Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharkgirl2000

How do you find an architect in rural Iowa?

Iowacommute
9 years ago

I wish the architects on this forum were in Iowa because that would make it much easier for me. ;)

I live in NE Iowa, and I am having a hard time finding an architect. Maybe I just need advice on how to find one because when I Google architectural groups, magazines, or professional organizations I never see work I'm really excited about. Should I contact them anyway to see if something clicks so to speak?

We want a small (under 1000 sqft) simple cottage bungalow similar to the style of the late 1920's for our working farm (something that was a dime a dozen by the likes of William A. Radford). It will be as energy efficient as we can afford which is one of the reasons for the size.

We want the experience of an architect to make the house the best it can be, and I'm hoping I can learn a little more from the pros here about how to find and connect with an architect for our little project. All of the houses I see in their online portfolios are so big. Am I going to get laughed at when I say "I want a house that has a story and that is true to the agricultural lifestyle of the region?"

I really appreciate the daily advice that is provided here, and I can't even begin to tell you how much I've learned from this site. For every couple of people on this forum that knock your profession there is someone like me. I wish I could hire all of you because that would be one awesome house.

Thank you.

Comments (19)

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Google northeast Iowa architects. A home designer might be more appropriate for the scale of your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: NE Iowa designer

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

Look for a chapter of The American Institute of Architects closest to you location and contact them for referrals.

Good luck with your project.

• arlocat
    9 years ago

Dubuque, Rochester and LaCrosse should all have architectural firms. None of those are terribly far from northeast Iowa. Perhaps you have checked them out and found that you aren't happy with their design portfolios?

• Iowacommute
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for responding so quickly. I will check out those links.

Ivmadison, I am closer to Waterloo, but I have looked at architects in those cities as well and haven't been excited by anything I've seen. I guess everything just looks like it belongs in a subdivision.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

You may not find what you are looking for, if you are depending upon an on-line portfolio.

• Iowacommute
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snoonyb, I was thinking about that too and how architects may only have projects that were completely dictated by their customers and lacking in the creative process. However my area isn't exactly crawling with people using architects so I've had a hard time trying to get some names for word of mouth.

Based on Renovator8's suggestion I found a home designer near me who seems to specialize in energy efficiency, and that is the best lead I've had so far. I know like everything else this will take some time, and hopefully our old farmhouse will hold up for a couple of more years.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Correct, often market driven.

Finding a designer interested in a moment of "Re-gendrification", as it were.

Where a 4square or craftsman bungalow, is right down their alley.

• bcafe
    9 years ago

Have you looked in Iowa City/CR? Maybe the University could give out suggestions? Do the Hawks produce architects? :) BTW, I grew up in NE Iowa.

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

Iowa State has an architectural school, I believe.

• sanctuarygirl
    9 years ago

Hi, you might consider Ahman Designs. Not an architect, a designer, but they seem to be quite busy and productive, you never know. They have a couple of offices:

In Cedar Rapids: 1641 Boyson Square Drive / Suite 100 / Hiawatha, IA 52233 / 1-800-725-6852 / FAX 319-395-7933

In Des Moines: 3094 104th Street / Urbandale, IA 50322 / 515-334-9446 / FAX 515-334-014

Here is a link that might be useful: Ahman Designs

• Iowacommute
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the help, and I will look into all of them.

I just discovered we live in a county with no building codes, and we will only need a permit for septic and electrical. Is this weird? I see so many people on here stressing over building codes, but to not have any?

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Many rural counties don't have codes, or even an inspection process. Your architect/designer will probably not give you a plan that doesn't conform to the IRC, if only because of the lawsuit potential. Asking them to give you a design that meets the newer "stretch" energy code (or beyond) is probably well worthwhile. Finding a builder who will actually follow the plan is another problem; you may want to retain your own inspector who will insure that all the caulking and sealing gets done per the plan unless you are comfortable doing that.

• kelbrad7
    9 years ago

We also live in an area that has no regulating or permitting. It's our land and money, so we can do whatever we want. Not sure if that's good or bad! ;)

• sanctuarygirl
    9 years ago

No, we are the same way where I live, counties have almost nothing in terms of building codes. Only in the past few years have people started to speak out for at least some basic codes outside city jurisdictions.

• Iowacommute
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have subscribed to Fine Homebuilding and reading the Green Building Advisor site to research better building methods.

There are some local builders (very small groups including Amish that is literally next door). I have been watching their work so I have an idea who I may go with. I will do most of the finishing work (not drywall though because I hate drywall). DH builds furniture in his freetime whole I do the sanding and staining because I have the eye and patience for it. We have a lot of experience with finishing and remodeling work so I'm looking forward to it.

There are also several cabinet makers within minutes of the farm so hopefully we can go with one of them. Installing cabinets doesn't sound very appealing. Plus my grandfather was a cabinetmaker so I want them just right.

• Iowacommute
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm hoping to put this group on the list, and hopefully they're wanting to do a small project. She's out of Wisconsin, and I really get her style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kee's Architecture in Wisconsin

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    9 years ago

Hi IowaCommute
    I am an architect out of Waterloo area that specializes in super energy efficient designs. I have my own home I designed and built 20 miles west of Waterloo a year ago you are more than welcome to see. If you are interested in talking, PM me!
    thanks

• Iowacommute
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi lzerarc, Thank you again for responding. I sent an email and look forward to speaking with you.