Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
degcds

Relocating to Knoxville TN and looking to build

degcds
9 years ago

Hey everyone,

Almost exactly a year after moving into our dream home, my other half has accepted a job in Knoxville TN that we both agree couldn't be turned down. He has been there 3 months already and we are getting ready to list our home here in Columbus Ohio. We have already had some interest and a few Realtor walking through and one has a client ready to make an offer. So, that is VERY exciting, but very sad at the same time. With all the work and time we spent building this home, it will be hard to say good bye.

Now onto the relocation to Knoxville. We are looking to build, and want to know of any decent builders, and locations to look for lots. We are also toying with the idea of being out own GC's as we ended up GC'ing the majority of the current build our selves. I have confidence that it would work out well, but being in a market that we have no clue of, we aren't sure where to begin. We will be paying cash, and are looking in the 400-450k price point, and we will be downsizing because we do not want to take out a mortgage. Can anyone point us in a direction of what builders are good, and what the cost to build is like in knoxville?

We may have a lot of wants, I would love a farmhouse- Hardi Plank, hardwood floors (open to site finish or engineered) we just don't know what we can get for our money!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

-CS

Comments (6)

• Adam Graham
    9 years ago

I'd be interested in the same. We've been looking in the area for a while and haven't found anything with character that we've liked. Given that, it could be more expeditious and to our liking to just build and make the choices ourselves.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I'll be following your thread to hopefully learn more about building in Tennessee. We're under contract to buy acreage in Franklin (fell in love with the area after visiting this summer)and plan on building in 2-3 years.

• Apolonia3
    9 years ago

degcds: We are in the Farragut area which has some very nice unfinished sub-divisions and good schools if needed. Northshore is really nice too.
    Cannot recommend a builder, sorry. Perhaps a realtor or bank can help with that. Good luck, let us know what you find. Welcome to Tennessee!

• busjane
    9 years ago

degcds

We live in Knoxville and built our home about 5 years ago - it hardly seems that long ago! We really liked our builder.

Where in Knoxville do you think you want to live? Have you picked an area? There is a lot of new construction right now at least on the west side of town and probably other areas too.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

• degcds
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all!!

Thank you so much for the feed back! From what we have heard, we want to stay on the west side of knoxville, so open to really any area that direction. The better half's job is close to Hardin valley road. But he is willing to have a up to a 30-40 minute drive if we find a place we love.

Busjane, if you don't mind me asking, who was your builder? We have looked around the Farragut area, and so far that has been about it. We loved the covered bridge development but don't know what builders would be in that area!

Thanks,
    CS

• busjane
    9 years ago

I've sent you an email with details as I don't feel comfortable posting my builder's name without talking to him first. I'm sure he'd be fine with it but you never know!

Let me know if you don't get the email or if it gets lost in a spam folder or something. You can contact me through my profile page here too.