Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tr1140

Screen on Casement Window?

tr1140
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of ordering windows. Our builder wants us to use casement windows, but one thing seems odd to me. The screen for casement windows is inside the house, so you are always looking at it when you are in the room. Obviously, I've never had this type of window before, so I'm wondering - will it bother me to have a screen on the inside of the house? Has anyone else had this same issue? Anyone comments are appreciated!!

Comments (34)

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

Yep, the screen goes on the inside. So the dirt and debris collects on the inside, but they're easier to pull out a clean.

You're putting casements everywhere? That's unusual.

• david_cary
    14 years ago

I am in an office with 2 casement windows that I have lived in for 45 days or so. We just found the screens in the attic about 2 weeks ago and installed them. I certainly don't mind them but I am at the computer, not taking in the scenery.

I guess a lot depends on your climate. We have about 1/3 of our screens installed. None in the kitchen or great room or the front of the house.

Anyway, I've never had casement before and I kind of like the screen inside so far. It definitely looks nicer on the outside.

Our builder did all casements for someone for security reasons - they are impossible to open from the outside.

• susan3733
    14 years ago

We used Andersen casements, and since we moved in about 3 weeks ago, we haven't yet installed the screens because we're enjoying the simplicity and beauty of the clear, shiny new windows! We also live in a climate where there aren't many houseflies or mosquitoes so we haven't been bothered. The same thing happened in our last house - we didn't use the screens for our casements very much.

However, I don't mind the look of the screens so much; although of course, I prefer the look without them. As other posters have said, the best part is that they're easy to keep clean since you can snap them in and out very quickly. I always take off those warning labels so that my eye is not drawn to it.

If you go with Andersen (and probably other brands offer this, too), they offer two grades of screens, the standard kind, which are fine but you notice them, and a new type that is truly much more difficult to see. I can't recall the name of the new type, and we did not buy this type knowing that we install so few screens, but we saw them in the showroom and were very impressed with how they are almost invisible.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

We have casement windows also. We ordered many of ours so they would not open/fixed. For instance, the sunroom alone has 8 plus a large middle window. Only 4 of the casements open. In the MBR neither open - we have fire exit through french doors. In the main level guest, only one opens - code for fire exit since no other exterior exit.

I don't mind them being on the inside and if you don't like them or don't open your windows often you can always store them. They are easy to remove to vacuum both sides and the pets have not torn them. We've been in three years this month.

I thought they would bother me, but they don't. They are virtually invisible and don't distract from the view.

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    14 years ago

In our former home, we had a large casement window over the kitchen sink. I really did not like the inside screen. It was difficult to keep clean with grease, etc in the air. And, although it may have been more in my mind than in reality, it partially blocked a beautiful view.
    In planning the new home, I discovered that casements are available that open in rather than out. I think they may be more costly, but not sure. Haven't progressed that far yet.

• jimandanne_mi
    14 years ago

If I'm standing right in front of the window with the screen on it, I move to the ones without screens to look outside. If I'm sitting at the table or in a chair a few feet away from them, they don't bother me enough to take them off. We also ordered some of ours fixed with no screens.

Anne

• norcalpeetnik
    14 years ago

We have Anderson casements in our home which we remodeled 2 years ago. The screens are on the inside of the house, and frankly I never notice them. There is so much light coming in from the windows during the day that you can hardly tell that there is a screen there. When we first moved in, I thought I would perhaps take the screens down in the winter, but I have found I really don't need to.

Our neighbors just finished a remodel with beautiful paned windows. Once they just put the screens on (exterior) you couldn't see the panes anymore - they whole window looks like one gray rectangle. It could be because their windows are a putty color (as opposed to white, which would have more of a contrast with the screens).

We chose casements over double-hungs because they let so much more air circulate. I had double-hung windows before and we had terrible air circulation when they were open. The only thing I don't enjoy with the casements are the crank handles, but they aren't terribly obtrusive so I can live with it.

• sue36
    14 years ago

We have few casements, but I admit the screen at the kitchen windows bothered me, so I got the new type of Anderson screen that is less visible.

Don't get all casements just because your builder is telling you to, get the style window that suits your house. Watch out for casements in areas where people walk. We have a friend who just removed several because a few people almost put an eye out walking around the corner and smacking their face on the open window.

• tr1140
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of the comments! I would never have thought about the window being open and walking into it while you are outside!! We are using Pella windows - apparently there is an option of a pull-down screen that rolls up inside of a box mounted towards the top of the window. We may take a look at that option (of course it adds to the cost of the window). We live in Arkansas where the mosquitoes grow big, so screens are a must if the windows are open.

• macv
    14 years ago

Check out the comments on the window forum before buying Pella windows. Many people seem to have had bad experiences with them.

Screens on the outside obscure a clear view of muntins from outside. Screens inside obscure a clear vies of muntins from inside. You have to decide which is more important to you.

• david_cary
    14 years ago

ok mthouse - where do you live?

There seem to be so many limitations with going all casement but maybe I just don't realize all the options. Do they make casements that big? Do they make casements with mullions?

My wife says that casements remind her of her childhood home built in the 1970s and that is not a good thing.

• tr1140
    Original Author
    14 years ago

David_Cary:

not sure where mthouse lives, but we are in Arkansas. We are using all casements, except in the garage (where those will be double-hung). Some of our windows are the same size as doors and they will have mullions. Does that help you? I think using all casements is a common practice in this area.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

My house was originally drawn with all casements - which leaves you with bigger wood areas between each window. We opted to have a larger expanse of window with casement on each side. Not only did this save us money (fixed costs less than operable), but it also saved our view. Our casements are all on the back and sides of home, so this did not change the front exterior.

For example, the sunroom. Instead of 4 casements we did 2 operable on either end and the large fixed on this wall. Each side wall has 3 same size casements, but only 1 operable on each of those walls.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

Casements seal better than double or single hung, which is important for energy conservation reasons. Our new home has a combination of casement, awning (casement on its side), and fixed windows. We have prairie grids between the glass, except on the awnings.

• macv
    14 years ago

Casement windows are made in sizes up to about 3 ft x 6 ft and they have all the glass and divided light options that any other window type would have. If you're going to design your own windows you need to do some homework.

If you can live with the stuff that collects between the screen and the glass in a rural environment and you don't mind the appearance of a screen in your living spaces or that they obscure your expensive divided lights, you spent enough that the cranks are reliable, and they don't open onto a porch or deck, then the reason to choose them is that they reinforce the style of the house. They seem to work well for French Inspired, Tudor Inspired, Prairie Style, Craftsman and Modern designs but not under arch topped transoms and traditional, classically inspired or colonial homes.

I have only used the French Casements which are paired but don't have a post in the middle. Over a kitchen sink a single casement is too poorly proportioned or a pair puts a post (or double jambs) over the sink so I use an awning window.

Another issue to consider is that casement windows are more expensive than double-hungs for the same glass area.

• modernhouse
    14 years ago

I have Pella casement windows (Proline) and have had no problems with them. I do live in sunny California though. I also have the Pella "Vivid" screens, which are very fine and at times I can hardly tell they are their. I love having the screens to keep the flies out, and open my windows all the time. Note that screens do seem to cut down on the airflow somewhat.

• coffeehaus
    14 years ago

We have Loewen casement or awning type windows throughout, for security reasons, but more importantly, energy savings. In our mid-Atlantic climate, the closure of these windows is much better in terms of excluding heat and cold. Yes, we do have screens inside, but that doesn't bother us. They snap out easily for cleaning the windows and I will simply remove and store them during the winter to enhance the views. I love having the windows open for air circulation when it's not too hot or too cold.
    A friend of ours had similar windows installed in his new house, and was told by his security company that he did not need window sensors as they are so secure that a burglar would have to break the glass to gain entry.

• User
    14 years ago

We live in southeast Louisiana and put Marvin Integrity casements throughout the house. They are clad fiberglass outside and yellow pine inside. Half were stained and half were painted.

On the front we put 2 large triples with a center fixed and the outer windows opening. The view is uncluttered. We have the screens inside and enjoy opening the windows on those rare cool days. They have held up to Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Gustav. They are also very secure and energy efficient.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

Meka, those are really great windows and an excellent value. We wanted them for our passive solar house. We were all set to order, but unfortunately found they weren't offered with the kind of glass we needed for the south facing windows, so we had to look elsewhere.

• king_3368_live_com
    13 years ago

how can i make my screen for casement windows

• mommyshanti
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We have all casement windows and while they are large and beautiful I hate the screens. Live in south and have horse flies, mosquitos, ect. And Need Screens. Also pollen is very bad here so think of all that inside your home. Also half the cranks don't work. I just want windows I can open. Ugg.

• mommyshanti
    8 years ago

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

mommyshanti, is that your house? Looks very cozy and tranquil.

When it comes time to replace your windows, it is possible to get push-out casements with retractable screens. Pricey though.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Casements are very tight-sealing, and I like to be able to pop the screens from inside to wash them.

I failed to realize that open casements will let in rain unless you have deep overhangs. The lower sash of a double hung can go up an inch or two in a light rain, or the upper sash can be lowered a bit. I cannot open my casements or my French doors for air if it's raining.

• bpath
    8 years ago

My parents put Pella casements in their new house in 1971 with roll-up screens. They also had them on the house they'd built in 1957. Never, ever, any problem with the roll-up screens. Or with walking into a window on the outside. A crank on a bathroom window is starting to have problems; that user needs to install a grab bar on the wall instead. How often do you walk right along the side of the house? They also have blinds-between-the-panes on the bathroom windows.

• User
    8 years ago

In addition to a conventional casement screen, Marvin offers an interior retracting screen for out swing casements and an exterior screen for in swing casements.

you only need to walk into an open casement once.

• Flower Photography
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Casement window screens are awful if you live in a windy place. The wind just blows them in. While they are sailing through your kitchen, they scratch your countertops, wood floors and they get bent so you can't use them again. Bears and people just push them in. They are not safe at all. Milgard does not seem to have a way to make them secure. I'm using tension rods to help hold one in that hasn't got bent yet,

• lenorae11
    2 years ago

@Flower Photography I hope they're not all like that. We're looking at getting Marvin casement windows, and I sure don't want screens flying though the new kitchen! The retractable screens that some people mentioned aren't currently available, probably because of problems judging from some other posts that I saw.

• mommyshanti
    2 years ago

If they dont have retractable screens then you need casements that open IN and then screen will be on putside. otherwise screen on inside or no screen at all. i took mine down so cant open at night( bugs) and gotta watch for bees/wasps in the day lol

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

This post is 11 years old.

• mommyshanti
    2 years ago

😂😂😂

• s_travers
    last year

and yet the problem and decisions persist

• bpath
    last year

The house built in 1971 still has the original casements with rollup screens, 6 years after I last posted about it. Still going strong.