Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fhbh2000

FINALLY finished plans...next electrical

Bridget19
9 years ago

We finally figured out our house plans and now we are moving on to electrical.

We are going to add recessed lighting in every room, looking for any other feedback or suggestions??

Comments (5)

• A Lleux
    9 years ago

This is my very first time posting, but we aren't far ahead of you. We should be starting our build in another month or so. Electrical plans were SO hard for us, but we will get to do a walk through with the electrician after framing to make changes. Make sure you consider floor plugs in your large open living space. I also determined where I will put the Christmas tree and have that outlet on a switch so I don't have to crawl behind the tree to unplug lights. Eave outlets with switches to control. Imagine walking through each area and determine where you will need 3-way switches. We put an outlet on the fireplace mantel with a switch. Outlets in drawers/cabinets in the master bath for blow dryer, electric toothbrush, shaver, etc. Undercabinet lighting. I wanted my kitchen outlets mounted underneath the cabinets instead of on the backsplash. I put an outlet in the walk-in pantry and one in a laundry room cabinet for a handheld vacuum to charge. Lots of outlets outside. We put an extra 220 V in the garage. We are also running coax/cable in every bedroom. You can at least run conduit in the walls for future wiring of that. We are also installing an automatic generator so the electrician will install the transfer switch with rough-in. Think about placement of your breaker box and meter. Also you'll want to keep the generator as close as possible to all of that, if you are considering a generator. I still feel like we went crazy with recessed lighting so I'm kind of worried it will be too much, but I HATE a dark house. The bedrooms have a little natural light, but those windows will mostly stay covered so I want plenty of light.

I know I'm forgetting lots, but this is what I could think of.

• Bridget19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome tips...love it! Thanks for sharing such detail. We have a couple days to go over it now.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

Make sure your recessed lights are rated ICAT (Insulation Contact Air Tight) and that they are properly detailed. They are notorious for leaking warm air into the attic, raising power bills and causing ice damming on the roof. I think it's worth going LED, too.

• Oldmaster
    9 years ago

Recessed lights are very trendy right now, but I find electricians like charging extra for these and they quickly add up.

I had to cut the number of recessed lights I had down to 20, because the electricians in the area were charging $120 - $150 per light for them. That plus the fact that they were all recommending 4" lights because anything bigger is "dated", so they say. I just didn't feel it offered the proper bang for the buck.

It could be that electricians in other regions are different, but in my case none of the other types of lights were extra as long as I bought the fixtures. So I opted for a nice Chandelier in the bathroom, instead of many pot lights, additional chandeliers in the living area and foyer, and some wall scones beside the bed in the bedrooms. I don't plan to go crazy with buying the Chandeliers either, but for the price of 3-4 potlights I can get really nice ones.

• rightdi_gw
    9 years ago

Aleleux did a good job detailing some must haves. Don't forget the obvious ones too...make sure you know everywhere you want a light fixture: over island, dining room, entrance, bathrooms, etc. For instance, I made sure my master bathroom had a lighting outlet in the center for a possible chandelier. It's important to know the bathroom fixtures. Do you want traditional over mirror, mounted sconces, or fixtures hanging from ceilings. That will change electrical plan, and will require revisions $$. Also, placement of switches is important. Do you want your closet light switch outside or inside your closet? Also plan for alarm, cameras, sound etc. Good luck. They are installing electrical as we speak in my new build. Good luck!!!