Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pocket door vs standard door

Posted by lexmomof3 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 21:11

Any idea how much extra using a pocket door instead of a standard door adds to the cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pocket door vs standard door

Regional prices will vary but our builder said that each pocket door will be an additional $50 to $75 in material and labor cost. We're in TN and have a cost plus fixed fee contract.

o

Awesome! I was afraid it was a lot more. Even if it's double or tripple that amount, it's still a reasonable upcharge for the two doorways I have in mind. They really need a pocket door instead of a standard door.

o

Make sure you call out Johnson hardware, at least 111PD grade good for doors up to 150 pounds, or 100PD for up to 200 pounds.

You do NOT want the 2800 series stuff.

o

Keep in mind if using pocket doors where you need storage, like baths, laundry, mudrooms etc. you can't hang any over the door basket type storage or hooks. I wanted to & then the light bulb went off :)

o

Floppy - But you have the wall where the door swing would have been to use for shelving.

Have the builder add some furring strips to screw your storage things into.

o

Our 2 pocket doors were $100 each. We are in KS.

o

Pocket door cost is also affected by the type of wall the door is going into.

A non-weight bearing wall is less expensive than putting a pocket door in a weight bearing wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here