OK at this point, but concerned about inside the wall (wood, insulation, and drywall). Please help...things have gone well until this point. I do have a GC.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help...bad rainstorm...wet drywall/insulation new build

Forgot the pictures...

Here is a link that might be useful: rain leaks

o

OMG! Sorry but there are sometimes that it is appropriate.

Drywall that is wet is ruined - period. The potential mold issues are too much to even think about.

What I would do is calmly call the builder. If he tries to say that everything will be fine, then I would say that I need a second opinion. If he states that he will fix it, I might still get a second opinion.

My concern would be - why did he put up drywall when a house had missing windows or other significant leaks. The subfloor can be wet so that is not really an issue. The framing can get wet. Even insulation can get a little wet but drywall can not get wet - this is something our GC was adamant about.

o

Major mistake by your contractor. He is entire responsible for any damage. You need to tell him in writing that you are concerned about future mold issues in the house. This is the kind of foolish mistake that can bankrupt a contractor if it is not corrected before the house is occupied.

o

i agree. any wet drywall needs to be replaced. it is a simple matter if they do it now.

o

I agree about the drywall(ceiling and walls) being removed, but I think any insulation that has gotten wet needs to be removed too.If the drywall is wet I would bet the insulation is wet too.

o

Installing insulation and drywall before a house is dried in is just asking for trouble, and your builder now has it.

He gamled, he lost.

He has to pay now.

Wet insulation and drywall should be removed.

Replacement should only occur AFTER the house is dried in.

o

Oh, my, that looks extensive. Just awful to see. How are things going now?

o

serious mistake in judgement
someone really screwed up
where was the job foreman--is it the builder himself or someone else
does your builder carry insurance on this job
everything has to come out that was wet because it is not like water damage in house that is already built where a window was left open and rain came in

but about those pix

it is difficult to tell how some of that water damage got where it is
did some leak from second floor into top of first?
why do you have plywood floors on ground floor--is there a basement? I am used to cement slab foundations on first floors

is it possible this house is not graded correctly and is getting rain water from ground overflowing into the first floor--that is another problem if that occurred

o

What is puzzling to me is that the water seems to be on the floors with no explanation of how it got here. The floors and even the face of the drywall are unlikely to be permanently damaged by water.

You need to determine how the water got into the house and how much got into the walls. That is not easy for someone not experienced in these matters and we can't help you so you need to get some local help ASAP. Your contractor owes you a complete analysis of the damage and a proposal for repair in writing but don't rely on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here