Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How does the "after bids" meeting go?

Posted by sweet.reverie (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 22:19

Our builder has all the bids in and I am SO nervous! We, like others, are trying to keep the build "modest" (not sure what counts as modest!) but we will be helping with some of the work as is allowed by our lender and such.

How did this meeting go for you? If you were over-budget, what next steps did you take?

Thanks in advance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How does the "after bids" meeting go?

We were over budget like many, but we spoke to the builder on our must haves and sorted out our needs (ie.granite in the laundry room is out as was soapstone) we were able to find some savings in the materials our contractor buys from his suppliers ($10 porcelain sinks/$5sqft hardwood floors...) we do however have to go through the sales "yard" to pick them out. We considered doing some unfinished areas...less custom areas(empty closets). It really depends on how much over you are and what your willing to forgo: sqftage, finishes, ceiling heights, appliances,...

o
RE: How does the "after bids" meeting go?

We came in 8% over and decided to bid it out to other GC's just to double check pricing. We also got rid of a playroom upstairs and tweeked a few things. Like originally i was going to do a wide plank floor but am going with a narrow width. I didn't care what it was as long as it was site finished wood.

In the end our builder was able to come down to within 1% of the budget. Also we are building fixed price so along the way I won't have cost surprises.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here