redheadeddaughter
10 years ago

changed

This post was edited by redheadeddaughter on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 2:50

Comments (29)

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I thought you where wanting to cut area out?

It looks like you have just flipped the kitchen/hearth room and maybe even added some area. Personally I like the original better but I am sure you have given it much thought and have good reasons for the change. -Either way it will be very nice.

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha. Yes. That was the plan. We did cut significantly (insert wink here) on the right side there if you can see the yellow tape? Also the front hall entry is narrower all along the front. We lopped the smaller pantry off the left side too. And I believe the staircase is a bit more "smooshed."

But you are right... we moved the pantry and made it bigger and flipped the rooms. The pantry is really the only area that got any bigger though?

We are still waiting on the final sf for this version actually, but you are not in the minority on liking the first plan better! I'm such a light lover (and not a morning person) that I really want more than one northern window in my kitchen where I spend so much time... and I want to see my kids playing in the back yard and pool area too. Excuses, excuses. :)

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

Oh, now that I look closer I see you took a significant chunk off the classroom. That now seems rather small for 6 or more people.

For me the living room is too small to also hold the dining table and the hearth room could be cut.

The dining room could have been where the morning room was and those windows would have been close enough to the kitchen to have a very good view out.

Then the laundry room, mud room and garage could have all moved toward the house.

I understand the aesthetic appeal of a long front porch but unless someone has money to burn I would think that that money should go into useful things first. I see a lot of long porches but I never see people use them much. In my opinion a nice large screened porch is very useful.

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know. My poor classroom. It looks so truncated. But I cannot complain as it will still be the most wonderful classroom we have ever had! Especially with all the book storage.

Hmmm. I'll have to remeasure the dining room/parlor area again. I asked for a place I could open up a table and extend it or add to it to seat a big crowd, without having people all over the house... so that is the main purpose of that room. And as a little parlor for the moms to nurse their little ones away from the football game or chat with tea or crochet with their teenagers. So it doesn't need to be the main living area... we've kind of split that up between the hearth room and the parlor. So much "living" goes on around that dining room table anyway! Puzzles and projects and drawing and stuff like that. I think it's also close enough to the school room we could use it for a bigger class in a pinch.

Yes... I think we will try and cut the hearth room. Good to hear a second opinion on this. I want cozy in there and don't mind it crowded as long as it's not near my cooking range. ;)

The front porch. We surely don't have money to burn (at least for this area)... but, Oh don't underestimate the front porch! In a suburban neighborhood it is out of place and silly (unless you have very friendly neighbors or live in the south). Even I wouldn't use it much (I'd use a back porch much more). But out in the country when you have people over (especially elderly ones or nursing mamas, both frequent and lovely visitors) its basically an extension of the living space and allows everyone to stay together somewhat. We had one a few years back and used it so much! What a great collection of memories I have from those times. Sweet tea and watermelon...Those are things best served outside, but in the shade. Also, if your house is messy... you can entertain at the front door for a bit without anyone seeing it. ;) It's one of the things at the top of my "want" list. But along with my sunroom and guest room and LaCanache range... they are all on the chopping block if needed... I'll still be exceptionally happy to see anything close to this house built!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Change the 1/2 bath door to open outward. That will keep the toilet out of view.

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

debrak...great idea, and there is still plenty of hallways space to do that. Plus I think it will make moving around in the bath a little easier! I'm off the mark the plans.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Oh, this is easier to read! I see things now that were invisible to me before!

- Corners in kitchens are awkward -- difficult to reach into, expensive to outfit with lazy susans or whatever. And your newly-located kitchen has two of them. Bummer. I think I'd go with an L-shaped cabinet set-up. You'll end up with just as much usable space, and it'll cost less.

- I'd want a pass-through between the pantry and the kitchen.

- I really liked the built-in banquette seating in the old plan.

- DItto for corners in the laundry room.

- Is that box bay in the Hearth room a window seat? If not, it should be!

- Like the bookshelves flanking the entry. Brings personality and character into the house.

- I see that the classroom doesn't have much wall space. This means you'll have your desks, tables, etc. pulled to the middle. I'm wondering about doing away with that South porch door (maybe relocate it more forward and access it through that bookcase alcove) and making that classroom spot into a window seat -- very pleasant spot to sit and read. And I'd consider downsizing the double doors from the living room -- I don't see that they add much, but the wall space would be valuable.

- At 15x15, I think the classroom is a very comfortable size -- especially considering that you have the adjacent book room and the steps-away study. With kids taking part in different activities, this would allow you plenty of flexibility: I can imagine you working with the littlest one on reading in the official classroom, while an older child completes a computer-project in the book room and another older child works on a hands-on model in the study.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

How do you think traffic will flow through the house and is it comfortable?

Set up "use cases" ... take a typical resident through some common tasks. Draw each one in a different color ... what do the paths look like.

1 - Bringing in groceries
    2 - Child comes in from playing with an urgent need to pee
    3 - Guest arriving late at night, when kids are sleeping
    4 - Teens have guests, and so do you, on a rainy day

etc.

If two activities are concurrent, make sure their paths don't overlap too much.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

The book vault is huge! I only mention this because I know you're trying to cut square footage. It's large enough it needs an island :)

Do you plan to have computer areas in there? I would make that room much smaller (more like the pantry). Then, I would take a few feet off the length of the pantry and add a few feet to the laundry room.

I mentioned this on the kitchen forum, but I miss the banquette! One advantage to having the door to the back porch is you could BBQ out there. Also, the hearth room needs to be big enough for your main living room. Unless you're planning to put that in the dining room area. Sounded like that was more of a parlor.

Remember...think about how you live, not just how you want to live! I have to remind myself of that all the time (LOL) {{gwi:1493855}}From Kitchen plans

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello again LL! Thanks for all your comments. It's so helpful to have more eyes on the plan at this stage.

Some of the things your seeing are a result of trying to line up the 2nd story with the first. The direction I'm giving our designer will be to cut if it will save us money and simplify the build. ;)

The book vault: it is much smaller than before, I promise!.... did you see the cuts in the new plan? 9 x 10 I think? I think that's the size of my WIC right now! Yes, he still has a tiny desk (1 x 2 or something) or filing cabinet in there, but really that won't fit well. The computer will be at the window with the printer and tech stuff there as well. I actually took 2 runs of Ikea Hemnes cabinets and a few others from that line, to fill up the walls and I'm still looking for storage elsewhere... was your walk through office smaller? I think its similar in size (I used it when I drew it up) but I wanted to use the ends for more books too, since one long run will have the tech stuff and I'll lose storage there, and my hubby wants to keep that side exit for now. I'm finding I can't arbitrarily cut the width of the book vault without losing square footage both in the school room and in the kids rooms upstairs, which are already as small as I'd like them to be at 12 x 12.

The BBQ. Huh. Now I'll have to figure that out. That's important.

I think the main living area will be fine since its kind of split up between the 2 (parlor and hearth room). We usually have 2 groups of people in different locations, so that works really well for us. I like cozy parlors too! technically there is room for a sofa and 2 chairs on each side... but I think we will put 4 comfy chairs in there so we can easily open of the dining room table and move the chairs to the perimeter. What do you think of the "chin high" bookcases in the entry?

We are in the process of making some other small changes as well (to the porches and windows, etc.)

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mrs. Pete: Thanks for visiting again! Yes, the nook will be a windows seat... still working on the details.

-It's nice to hear your viewpoint on the size of the schoolroom. I hear you on the exterior door. Still working out the details in that room (windows and doors) now that I have the smaller room size.

As for the kitchen (joy and bane of my existence right now), I think I will draft up some ideas to get rid of one corner and get direct pantry access.

Both you and LL like the L shaped kitchens. You both have more experience than I in planning kitchens so I am going to draw out a bunch more ideas tonight taking your comments into consideration. But I can't seem to understand how you get as many cabinets and keep the appliances far enough apart to run zones with multiple cooks and helpers. I counted on my graph paper and get at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the cabinets I get with a bigger island and a u shaped kitchen. Am I missing something? I've only had one L shaped kitchen and didn't like it one bit. Too many shoulders rubbing and getting in the way. But it was smallish, so maybe if I tape it off in the driveway it will feel different.

If I stay with the deep U shape, do you have any suggestions for appliances or cabinet placement?

-

Here is a link that might be useful: link to elevation idea 2

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

I was not suggesting you do away with the front porch but the original did have some space for seating and it could have been just bumped out one more foot.

On the other hand, the sunroom is not large enough for more than two and a large screened porch can serve as an extension of living and dinning area for much of the year I would think in Northern California.

Also I think you really could combine the mudroom and laundry and use the classroom as the craft room. Personally I would rather see the 1/2 bath back there by the laundry.

Anyway I like the house.

This post was edited by ChrisStewart on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 19:52

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ChrisStewart! I do love a good screened porch... and it would be wonderful to have in this area you are right. The sunroom might actually be turned into a screened porch, but it is still smaller than you are talking about. But big enough for 2 is still a great cozy spot.

You know Lavender Lass suggested combining the mud and laundry as well in a clutter room of sorts. It's a great idea, especially in the country with mud and pets and boots, etc., but my husband is very firm about wanting me to have doors on the laundry area. Just wait until we move to our property and he sees me hanging laundry out to dry outside. ;) I've been waiting forever to do that.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like the four comfy chairs idea! Did you see Sarah Richardson's lake house? That's such a great space!
    {{gwi:1500920}}From TV ktichens

The reason I like L-shaped kitchens is just because there seems to be less walking around the island or table. It depends on how you like to cook, how much help you'll have and how often you have to walk from one area to another.

If you have a big island, you will probably do most of your prep there, depending on how it's set up. You have your island prep sink in a good location, so it might be a great layout. Decide if you can grab a glass of milk or make cereal, without walking around too much or have kids getting into your main work area. I do like the clean up area is separate...so the kids can help with the dishes! :)

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LL: I'm printing out that 4 chair lake house photo. I love it. Where do you manage to keep all these fabulous clippings!

And yes... the cleanup zone is very separated so we can clean and cook... with so many meals and keeping to a school schedule, it seems we are always cleaning up from a previous snack or tea time right around the same times a a main meal prep. And I have become a very good delegator in the kitchen! I think once my toddler is grown a bit I can manage more myself, but I really like teaching them all about food and how to prepare it and serve it.

Mrs. Pete: That is the kind of analysis I needed. :)Now I am off on a tangent researching detached- back D kitchens. Seriously my husband thinks I'm going crazy. I "chalk sketched" the entire kitchen with various layouts yesterday on the driveway. Those corners are an issue. If I open up the pantry to the left of the range though I think I can free up at least one corner... we'll see. The big island is a non-negotiable with my husband. I'm still trying to pull him back from 10 x 10 ft (which won't even fit) to 9 x 7. But as house building marital issues go, I don't think that's a very bad situation. He is being awfully flexible about most everything.

I love love drawers (even inset) and I'm also on the shorter side and need a ladder to reach even the second shelf. So I'm trying to grab counter space and put those drawers under them.

• sarac
    10 years ago

I really, really like this plan, and have been inspired by all the book nooks as well as the hearth room for our own "California farmhouse." My only suggestion -- as the mom of three small kids -- would be to consider how wet or muddy kids will travel to the bathroom if they're coming in from the pool or backyard.

I would probably make the door going into the schoolroom a single door and tuck a closet next to the fireplace (opening to the classroom) for the vacuum, a broom and other basic cleaning supplies for that space which will likely see a lot of messes over the years.

Would love to see the second floor!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I'd like to see the second floor, too!

That's Sarah Richardson's lake house. I really like her farmhouse remodel, too. If you google her name and lake house or farmhouse, you'll get some lovely photos :)

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Warning: I coined the term "detached D kitchen" myself. I say that because I doubt you'll find it via google or other search engines. If you discover that this layout has a real name, I'd like to know it! You do know what I mean, though, don't you? It's a rather common set-up: A small U-shaped kitchen . . . and on the open side of the U is a short cabinet run and the refrigerator.

That is really a nice, compact, functional kitchen layout; however, it is at its best when you're talking about a one-cook kitchen.

LL, I love Sarah Richardson's work. All of it.

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

changed

This post was edited by redheadeddaughter on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 3:18

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

You might have to start a separate thread for the second floor! Here's what jumps out at me, in no particular order:

Is that a fireplace in the bathroom? And a comfy chair? I'd love to hear your vision for that space!

There's nothing wrong with your big closet. If I were your DH, though, I don't know that I'd want to go through the bathroom to get to my clothes, and the closets that far apart make putting clothes away more of a hassle, unless you're really good at sorting clothes before carrying them upstairs. Is the little nook in DH's closet for shelves?

You might find that the windows in the kids' closets eat up a lot of valuable wall space. Your galley-style closet is a lot more efficient than the L-shapes in the other bedrooms - corners are even less efficient in closets than in kitchens. Perhaps hanging rods on one side, shelves on the other for folded clothes (pants, sweaters, etc).

What's the Eagle's Nest? Is that DH's office?

The little nook off your bedroom looks really cozy - but is probably also really expensive to build (compared to a straight wall).

Same with the closet/bath in the lower right - you might be better off moving the whole wall where the two bedrooms are, and fitting the closet and bath between them. I don't think that bath needs a double sink.

While I love the idea of a toy closet, in reality, the kids will mostly keep their toys in their own rooms, won't they? Group activity toys - Legos, board games, puzzles, etc - will more likely be played with in common areas downstairs. Obviously you know how your family operates, but this might not work out quite as intended, and end up under-utilized space. Put the shower there, move the toilet next to the vanity, and add a wall closet on the north wall of the bedroom in the lower right.

That cuts off your windows by the tub (if I'm reading the drawing correctly), but I would rather have a tub/shower surround than windows - especially when you have a window already over the toilet.

This is going to be such a fantastic home when you are done!

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

annkh: Oh thank you for evaluating this with me at such a critical time. We are finalizing plans in the next 7-12 days ( a couple of different deadlines ) so it is so helpful. I'm pulling all-nighters for a house! Please say I'm not the only one. :/

Yes, the reason I hadn't posted it as it's own thread is because we had already kind of spotted some of those. But not all.

And, oh that little reading nook in the master was sliced off today for the reasons you mentioned. It was like painful surgery.

The eagle's nest is indeed my husband small office. It looks so small compared to our school space downstairs, but he says he only needs it for his laptop and quiet for conference calls. And home protection in a safe. He wanted access to it from the master bed. And he can see literally everything from that window. Best view in the house. We tried to copy that in a flight of fancy with my oldest son's closet window. He doesn't need alot of clothes storage, but we were thinking low shelves for his vintage truck collection that he doesn't want little toddlers playing with, would be nice to have in that closet with a door. That way they are the "sentinels" of the home. Okay. Sounds pretty goofy now that I've written it up that way! The other front bedroom has a window for symmetry above the front door... I asked for it. That child will have to suffer with less hanging space! Ha. I was pretty happy with the boys section and asked the designer to move as many rooms to the corner as he could, the rest is still in flux. And although I've just tried to justify the current plan, you know I will go and sketch out what you have described. Especially if it saves square footage.

You are right about the toys, it is only named that as a catch all for "mama wants more storage where ever there is dead space and I can carve it out." :)

And oh my side of the master bath... I have so many great ideas (country cozy but still related to the other bath on the other side so it doesn't seem too fractured) and I don't think I"m explaining them very well to the designer... but hashing through that today. It also involves embarrassing things like dealing with super frizzy hair and wanting to be far away from shower steam and wanting my husband to keep me company and tell me stories from work while I'm in the bath. I'm corny like that ;) I'll likely post on the bathroom forum tonight and see how crazy they think I am over there. And that fireplace. I know it's a ridiculous expense. I'm sure it will never get added. But ever since I saw the one posted by morselofjoy, I've wanted it. I'm always cold in the bathroom and am sick of space heaters!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Love the upstairs! Dream big and then let budget tell you what you can keep...but don't give up on the big tub and hopefully get a fireplace. Even a little electric one could be charming.

This bathroom is a little fancier than I would have, but I like the chair (maybe wicker, instead?) and one light/one set of drapes, etc. LOL {{gwi:1500921}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Love it! This will be a fabulous home! So many wonderful special touches.

I do think that any "flow" questions are best answered by setting up use cases as lazygardens suggested. Here are a couple of other ones:

-I think you once mentioned a pool? What route will wet kids take to the bathroom?

-How will laundry travel?

-Do you have a grade level entrance for the person in the wheelchair?

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oaktown, Thank you. That means alot coming from you. I follow your comments everywhere gathering ideas. Can I just pretend there isn't going to be a pool? I'm kind of freaked out about it. But once it's in, theoretically they will be coming in through the south entrance to the guest bath. Can I add a pool bath later? Oh wait. This isn't the Hamptons. ;) I should def. think about that one. The pool will be in the south east corner area. And laundry I expect will be dropped all over the floor if I don't have a nice rolling bin over there somewhere in the summer.

No grade level entrance sadly. I asked for one. Something about the foundation being on piers, etc., but we will have some kind of portable ramp for the south entrance and potentially for the side of the front porch as well... my mom likes to come in the "front" door. And I would love to humor her. The kids would love a ramp to ride their toys on. Oh boy. That might be dangerous!

LL: Yes! That's what I'm going for. Just not the pink (I love pink but I love my husband more.)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

How about pink accents? LOL I think I'd rather have green with pink and lavender accents.

I said on my post I had an idea...I don't know if this will work, but thought I'd give it a try :)

Here's Buehl's plan for your kitchen... {{gwi:1500922}}From Kitchen plans

I thought you said you liked pantry access and maybe laundry/mud room. If so, here's an idea with banquette looking out to garden and into sunroom. By moving it back just a bit, you should have plenty of room for football seating. {{gwi:1500924}}From Kitchen plans

I moved the door to the garden over to this side, for more room coming out of mud room into kitchen. Maybe a bookcase or little bench on the kitchen side of this wall...or even a half wall? {{gwi:1500926}}From Kitchen plans

Also, I meant to ask...do you want your hearth room doorway lining up with the powder room door? Do you want to see front door from kitchen? Or would it be better to move entrance for hearth room to the middle of the wall, more lined up with book nook?

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 4:27

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Many thoughts:

I'm with you on the large closet /small bedroom idea. The bedroom isn't a place I go to relax, so I don't care to "spend" my square footage there. However, a large closet (with plenty of organizers) makes it possible to keep the bedroom and the rest of the house streamlined and clutter-free.

I would cut out the windows in the closets. It takes away wall space, which could be used for hanging clothes or -- if the space isn't wide enough for another clothing rod -- hooks for hanging scarves, purses, jewelry. Also, sunlight fades clothing. I would, however, put motion-sensitive lights into the closet so that every time you walk in, the light comes on automatically. I have that in my pantry and laundry, and I LOVE IT.

The two-bedrooms-share-it bath doesn't have vanity space large enough to support two sinks. No one ever uses the sinks at the same time anyway, so it's better to go with one sink . . . and leave ample counterspace for make-up or shaving items (which may not matter today since your kids are small, but it will matter later . . . says the mother of teens) and space for drawers underneath.

Why two doors in the kid-who-gets-his-or-her-own-bath bathroom? You have no living spaces upstairs, so who would be using this bath via the hallway?

I agree with the previous poster about the toy closet. Nice in theory, but likely to go un-used. If you're looking for a place to cut costs (and who isn't?), you could rework that bathroom to incorporate that closet, and chop off the bump-out that currently houses a closet. OR something I'd like to have in my future house: Make this a locking closet. No doorknob; rather, it would open with a key, which only you would have. This would give you a place to lock up presents you've purchased early /are saving for birthdays or Christmas. You could keep gift wrap in the same spot. Or guns and ammunition, or other valuables. Or this could become a bookcase opening into the hallway. Alternately, a second linen closet would not be amiss. We have one in each bathroom (one being a huge walk-in), and they're both full.

Cool office for your husband. I agree that most adults would be fine with that small space, given that we use computers for everything -- paper storage isn't a need as it was in the past.

I like the entrance to your master bath. Nice that you walk past the closet. The fireplace, etc. in the master bath is too much for me. It's not where I'd spend the money.

In general, I think you're over-bathed. Bathrooms are the most expensive rooms in a house, and you have four of them upstairs for five family members . . . plus more downstairs. Not where I'd spend the money.

I like the kitchen better. Two corners in a kitchen make things feel so "closed in". You definitely have better flow now, and I'm sure you'll like the improved access to the pantry.

Lovely backdoor picture. Just my taste, and I can pinpoint the single thing I like best: Sunlight.

Finally, you say you're in a rush to meet a deadline. I mean this in all seriousness: DON'T. Don't rush. Yes, missing the deadline will mean a delay in starting to build, BUT you're still kicking around ideas. You're still incorporating new thoughts. You don't sound "final". I strongly suggest that you continue what you're doing now, continue to solicit ideas and tweak your plan . . . then live with the ideas for several months. Getting it right is much more important than getting it by next summer.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 8:47

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LL: I love pink and green together. Especially those particular shades. Your idea would look incredible built out, but you are adding square footage again! ;) And oh, the sunroom got bigger... I love that!

Mrs. Pete: Again, some good ideas. I think we are overbathed too, and trying to figure out how to remedy that. The master bath is a "split" bath, with a shower in one and a tub in the other, so really there is just an extra toilet. But the plumbing is an issue. My hubby really wanted his own "zone" away from all the girly stuff, so I'd love to accommodate his few requests, since I feel like I am getting so much! And I'd like to have the girls and boys have their own bathing space, however small. I suppose I could get rid of the powder room, but I've been advised against it and told that it will be hugely useful to have one in addition to the guest bath... especially when we have extended stay (over a month) grandparents stay. But the guest room/bath layout by LL from earlier might work really good as a dual purpose bath. Right about the fireplace, just a whim and likely will get cut. But I love the idea!

Good toy closet ideas... I have some big plans for the storage, and yes, it will likely serve as additional linen storage/sleeping back storage, etc. and I think I will use your idea about the key! Fabulous.

The "bump out" in the boys bath/closet area is actually the second gable coming off of the house above the guest area. The front elevation would look realllly weird to us without the continuous and prominent gable, and the designer is trying to get all the boxes to "line" up structurally for various reasons. I'm not sure saving 20-30 square feet here would really save us money, but I will look into it.

The deadline: Big sigh. You are right of course. We can't actually "build" until next spring (winter creek restrictions) but the grading permit (and bidding) needs to be filed asap to get through fish in game during that time. We have a site approval deadline though that we are trying to utilize and it is already a few years old, we had to extend it already and it is on it's last leg, so to speak. The lot escrow took much longer than expected.

So... do I make quick decisions and live with some "imperfect" designs and save a huge amount of money? Or do I wait for the perfect design, add 100K to the cost to build, risk a much higher interest rate, a higher cost per square foot (already a 30% jump for 8 months ago!) and live in a rental for another 3 years :(? (re-applying for site approval is expensive and opens up a slew of environmental restrictions that have to be updated and re-done which could actually prevent the build). I think the county would love to turn this back into agricultural, non-buildable land. We decided it's not worth the risk to wait. But... the benefit is my sweet husband is being very accommodating right now. :))) And... I have all this great help and support.

The market here is such that we couldn't find anything close to fitting our needs without a major remodel (a nightmare if you homeschool) and addition, and even those were going for obscene amounts and cash only offers. Unique land situation for sure, but I'm still happy to have it!

My biggest fear is that we wouldn't get a good basic first design to start with, but I think we are almost there, with a few tweaks. Once a builder looks at it next week, we should have some more cost saving ideas to implement too. I also think I can fiddle with the kitchen layout a little longer, since it won't change the footprint of the house.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Of course I added square footage! LOL But, not much...and it ties in nicely with your sunroom and gives you space for a small seating/game area in the hearth room. I know you have the big island, but with the kids, it might be nice to have the banquette.

If they eventually out grow it, you can turn it into a window seat with a few small round tables (think drinks before the game) like you see in a sports bar. How can DH not like that? :)

Given your situation, I would build the house, now. You have a great plan and I think you'll be very happy with what you have, right now. Just don't let them cut too much out! Not the book nook! (That's one of my favorites)

Meant to ask, did you say you've sketched furniture in the spaces? The one thing I see on TV is that people realize their rooms are too big in some areas and not big enough in others. They plan to have seating for 6 and can barely fit 4...but other areas can seat 12. If you've done that (and still like it) then everything else will be fine.

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 17:01

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer