Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kinsley7

Need help with house design and layout- want to build this year

Kinsley7
10 years ago

I want to build a cost effective two story house on an unfinished basement. Master and three additional bedrooms upstairs..... Any ideas will be appreciated:) I like the front exterior of the house in the link below, but it is a 1.5 story Don Gardner Brentwood plan and the floor plan doesn't work for us at all. I want the garage to connect to the house in such a way that we can walk in from the second story. The floor plan does not go with the house in the link, but the floor plan below is similar to what I'm looking for...dining room is office- family room is dining. I want more of a rectangular shape ( roughly 40x32 ) I need a full bathroom where the half bath is located and omit the butler's pantry. I also want a door from the office to the bathroom and a good size closet in the office- which would allow us to use this room as a bedroom with an ensuite bathroom if we ever needed to .

-I want the garage to be roughly 30' wide x 26' deep

-full unfinished basement- rough in for full bathroom- go ahead and install tub/shower

-wood burning fireplace in family room

-Tile in kitchen and bathroom on first floor and hardwood in living areas. Carpet and tile upstairs

-Good insulation (possibly spray foam)

-Dimensional shingles

- We do not want a spa tub in any bathrooms- just normal tub shower combos in all bathrooms

-front and back porches around 8'6" deep ( Concrete)

-transom windows over bath/showers where possible

-French door to office

- Two French doors on back of house leading to back porch

- Vegetable sink on island in kitchen

-White kitchen cabinets

-two or three windows over sink in kitchen

-I would like for the dishwasher to be to the right of the kitchen sink

- I would love to do granite in the kitchen/ but am ok with laminate counter tops

- His/her walk in closets in master ( roughly 5'x6' each)

-His/her sinks- toilet enclosed behind own door

-May not do two story entry in order to have more space upstairs

-Would like smooth ceilings on first floor- textured upstairs ok if it saves $$

- Would like to squeeze a small mud room off of the garage ( space for kids to store shoes and hang up backpacks and coats)

-Ceiling fans on front and pack porches

-Open floor plan with lots of windows

- Wide baseboards on first floor

-Safe room in basement

- Vinyl siding with brick skirt is ok- I want to upgrade siding if we can afford to

- At least 8' head clearance in basement

-Drain in basement floor

-Radon deflector pipes if we need them

-Zone heating/cooling ( possibly hybrid system)

http://www.dongardner.com/images/plans/renderings/998bw.gif

Comments (8)

• jennybc
    10 years ago

A master with three additional bedrooms upstairs. So that wouldn't include the dining being converted or would? I think you will have a hard time getting the wish list of master bath ideas and all the rooms plus a bath for other rooms in a 40x32 space upstairs. If one if the three rooms is the dining downstairs then it might work. Or maybe in my head I'm allotting too much room to closets. Not sure.

If you omit the butlers pantry you get rid of a LOT of food storage space.

Fill us in on your family lifestyle. How many are in the crew? Is it small kids who would need a playroom? Do you want flex space above the garage? Do you cook most meals. This kitchen wouldn't be big enough for me.

If you want cost effective omit the bump outs on the footer. And keep plumbing centralized in one 1/4 or so, of the house.

If you have a basement then you would loose the entry closet for guests.

With your list it might be adventageous to enlist in the help of a designer/architect.

Jen

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

Seems to be a pretty reasonable list to me.

"Cost efficient" does not mean much to me. Certainly it is possible to build less expensively than the examples shown but one persons idea of cost efficient can be different from another's. Ceiling texture is not particularly expensive. Large garages and porches, and gables really add a lot of cost.

• User
    10 years ago

Buy a lot and engage the services of an architect. Houses should be designed to fit the lot and the people who inhabit it. It's not any more expensive than buying something not quite right off the net and then paying for changes and to have it engineered for local code.

• dgruzew
    10 years ago

Kinsley7

I am doing exactly what you say you want to - similar size house - similar requirements

Do you have a location / lot in mind ? whats your budget ? do you know how you want to finance ? Where in the country are you at ?

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

Are you saying that you want the entrance from the garage to attach to the second story of the house? Or do you want a bonus room over the garage that connects to the upstairs?

FWIW, I think you would be better off thinking about how you want to live in the house, instead of compiling a laundry list of requirements.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

" I want the garage to connect to the house in such a way that we can walk in from the second story. "

Yeah... I wondered about that too!
    Maybe the husband wants to leave the bedroom and go straight to the car for his morning commute. :-)

• Kinsley7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, I thought I would get an email notification if someone posted. We have already purchased land to build on ( 80+ acres) and we have 3 young children. We don't need a finished basement because there was already a residence on the property when we purchased our acreage, we will use it for guests, rec room, ect. I have already decided that we need to make the footprint of the house a little larger...attached are some of the changes I've made. I'm thinking about bumping the kitchen out about 8 feet deeper and vaulting that area.

• Kinsley7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In response to the earlier post, we are building in Kentucky and would like to spend less than 250k ( not including the price of our land ). Each builder has a certain architect they prefer to work with and their pricing is very reasonable for drawing custom plans. We have not decided which builder we will be working with yet.