Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

cased opening or not cased arch?

bridget helm
10 years ago

we have 2 6 foot wide cased openings that are centered right and left in our living room. would arched openings that aren't cased be less expensive than cased openings like this?

the walls there are 10"

Here is an example of the 10" openings that my builder does. I'm thinking the arches would be more budget friendly?

Comments (16)

• TaylorApple
    10 years ago

But are you going to be happy with arches long-term? I too toyed with the 2 options but was afraid the arches would look dated in a few years. (My grandparents put them in their house they built in 1951). A simple clean opening like you pictured seems much more timeless and classic. Can your builder choose a different style of casing and maybe save you some $? Good luck with your decision!

• TaylorApple
    10 years ago

But are you going to be happy with arches long-term? I too toyed with the 2 options but was afraid the arches would look dated in a few years. (My grandparents put them in their house they built in 1951). A simple clean opening like you pictured seems much more timeless and classic. Can your builder choose a different style of casing and maybe save you some $? Good luck with your decision!

• TaylorApple
    10 years ago

Sorry for duplicates!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

The exterior you posted on another thread has an arched front door. The style of your home leans to interior arched openings. I would use them to help break up the interior trim.

Our home has arched openings wherever there is an opening without a door. It's a new "old" home. If you'd like to see pictures, I've linked below. They were taken 5 yrs ago but there are more current photos in other articles.

Here is a link that might be useful: My house

• nini804
    10 years ago

Well, I think all openings should be cased, both arched and regular, unless it is a southwestern style home or something with those thick plaster walls. I think uncased openings look unfinished. I do think cased arches are particularly pretty. Our openings are cased, and in some rooms we jazzed them up with additional trim.

• kam76
    10 years ago

We have a couple of arches going in. Does anyone have any pictures of cased arches in their home? Is this something that would be a difficult DIY after we move in? We are trying to save some $ and thought this might be something we could do later, but if it is huge pain as an after project, we will just bite the bullet and have the builder do it.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Aside from an architectural modern, leaving casings off looks exactly like what it is: cheap. Like windows without jambs.

Cased ArchwaySource: mitrecontracting.com

• worthy
    10 years ago

Aside from an architectural modern, leaving casings off looks exactly like what it is: cheap. Like windows without jambs.

Cased ArchwaySource: mitrecontracting.com

{{!gwi}}

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

at the start, i insisted that all openings be cased, for 2 reasons - it looks finished and because we have 4 kids. now that we are trying to shave some costs, i am having to reconsider a few things.

i thought that since they are 6 feet wide that maybe the kids won't touch them. however, as i'm typing, i see my 10 year old practicing some football move in between a huge 10 foot cased opening in to our dining room. lol!!

so i'll leave them cased. they'll get really dingy otherwise. i already scream "don't touch my walls, please" at least 3 times a day to my children or a neighbors child. i don't need to add "don't touch the openings!"

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

allison, did you use Peacock pavers in your home. That's what Bobby McAlpine uses in many of his homes. I've never seen them in person.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I ordered samples, but back when we were building they did not have the thin pavers. Our main level is travertine and the lower level is an Italian porcelain tile. Next house I will use Peacock Pavers.

• ddr000
    10 years ago

We wanted a modern/transitional look, and went with uncased arches, and bullnosed corners. We love the look; this wasn't a cost savings measure. The bullnosed corners add an architectural detail and interest.

Adding some casing in the future isn't a huge expensive project, should you change your mind. Unless you go nuts with the trim, it should only be a few hundred per opening -- most trim is under $5/lf. Installation and painting are pretty easy.

• Jessica Finelli
    3 years ago

Someone commented about how all openings should be cased. What about really narrow openings? We have an opening that is just shy of 3 feet. Would you recommend casing it - will feel even more narrow?

• Jessica Finelli
    3 years ago

Also there is no wall to left or stairs to really fit molding around

• JustDoIt
    3 years ago

Jessica - This is such an old thread you might wish to start a new one.