Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Stone/Brick Front Elevation?

kats_meow
12 years ago

I'm interested in finding some photos of front elevations showing mostly stone with some brick accents, preferably with a gabled roof and 1 story (although could look at some 2 stories).

We are building a 2600 SF house, 1 story, gabled room. We want the front to be mostly white Austin stone. Initially we were going to be stone on front and sides (back is almost all a covered porch and we'll use Hardi Plank, but the cost was enough that we will make sides mostly brick.

I think it would be jarring to have the front entirely stone (which I would really prefer) and the sides entirely brick so I want something that is mostly stone on the front with some brick assets and then the sides to be mostly brick with some stone to transition.

Designed came up with an elevation I didn't like (basically stone on the gables and middle portion of the front and entirely brick on the outside 1/4 of each of the ends of the front so about 1/2 brick on the front which really isn't what I have in mind.

I'm trying to find some photos of ideas.

Comments (3)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

We have a stone garage that's suppose to look like a barn. The stone wall (garage) is left wall of front veranda. Stone travels across front of veranda, steps and around house at a certain height (can see in pictures below). Also a few feet up on front veranda (to bottom of fixed french doors).

We were originally going to have stone on lower level sides/back, but it was the first thing to go when we wanted to stay on budget. House is tumbled brick (texture) with a mortar wash. We used stone over all doors and windows. We really like the way it turned out.

In link, scroll down to second house featured - Alabama Armand:

Here is a link that might be useful: Our House - A Jack Arnold Home on a Lake

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

I love the stone/siding combo of this house - which won a recent award . . . It would also tie in nicely to the hardiplank on the back. It might even allow you to use stone on the main part and siding on the "wings", which would be the most traditional way to do it. . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Norman Askins stone and siding house

• chisue
    12 years ago

We alternated cream colored genuine stucco and oversized cream brick all around the house. For the most part, projections are brick, and recessed portions are stucco.

I'm not sure what you're describing when you say gables would be stone. Any heavy-looking material above something less substantial looks at odds because it appears unsupported. Avoid the 'movie set' look where only the front elevation is impressive -- as though one only sees a house straight-on!