Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
landcmom

brick

landcmom
15 years ago

Has anyone used the brick "Safford"? It is make by Jenkins brick company and sold by Acme brick.

If so, please send a pic!!

Comments (23)

• hendricus
    15 years ago

apparently not.

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

We are planning to have a small wall built up so we can determine whether we are going to order the Safford. I can email you a picture, hopefully you can determine even if the area is small. I hope we like it b/c we don't have a back up brick right now. We are planning on an ivory mortar flush with the brick. I like the "smear coated" look. Where are you at in your construction?
    Lana

• landcmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your input Lana. Sorry for the delayed response, but I have been out of town and away from a computer for a week. I ordered a sample of the Safford too and am in process of having a small wall built. You may get to it before me, so send me a pic please!! I love it so far but need a larger version to make a decision. Like you, I have no other option yet. I like the "smeared" look too.

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

We should definitely exchange pictures esp. if we use different color mortar. That can make a big difference. They are starting to paint our soffit's/trim next week. I sure hope the Safford looks like I hope it does :)
    Or else I'm going to be picking brick based on colors we've already painted. UGH! It's hard enough...

• landcmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are just beginning preparing our lot for the slab. Hopefully we will have a foundation this week. Sounds like you are way ahead of us!! I will definetly exchange pics with you when i have them. Where are you from?

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

We are almost done framing. Seems that part went fast but things will slow down now. We sold our last house and basically spent most of the summer finalizing our plans. It's been a long road! We moved from Indianapolis to right outside the city. We bought 3+ acres for the kids to run :) We are asking to get the brick out there ASAP.

• landcmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How exciting. I wish we were that far. I am so ready to see some sort of progress. We live in Arkansas,right across the river from Memphis. Keep me posted on your Safford and I will do the same!

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

Hi landcmom! Here are some pictures of our sample for the Jenkins Safford. I hope I'm copying the links correctly, let me know if you have problems viewing it. I may start a new thread as I don't think we are going to go with it.
    I need some help though!
    [IMG]http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo287/mom22kids1022/brick004.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo287/mom22kids1022/brick006.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo287/mom22kids1022/brick001.jpg[/IMG]

• landcmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't open your pictures. I would love to see them!

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

Ugh, I can't figure out this photobucket thing! :)
    Send me an email to lbobb1@comcast.net and I will send them to you.
    OR see if you can copy and paste those links in the 2nd attempt and see if it takes you to the pictures.
    It's growing on me now....we may try and pull the dark bricks out and see what we are left with. Nothing like making it simple. ha...Lana

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

Here you guys go.

{{gwi:1500669}}

• landcmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks jaymeilo for your help. I really like the light mortar with it mom22kids!! I think I may do it!Is that desert buff mortar? Also, are you putting any stone on your house?

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

jaymeilo, YOU ARE AWESOME! The mortar is IVORY, 12B Lehigh (sp?) Everyone that looks at the brick really likes it. We are asking the mason to pull out the dark bricks and use them around our windows and inside the window wells....well we are asking if he'd be up for doing that.
    It makes a huge difference when it dries, it got lighter as it dried. These pictures were taken yesterday and it got laid last Thursday. This is pretty much what it still looks like....it's growing on me.

• landcmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really like it. I like it more everytime I pull up the pictures. Pulling out the darker bricks for accent pieces is a good idea. Are you putting any stone on your house?

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

Landcmom
    OK...pressure is on for us. I meet with the brick guy tomorrow and we need to make final decisions. I want to look at some stone/brick options tomorrow. Do you have any ideas for stone you think looks good with the safford?
    Have you started looking at stone yet?
    :) Lana

• landcmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am definitely using stone on our house but I have not picked out anything specific. I am probably going to buy from Mountain Stone. Their website is www.mtstone.com. I am buying it through Acme Brick. I like the ledgestone/fieldstone combination in the color Loudon County or Keeowee Creek. That brick is so "custom" looking that I want the same quality in a stone too. Let me know what you think!!

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

I like the ledgestone-loudon county! It seems like it would be a great match! I thought maybe if we use stone to match up with the darker bricks, we could break it up a bit....I was thinking in the same color range as that one is. We have asked our rep to ask and see if he can find out what percentage of darker bricks make up the safford. I will let you know. do you think you are using the buff mortar? Are you going with a buffy color trim? We also have cedar shake siding in dormers that I don't want to take away from and I think the stone would be perfect for that! so natural....Our trim is already painted and garage doors ordered...how is that?? and we haven't settled on the exterior materials. YIKES!!!!
    There is a picture of the house on a thread I started for brick-need suggestions....if you have any good ideas :) I'll keep you posted!

• mdc08
    15 years ago

We asked our local bricking company to give us addresses that have the brick we liked. Brick appearance depends a lot on the mortar color you chose. We drove around and looked at several homes with the brick we loved and then came back and gave them the addresses we liked. They told us that all the homes we liked had gray mortar with "queen" size bricks. You may try that :)

• landcmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am using the ivory buff mortar. Any yes, my exterior trim will be a "buffy" color. We are still in the framing stage and I have not ordered a garage door and such yet. It will probably be buff colored with dark brown wood trim (carriage style doors). I am also planning on dark brown cedar shutters and maybe even dark gutters? I am also considering cedar shakes on my 2nd story. Sounds like we have the same taste!! These exterior decisions are stressing me because I know they are things that I can never change, unlike the interior. Keep me posted!! Oh, one more thing, there are no houses in the safford brick in my area so i can't drive over and see someone elses house. Are there any houses in your area that you have been able to see a finished product in the safford?

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

No, no houses! We were getting a first time user discount too.
    Send me your email address or email me and I'll send you all the pictures I have of it. I took a lot. They are big file sizes so I may have to send one or two at a time. But you can save them and keep looking back at them. I tend to be a little bit obsessive about stuff!
    The ones from far away look a tad lighter in nature than in person. But I have to tell you I found a brick I really like today, and the house that had it also had cedar shake siding....it's slightly more expensive though:( I'm trying to find it online. It's Triangle Brick, Nantucket Estate Series tumbled. I did see it on the website. It should look great with our trim/doors etc.
    We also did carriage style...a cheap version :) We went with a cheaper door and more $ on the hardware to put on it.

• landcmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My email address is: kellycfogleman@yahoo.com . I would love to see any pics that you have. I'm going to look up this triangle brick right now. Thanks!

• cwalkeree
    11 years ago

Hello mom22kids or landcmom,

I am looking into using the Safford brick.. did you guys decide to go with this brick? If so, are you happy with your decision?

Thanks!