Return to the Building a Home Forum

o
It's September 2014, How's your Build?

Posted by Autumn.4 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 18:37

The night before school and all through the house all the creatures are stirring - even the mouse. Ack!!

Link to August 2014 Part 3.

Kicking it off for September...which is a year on the 9th since we broke ground. Wow.

Jackson-very funny post about lighting - but I am sure not so funny to work through. We must have cross posted before because I just saw it now. Your porch looks great!

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 18:46

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's September 2014, How's your Build?

Last few pics - did a clean up before the start of school:

DS#1
 photo IMG_1455_zps07311cba.jpg

DS#2
Not a good representation of the color:
 photo IMG_1444_zps69434f94.jpg

This is more true:
 photo IMG_1445_zps133e2682.jpg

Of course have to take a pic of the lego army (he knows all of you adults have been waiting to see that and yes they are all arranged just so):
 photo IMG_1446_zps9daf68e4.jpg

Kids bath (still needs crown and backsplash):
 photo IMG_1450_zpsf15be5d6.jpg

photo IMG_1452_zps4c5ce37d.jpg

Back to school lunch packing and calming the pre-middle school jitters. :D

o

I love the last picture! We are doing Hickory floor and I just picked a paint similar to your wall color. What color is that? Not much but drywall going on at our build. They are basically done though, skimcoated and waiting for texture before paint. Not sure what comes next but I hope we are in the home stretch. I did discover a leak downstairs in the unfinished basement so hopefully that doesn't turn into a big ordeal.....

o

Mfatt-thanks. It's BM Sandy Hook Gray. We really like it-first couple rolls I was scared it might be too dark but it compliments the cabinets and flooring well. Good to find the leak now rather than later. I hope it's nothing too difficult to fix.

o

Nice Autumn. Lego army made me laugh. Gotta love it.

MFatt - hope the leak is a minor fix.

Jackson - your lights look good. Funny that they were like a walmart parking lot...lol.

o

Front details coming together, siding, masonry, planter, dovecote, etc:

Rear landscaping in full swing:

Lanai ceiling going up:

Dining room trim:

o

Autumn-love your colors. I always thought of myself as good at picking colors. Now I have to make a final decision on exterior colors and I'm scared I will pick wrong. Thinking SW 6256 serious gray with accent of SW 7602 indigo batik. The indigo batik will be on the front in 2 areas, around front door up to peak and front peak area of garage (around right garage window). The chimney on the right will be a blueish stone. (More pics in a minute, can't post more than one pic at a time on my iPad). What do you think?

o

Here are the colors.

o

Caben - you are rockin' and rollin' now. A lot going on.

Crafty - I like your colors just fine. You've come a long way also.

I feel like everyone on here will be moved in before me. Everything is taking so long. My neighbors that started three months after us on their build have already moved in. I wish I could hire out all the work so someone could just hand us the keys when it was ready. Oh well, guess it'll be done soon enough.

o

Caben, love the low pitch roofline and the way your house settles into the lot. Looking good:-)
CraftyGranny- I like the two colors together. Your indigo is deep enough not to have to be redone every 2 years. Should hold up well.

Making a dent in the unpacking. BIG step today was to throw away some of my Fitz and Floyd boxes. The beautiful things are home now, behind glass.

Spent yesterday doing some remediation on the street and common property adjacent to our lot. Since we live on a slope the street was full of sand and construction grit. Our crews did a very cursory clean up, but all the sludge washed down into the turnaround and it is about 7 inches thick down against the curb, so I worked on that a bit. Our GC will send out a crew with flat shovels tomorrow to get what I could not manage. After that, we will sow more zoysia and bluebonnet seeds into the common area that was disturbed, and hopefully by Spring, we will have a wildflower field out by the dam.

Progress being made every day in the organization department. Here is the dining room, sans chandelier.

This post was edited by musicgal on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 12:59

o

From the opposite direction-

o

I love that your trim is stained! I have had the hardest time finding pics if stained trim with actual color in the walls. Stained trim and white walls but no color. Looks great!

o

So nice to see everyone's updates.
We are having our truss inspection tomorrow, fingers crossed as we have failed the first time (nothing like your shell contractor deciding to not follow the engineers plan, and having that hold us up a month!).
The AC ducts will be going up this week.
Meeting with the kitchen guy for measuring tomorrow morning :)

Crafty_Granny: love the color combo!

o

MFatt- thanks. That room ended up feeling very inviting, even though it is formal. People who come over to see the house are drawn to the wood and red tones. We have sconces that go up in there after the ceiling gets its treatment.

o

Crafty granny, we painted all our hardie serious gray thinking we had a lovely gray with a hint of blue. And now we are known as the blue house. Not what we had in mind! We painted a sample board but apparently it wasn't large enough. It does look great with the stone--bucks county country.

o

That's funny, ellenandco. I read the serious grey as more of a green gray. I want to be the blue house :). I might pick up a sample of the Indigo Batik. It's kind of what I'm thinking of for my siding.

o

Jdez and Carsonheim - thanks for the comments! We were really wanting a white or grey kitchen but both are upgrades so we stuck with one of the standard colors. Glad we upgraded to the cabinets to the ceiling though. We are also happy with how the siding is turning out.

Crafty granny - our colors are wedgewood blue and dove gray, with white trim and black stone. We originally chose a darker gray (evening gray), but when we saw it on our soffit, it blends too much with the blue so we opted to change for a lighter one. It is not up yet, but I think if there was an option for a medium hue of gray, I would get that instead. We are using seamless steel siding so the colors are limited. Only 2 grays to choose from. It is different when you choose from a color swatch so make sure you look at the colors from afar as well.

o

Musicgal - your dining room is beautiful, like out of a magazine.

Poisoned by the china buffet last night. That's what I get for not cooking supper. I lived through it though so I had to come to work. Fingers crossed that something might get finished on our build today. I haven't had any pictures to share in forever.

o

JDez- aargh, that is one bad night if I remember it correctly. Hope you feel better today.

Thanks for the good words. You will be decorating and organizing SOON:-) Feels a little strange to go from one mode to the other, but we are still in limbo since the inspectors haven't completely finished with us. I am expecting a posse this morning- I expect at least one more visit from them as we work on odds and ends.

Just ordered fluted casing from HD for our feature wall in the Master Bedroom. I am going to try to barter out the carpentry labor for some of our leftover building materials... which we have plenty of;-)

o

JDez - The china buffet, yikes! We say going to that place always sounds like a good idea... but ends up being a bad idea. Ha ha!!

So we have made some slow but steady progress. Trim is up, cabinets and appliances are delivered and painting has begun. Sidewalk has been started. My nerves are starting to unravel.

I have a few questions to ask of anyone and everyone who wants to answer. I know I'm paying a lot for this house (not an uber-expensive custom build, but a semi-custom with a quality builder who usually does development homes), but I'm also aware that I'm extremely detail oriented, and a little particular.

When they finish up and have the house cleaned- what should I expect? I mean, I know it won't be PERFECT, but I have no idea what is normal.

The initial (sprayed) paint job is pretty rough- some ragged trim and corner edges, overlap of semi-gloss onto flat paint, random mysterious pin holes in the drywall that WERE NOT THERE prior to painting... there's bits of plaster on our siding and some gaps in the trim around a couple of doors... one of the doors has a small dent... etc. etc.). They haven't done the finish/detail work yet but I'm not sure how detailed they're going to get, and what is realistic to expect.

So when you moved in, did you have to clean anything or do any detail work (like touch up paint on the window trim, or take bleach to some of your siding)?

Was there something you wish you'd been firmer about them doing prior to moving in?

Or is it better not to sweat the details?

Do I even make sense at this point? Or am I just losing my mind??!?

o

LBC - You've probably lost your mind...lol. I can't help you because we are not to that point but since we are doing most of that stuff ourselves, it will be on us to clean up and fix up. I will have the builder come back out if there is something that needs to be done that is beyond our abilities. Hopefully, someone can give you some advice on this. No pictures?

This post was edited by JDez on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 14:13

o

Ladybrowncoat - sorry I have no answer for you either, but I am wondering about the same thing. I feel like when we go there I see a lot of things that need to be addressed, yet some of the subs don't like it when we mention something that they missed while they are still on the job (I mean, coming back the next day). They say they are not done yet so we shouldn't be pointing out things to them (in our case, missing outlets and recessed light openings, or wrong color windows, or chipped paint, or mud drips on the wall). But precisely why we point them out is because it will be great if they can be addressed while the particular sub is there, right? Or did I miss anything? Would they rather be called back in the middle of another job?

Anyway, I also have a question for the group. If you have hardwood floors coming from the main entry, what direction did you go with, front to back or parallel to the door (side-to-side)? Did the direction of the floor joist dictate the direction for you?

Lastly, here is a picture of the things that made me happy yesterday :)...

Correct garage doors are in (last month the wrong garage door company came and installed the wrong garage doors, so of course those had to be removed -- not sure how our builder got that mixed up). Originally wanted a 2-tone gray and white door, but didn't want to spend so much more anymore.

Wood plank tiles - pleasantly surprised with color, not what I recall choosing (which I thought I saw on a recent trip installed in our hotel and I hated it there, so good thing it is not that one). Also very pleased with the tile people as they are super nice and helpful. They advised us on patterns and grout etc.

Kitchen cabinets - next best thing to white or gray cabinets :) We didn't get the color we wanted but at least we were able to upgrade to the stacked cabinets, and white counters (doing template next week). Also glad we changed the pulls on the upper cabinets to the small ones, otherwise there will be a lot of the pulls on there. The posts for the island turned out nice as well (didn't get to see them before the cabinet people ordered them). Still missing crown and some other trim.

o

We are not there either but I expect the house to look like a finished model home. I expect some dust as I hear that will happen for months after.

You will do a walkthrough at the end and mark all the stuff that's wrong, usually with painter's tape. My friend's DH is Superintendent for a high end builder and that's what he told me to expect. Custom is a bit different but you should get a chance for mistakes to be fixed.

o

Just got home from our initial electrical walk-through, 3 hours and I am exhausted! I know there is much more to come but so many decisions! Where do I want the TVs to go, switch inside or outside of the closets, how many pot lights in the hall, is one outlet enough on the deck, etc. Sure hope I made all the important ones correct!

North Pole, good advise, we did paint a large piece of siding to get a good idea of the color from farther away. I'm sure it will look different still when the whole house is done. We had the whole SW fan deck to chose from so my eyes were swimming after a while.

o

ladybrowncoat- truth is, it will vary from builder to builder. My tract homes were left in better shape for move in than this very expensive custom home. Truth be told, I am totally disgusted with my builder right now. However...
this home will be perfect in a few months, no thanks to him. A lot of the work will be done by me. I didn't want it to be, but like in the old James Bond movie- nobody does it better- even if we pay them well.

There is a fine line to be walked for us right now at this point, because we are still working with him to fix obvious thing. But the advantage of working with him is petering out quickly as we are getting charged basically for things which should have been done already... like missing closet rods, doorstop mistakes, etc. I am quietly livid- but the house itself is great. The lake sparkles outside, and a cockaded woodpecker is making sounds we don't hear in the city.

Be as picky as you feel you should be... there will still be things to do at the end of it all. But, life is still good:)

o

Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
Certificate of Occupancy... :)

Gotta get one last coat of clear on the floors, then hire a herd of strong backs to haul our cr@p out of the basement.

The work's not all done, but at least we'll be in this weekend. What a long strange trip it's been.

o

jdez-we have Lego army's where you might least expect them....mmm hmmm. And I think the vacuum has beat a fair share of them.

ladybrowncoat-good to hear from you but thought there might be a few pics as well - hint hint. We were in the same boat as jdez. DIY, own GC. Any issues we had were our own. Some we let lay, others we are still plugging away at. There are times I wish we showed up to a finished CLEAN and already moved in house with a yard and a rainbow over it while we walked over the threshold with a shiny new key...insert music fanfare and all the hoopla. But the reality is we did most/all finish work, cleaning, packing, moving and we are a year away from grass. DH tells me that this is more gratifying and that I had unrealistic expectations and I suppose if I am honest - I did. If I could change anything - it would be my perception of how I thought it would be and at times it was 180 degrees different than reality. My biggest hang up was spraying our own trim which looks good but it's not perfect and I had trouble accepting our learning curve. ;) Either way it is our home and ours to enjoy!

oicu-"what a long strange trip it's been" couldn't agree more and even 3 months post move in sometimes I still think - huh, here we are, sometimes feels like it was a dream and went super fast and other times like the nightmare would never end. LOL! Surreal for sure. Congrats to you and your family!

caben-wow! Great to see pics - you are coming right along!

craftygranny-thank you. :) I think your colors look good. But I have to preface that with the fact that we picked out our siding color, the master bedroom and that's it! I had an interior decorator that helped with everything else. I have no 'vision' for that stuff at all. I know what I like when I see something complete though. :) Choosing from tiny samples is so hard! One more thing under your belt with electrical - woohoo!

music-nice dining room and nice view! I see good reason to not get to the water from the yard with your swimming neighbors. Are you used to it and how often do you see gators or crocs?

northpole-floor joists dictated ours. In some ways I thought they should have been laid opposite but I am used to them now. Great pics - lovely and yes soooo exciting to walk into that! :D

robyn-are you in???

Windows are in the barn and the flooring on the small walk up space - storage / boys claimed as cool fort spot?

o

I feel like we are at an ackward stage. Inside, things are going well. Painters started putting colors on the walls today.

After 6 weeks on the job, the siding subs walked off the job today when they were told siding on half house needed to come off and get installed correctly. It's not typical siding, it's Certainteed cedar impressions. It's more work than regular siding. I think these subs got in over there head. They also lied to the builder saying that they had installed this type of siding before. I am not happy that we let it get this far, but I will be glad to have it done right. At least all my framing isn't coming down like another poster did.

We don't have garage doors, but the garage is already painted. I am hoping for the best. I'll be so happy to have this done!

o

Hi PeachNC- You are now officially part of the club! Just kidding- but no, really... can't imagine going through a whole building project without encountering a lying sub, or having to tear something out because a contractor didn't do it right. Sorry this is happening right now. Good news is that you will probably have some great subs too. Spent my evening with one who could end up being a real friend- hope he and his wife buy into our subdivision. He has real integrity; saved us thousands of dollars.

Autumn- Not "used" to it at all after years in the city. Took a moonlight swim tonight and looked at the stars and half moon in the pool. God bless Mr. Gator. It's a great boating lake and we will get around to that in the Spring when everything else is done.

This post was edited by musicgal on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 22:43

o

Autumn - Thumbs up on the fort. Glad your seeing a lil progress.

PeachNC - Keep your chin up. It will all be okay in the end. Good choice in making sure things are done right.

Musicgal - Awesome view! I hope y'all are settling in and having fun, regardless of the work that is left to do.

o

Thanks JDez. My soul is fed even though my body is tired:-) I 'll take the trade.
Oicu- hooray! So excited for you and the crew. That is going to make getting to school so much easier. After that, everthing is gravy.

Carson- where are you? I woke up this morning with the idea I 'd go to CS to the Furniture Row store. I crave Euro pillows-

o

Northpole, I lay my hardwood floors in the direction I want to look longer. To highlight a long room, run them that way. If you want it to look wider, run them across. The joists shouldn't matter, because you'll have subfloor on top of that.

We've had a busy week. Water proofing is done on our walls. The foundation is being inspected today. I had to book it yesterday, then call the city at 7:30 this morning to find out if they're going to be there this morning or this afternoon. Then I have to go sit at at the lot and wait for them for up to 4 hours. If, at 7:30, they had told me I had a morning appointment, I'd have needed to be at the lot for 8am. It takes about 30 minutes to drive there at rush hour. So I was up and ready to go, and my appointment is this afternoon.

I'm "this close" to getting the windows ordered. I finally got the final pricing after waiting on it for a week.

I also got the joists for the first floor ordered. We still don't have the drawings from the second joist company, so I had to go ahead and order from the first one, who's more expensive. But they're a week behind, and I just couldn't wait any longer.

After the inspection, we need to insulate the basement walls. DH is pissed because they added an extra foot of gravel on the weeping tile. We'll need to dig that out to get at the walls. And then we got the bill, and they charged us an extra $400 for the extra gravel. Thanks ever so much!

o

This is cross-posted. Need your opinion please:

What color recessed lights to put on the exterior? Our soffit is dark gray, but fascia and trim are white. Stone is black, both on the lower and upper parts of exterior. Would you do white recessed lights or black? I think either one will sort of pop out and not really blend in :/. Want your opinion please on what will be less obvious, and/or what you would prefer. Thank you!

Autumn and amberm - Thanks for the input on the hardwood. Talked to the hardwood guy earlier and he basically said he would do the opposite of what is in the original plan (which I actually honestly thought was weird when I first saw it, but eventually grew on me the more I saw it on houses here, I guess). I really don't have a preference, either way would have made some rooms really nice and other rooms kind of awkward, so I am glad he decided that one for us. Thank you for the input!

This post was edited by northpolehome on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 13:43

o

northpole- white would look nautical against those cool colors and match your trim. If you like that look, that is the way to go.

The black sounds like it would go with your stone. If you hate nautical looks, then you should go that way. I am surprised they don't have a plain neutral gray. That would stand out less for sure, and blend with all your elements.

o

Musicgal - thank you for the input! I don't dislike nautical at all, but that is nowhere near the look we are going for outside (maybe I could do that in my son's room though!). It is great to see it from someone else's eyes. I guess I could ask if there is gray, but that would mean an upcharge for sure.

o

Northpole- my electric guys spraypainted some of my trim elements to coordinate better. If your lights are not 1 piece (many of ours are) and have a screw in bulb, maybe you could spray the body to match your soffit, taking care to mask your plug. Maybe worth a look see with one, just to see what happens.

o

I like musicgal's painting suggestion. I've done that to lights I bought at garage sales and didn't like the colour of. :P

Sitting at the lot now, waiting on the inspector. I just realized the other day that I have mountain views, too. Not as good as Robyn's. But I think we'll see this from the 3rd floor on clear days.

o

Hey guys :) Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know how happy we are with the detail after the move :)

No real pictures as of yet- too hard to get a picture inside because everything is covered with plaster or filled with boxes (of cabinets, vanities, sinks and appliances). And the outside looks the same- sigh.

SOON!!!!!

o

Amberm- wooo- pretty. What is that white stuff on those mountains;-) 90 degrees here, "feels like" 99:(

o

Well, after 3.5 months our framers are finally finished. Seriously. That's a loooong time for framers to take.

Paint is going on the siding now. Here's the color scheme -- garden sage by Sherwin Williams. I can't remember the name of the creamy trim color.

photo 2014-09-04125934_zpsb1093a53.jpg

This is CJ, one of the painters applying it to the siding:
 photo 2014-09-04141259_zpsdfe0fb2f.jpg

And Lamar -- happy guy!
 photo 2014-09-04141308_zpsaefc9e0b.jpg

Brick going on in a week or so. Waiting on it to be delivered. :)

o

That white stuff is not just in the mountains. :( South of the city got several inches yesterday. BIL promises we've still got lots of nice weather ahead. I told him I would hold him to that :P. It was in the 30s this morning at 7:30. It's 64 now according to my car.

And the first inspection is passed!

Now, I need to call the city and find out the status of our garage. Architect days it's part of the house building permit, and therefore we can't start it right away. Inspector says it's a separate building permit, so we should be able to start right away, assuming we've actually applied for it. :/

o

We are still waiting on our windows from OKNA, they tell us they are shipping every week, and then the day we are supposed to get them, they email to say there is another delay. I am losing my mind :) It has now delayed us 6 weeks.

On the bright side they did pour the concrete in the garages today, so I will go and look at it tomorrow.

Robyn where did you go, I am living vicariously through you, since we started at the same time?

o

amberrrrr-say it isn't so! I am not ready for the white stuff! That is a very nice view, even if it is covered in white! I hope all of your permits are in order....

music-a dip in the pool under a night sky sounds fantastic! We can really see the stars out here its so dark. Love it! I am surprised at how loud the tree frogs and such can be. It's almost deafening in the silence of the night.

LBC-keep the chin up and speak up about anything that will really bother you and/or that you cannot or don't feel comfortable with touching up yourself later. I can't wait to see pics!

northpole-exactly. That really sums it up-some places it looks how you picture it which means others just don't. We have tile in a brick pattern in the back entrance which feeds a few other spaces and it's the same thing. I guess it adds visual interest? On the lights...I am just going to throw this out there. In my experience, that is one of those places that after it's all said and done you will likely not grind your teeth over no matter which way you go. We have two porch overhangs and I started agonizing over going white or going wood and in the end, I never LOOK UP. Gah. Since you have both those elements (dark and light) I think you can go either way truly. If I had to pick I think with your darker stone and house color I'd go dark. But that doesn't mean white is wrong or off....and remember I had to pay someone to help me decorate. :D

jennie-oh no, that is so frustrating. What is the hold up? Are they even saying?

carson-3.5 months is a crazy long time. Your painters look so happy to be painting - love it! Your brick sample looks great next to the paint.

Peach-it sounds like it's for the best. The delay is a drag but that is a large part of your home that is the first thing you see so it's good that it will be redone correctly. Patience patience, they sure do run out during a build and they take a long time to build back up afterwards too, lol!

jdez-said fort is going to need a fan or something. It's pretty hot up there (or so I hear). There is one window that opens, the other is fixed. Waiting for siding now...which we have delayed ordering a bit after all of my lovely car repairs.

o

They were laying sub flooring when we went by today!! May have some pics tomorrow :D

Or soon, at the very least.

o

Thanks for the input, Autumn.4. I think we are leaning towards black, unless I hear some violent reaction from here haha!

Sad we didn't get in the house today. They locked every door :(. Was excited to take a look at the light fixtures they installed inside. Will try to go tomorrow while they are still there. Getting very close to finishing the exterior. Here is a glimpse of the side of the garage.

o

northpole-you don't have a key? Maybe that is standard because you have a builder? I just assumed you could get in whenever you wanted being this far along. It looks great!

o

We have actually applied for the garage permit. It's a separate permit. We applied for it at the same time, and it being reviewed together, but it's got its own permit number. I asked the city if we can get the garage permit released, so we can get building that while we wait on the changes to the house design. They said that they don't approve garage permits until there's a house permit in place because the land is zoned residential. No building a garage by itself. Fair enough, but we have a full foundation for the house, and we're actively trying to get it built. So I had to send a nice, polite, "please?" email to the guy reviewing our file.

Fingers crossed!

o

Autumn.4 - no key :/ we are not even supposed to go there without someone from the builder's team or at least a notice that we will be going. But really, it is 5 minutes from our current home so we go everyday :). But these past few days the subs have been calling us to go there (everyday this week almost) to approve this and that. But it is different when they are all there vs "touring" at our leisure at day's end.

o

Hi Everyone! Sorry I have been MIA lately. My husband finally moved here after 3 months of living apart! I moved early with the kids to be near the build while he finished working in Oklahoma.

Lots of progress on our house. We should be moving in on September 30th.

I'm going to post these separately since my Photobucket is acting up.

They added all the balusters today! I love them!!! This is the view looking down from our back staircase into the Great Room.

o

I love the view looking up from the Great Room!

o

Here is a picture of our front spiral staircase.

o

Here is the view from the formal Living Room looking up.

o

Here is the stair case going up in the back of the house.

o

I looooooove how the granite on our Master Bedroom fireplace turned out! We had to change it at the last minute because I didn't have enough quartzite for it.

o

Love seeing all the progress. Congrats to everyone who moved in!

We are still in the waiting phase. We applied separately for our clearing permit so we could start on that before the rain. The County told us 2-4 weeks for the clearing permit and it's been 6 weeks and no news. Hubby is growing antsy and has his excavator all ready to go. Fingers crossed it will happen soon. We are trying to be patient, we knew dealing with the county was going to be a LONG, frustrating process.

o

Musicgal, I love where your piano is placed with all those windows and the lovely view. Your iron work and all the stone are unique and beautiful. So nice!

Ourdreamhome, where in South Florida are you? We are in Florida as well, outside of Tampa.

Autumn.4, I loved the pictures of your lived in house. Great colors. I love the dining room with “family” over the window. The wood floor looks great, love the desk nook, the fireplace, the white kitchen, and your décor. Good job!

Crafty_granny,
Be careful with SW Serious gray�"we have it in our master closet and love it, but it is much darker than your sample. It is a rich, deep blue with hints of purple undertone, at least in our house. Make sure you paint a sample board or something first so you know exactly what you’re getting.

Robyn, I can’t believe how fast they are building your house! September 30th is almost here! We signed our loan documents last September 27th and it feels like it is taking FOREVER, and our house is less than half of yours! It is looking so beautiful though. Love those curving staircases.

I have been MIA for so long. I do read whenever I can put I have so much going on it’s hard to remember to post something. I started grad school on top of all this house stuff, getting ready to move, volunteering to direct my kids’ Adventurers club meetings, ect. Ect. The grad school classes are really killing me. Anyway, I promise I will post some pictures this weekend. We are a week or two from being done. Of course, we have a lot of DIY work after we move in, but at least we will be IN. I am SO ready to be done with our builders and their mess-ups and lack of communication, ect.

o

I have so enjoyed gleaning information from this forum, and I'm happy to say we are *finally starting our build! The basement digging/prep work was finished yesterday and the Superior Walls are scheduled to be placed next week.

Do you all have any suggestions of what to do with rock found on site? Did you have it hauled off? We knew we would hit rock digging the basement, but now that we see how much it is, we need a plan of what to do about it.

Here's one photo from yesterday that shows some of the rock.

I put a link to my blog about our house journey, if you want to tag along.

Looking forward to sharing what we learn this next year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our new home

o

We have a countertop on our basement kitchenette!! I love it and it was a remnant!

o

I really like this creamy paint with the green!

o

Our shelves and mantel are ready to be stained! Then they can start stoning the fireplace. Yay!

o

Looks great Carson!!

o

Ok, here goes:
This is from the family room looking into kitchen with living room beyond it. The floor is just sheet vinyl, but we will put in laminate wood or luxury plank after moving in, since the builders wanted a huge mark-up for it.

o

from outside edge of kitchen looking back the other way, towards the family room. This is a week old--blanco sink is in now. :-)

o

family room

o

four-year-old's room with the "princess light"

o

And last, the front door. Don't mind the hooligans.

o

We had subflooring and a partial kitchen put in today :) Here's some pics, sorry for the multiples but I'm on my phone.

o

Another

o

More...

o

skyangel- What is the color gray you guys used?

Robyn-I am in awe everything is so gorgeous.

o

Wow - look at all that eye candy! Woohoo people, looking awesome!

skyangel-welllll, that is an adorable hooligan picture. Are they locked out already? Hehehe! I'd love to see more of your front there - your entry looks very inviting and I like your pillars. Kitchen looks great (awesome light over the peninsula) and looks like a great flow - open but not TOO open. :D And, of course that girly light for your daughter is perfect! Looks like you are almost there!

robyn-congrats on hubby joining you. I am *sure* that was a longggg 3 months! Your stairwells and balusters are so graceful. Very pretty and the dark iron - what a striking combination! We have the dark too (but not the graceful curves) which is probably why I like it so much. :) Your house is moving so FAST!

LBC-looks like a lot of natural light. That will be awesome. So light and airy. I can't wait to see what's under your paper there. Kitchen looks good. I have that same angled wall and love that it kind of separates the living room from the dining room...kinda sorta.

Sitting on the living room rug finally. It's so soft (that is it's claim to fame - it's plain Jane otherwise but a chunky loop). It needs to be adjusted but the carpet dwellers landed on it before I could get it situated. :) We are heading toward 60 degrees by next week. I am so not ready for winter but I am giddy for fall. And of course we still have Indian Summer to look forward to.

o

robyn I really like that spiral staircase. How grand.

carson Love those porch posts. How massive. Are those 12" or bigger? I hope mine turn out like that. What presence.

We got our occupancy permit the other day. Had the moving crew come back this morning to haul everything out of the corner of the basement and into the rooms. We're spending one last night in a hotel, then'll pack up the temporary living gear and move ourselves in tomorrow. First night in our new home. Still a couple weeks of work to do outside, and odds & ends inside, but at least we'll have a permanent home. Been thru 4 places this past year. Quite a trip.

Gonna go silent for about a week until Internet/TV/Phone gets installed next Friday. We'll see how long it takes the kids to go feral without wifi. Time to break out the board games.

Here is a link that might be useful: (take it away, Vince) I'm on my waa-ay...Home Sweet Home.

o

There are some beautiful homes on here! I live all the photos everyone shares.

I can't decide what color to paint the coffered ceiling when it is finished. I am thinking a mossy green, maybe? Suggestions? The plans called for a cathedral ceiling with wood beams. I cut that out due to cost. I really thought that I would regret it. Now that this is up, I think I like it better than the cathedral ceiling.

o

After waiting a month since our concrete was poured for the crawlspace we are FINALLY into framing. These were taken by my builder last week. From here out my builder will be there until we are finished with a full crew. He only builds one home at a time. So hopefully, we will be able to see some good progress.

My husband moves in with me the end of the month so he can oversee the build while I work. He is retiring the end of December from his company but will be working from home most of the time until then. He will have more time than me to check everything out.

This first picture is the wood being delivered:

o

Beginning the framing....

o

oicu -- yup, 12" built on site. Thanks! I like how they came out. I don't like wimpy columns, LOL :)

o

I haven't posted much lately, but I'm here reading every day! Congratulations to all of you have recently finished, or nearly so. It's quite a journey, isn't it? And welcome to the newcomers; I look forward to watching your houses go up.

I put my tin ceiling up in the kitchen, since the weather hasn't been conducive to outdoor work this week. I think my siding is going to take forever! At least there's always something to do, inside or out. I'm kind of ADD anyway, so I like to jump from one thing to another. At least I finished the kitchen ceiling. I need to paint those recessed light bezels a color that goes better with the tin. If you look close, you'll see that I used a different panel for the center where the fan is. Still trying to pick wall colors.....

photo 006-6.jpg

o

Appreciate all the great pictures posted here.. So busy GCing this house with it moving so fast.. Its a 40+ hour a job .. I can't keep up.. Here are some updated pictures.. Hope to have the insulation in by the end of the month and start sheet rock and taping October 1st. Can someone tell me how to upload more then one file at a time..? I click browse to add a second phone it deletes the first one I added..

o

Here is another one..

o

and another..

o

skyangel, that kitchen counter is stunning! I must know what it is!

o

Can someone tell me how to upload more then one file at a time..? I click browse to add a second phone it deletes the first one I added..

You need to have them posted on another website. Then you post a link to the images, with an html tag. img src="link", enclosed within the angle brackets. ><

It's impossible to type out here without the site thinking I'm trying to post an image. :P

o

DH and I spent the better part of the day finishing the foam insulation on the outside of our basement. I also got inside the basement for the first time. BIL suggested that we pick up any of the loose concrete that oozed out of the forms. I realized that they spilled concrete where we're planning to rough in a future bathroom. So I had to dig that out.

I didn't wear my steel toe boots to the site today, for the first time. I blame DH. He didn't wear his. His exact words, "what am I going to do, drop foam on my foot?" So of course, I dropped a big piece of concrete on my foot. I think I need to find some new boots that I don't hate wearing.

The city called me yesterday and said no to starting the garage before I get the new joist layouts. But promised to get the BP issued "right away" once we get the layouts.

o

These windows are supposed to be centered on the wall. The exterior is done. I need them moved! See the middle hole in the ceiling? That is where my chandelier is supposed to go, to center on my dining table. It will be off-center with the windows. I can't breathe.

This post was edited by northpolehome on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 0:13

o

This is the exterior. Taken at an angle because there is a pond in between where I was taking this picture from and house , Said windows are the ones in the middle. Looks like all 3 sets might need to be moved. And that siding is seamless steel, which took 2 weeks to complete. Aaarrrgh!

o

northpolehome: it seems that they might be lined up (at least with each other) from the exterior, but the result of being off center from the interior would be so annoying. I wonder if it would be easier to move the lights, instead of moving the windows? Looks like you might could move just the 2 left and center lights to make it line up again.

Sorry you are having to deal with this!

o

Thanks yellowducky. Here is the plan. It should also read hardwood. Anyway, the problem I have with moving the lights is that my long dining table is just perfect size for the space, there is no room to move it to one side :/ It will not fit that way. And I would like the chandelier to center on the table, of course. Decorating-wise, my corner drapes would now have to move towards the middle more, and cover more of the left-hand window to make it look symmetrical. I really hate doing that because I paid for a big window only to have to cover it :/

o

North,

That is such a pain for you. What is your builder saying about fixing it? I would care much more about having the window centered on the inside than the outside. If it was our build and we had waited this long to point out the error, I would offer to pay some towards the fix, but expect the builder to take on the lion's share of the cost of the necessary fix (assuming your are not acting as your own GC in which case you would be financially responsible). Your house won't be the first or last house where the builder needs to re-build a wall after cladding. It happens and you need it done right to work with your furniture, so pay what you think is fair and get it fixed for sure.

Carol

o

Carol, thank you for your input. Nobody had pointed this out to us. We just noticed it now that we are planning on ordering window treatments. This is our first build, and clearly, we weren't expecting to be micro-managing each and every detail, especially because we are not the GC. We have a builder and I thought that is partly what we are paying them for - to oversee the job for us, and make sure that everything is built as per plan. Is it wrong to assume that? We go to the site on our own (we are discouraged by them to go there actually) and have noticed several mistakes along the way, like narrow hallway, wrong color window (that was still installed!), missing outlets etc, but with everything going on in there, we honestly don't get to check if everything is done properly, more so, measure each and every wall that is put up. Again, that is why we are building through a builder, and not acting as our own GC, because we just don't have the time and knowledge to do that.

We will just inform them tomorrow. We will see what they come back with. Again, thank you, appreciate your insight :)

o

north,

I certainly think a very strong case can be made for the builder fixing it 100% at their cost. You are quite right that you are paying big $ for a GC to catch these errors in time. I just figured they would try to make you think it wasn't a big deal, when it is and try to convince you to live with it. Whatever you do, don't let them make you think this mistake should just be lived with. I would rather pay a small portion of the cost than live with it.

Carol

o

So exciting to see all the pics. We passed our truss inspection, plumbing was fixed and is ready for reinspection, electrical is ready for inspection, and ac will be ready in the next few days.
Cannot wait for these to be done so we can have something else going on lol, kinda over plumbing/electrical/ac lol
Have been going crazy trying to pick light fixtures, ordering the kitchen etc.

Skyangel23 we are on the east coast :) 30min north of ft lauderdale.

o

Caught up with you guys after a weekend of football and no internet. Went to the beautiful new McLane stadium in Waco to see my son march in an alumni event. Left all our "to do's" back here at home for a bit- very healthy:)

northpole- Fight through this thing if you can afford to financially. It will bug you quite a bit unless you can let it go or have them make it right. Sometimes I think these framers don't have ths sense God gave a goose. Yes- just to make you laugh, I will show you a pic of what I am looking at right now... This came in on Friday, and the base is too big for the humongous built in shelf, so it sits on the floor for the time being. We have the mother of all articulating bracket arms somewhere in the house, which will be mounted on the unit wall by the carpenter et al. who had fits putting up a mirror the other day. Anyway, said all that to say this- note the location of the power plug on the wall. We are just hoping when the TV is up on the mount, it doesn't show. We told those guys a bazillion times how this was going to be set up, but there you have it :/ I feel your pain.

o

Wow! Not a lot of posts this weekend!

Musicgal - I am in LOVE with your new house. Sorry about the TV situation.

ourdreamhome - Congrats on passing inspections! You are in the part of the build that takes a lot of time but don't see a ton of progress. Hopefully it passes quickly for you!

gogiantsfan - Absolutely gorgeous! Your house is going to be fantastic!

So my update…. Tomorrow starts the final stretch! They are doubling up our paint crew so they can get the main floor and vaulted areas done in 10 days. Crossing fingers! They are installing my kitchen countertops tomorrow! WOO HOO! They will also start adding the plumbing and lighting fixtures in the basement and the 2nd floor this week. LOTS going on this week!!! Here is a pic of my craft room. We chose Revere Pewter for the main color in the entire house. We have decided to only change out the color in 3 rooms in the house. We have it in our budget to change out 3 colors per floor but decided that we really LOVE the Revere Pewter.

o

I was thrilled to finally see my trusses going up on Friday!

o

And then the storms came and it all came crashing down.....

o

Oh Jet! What an emotional roller coaster-

Robyn, thanks. Your progress is outstanding. You are going to have a big smile on your face on countertop day:-) Hope you are able to be around while they do them. That is such a big day in the process, physically and psychologically.
Amberm- Ouch! I found so many boo boos after the move, I thought we had been abducted by aliens while we slept, and knocked around in an unconscious state;-) But toes and feet have to be the WORST.
Mush- the ceiling is absolutely gorgeous! I would have to spend half a day admiring it if we had put something that pretty up. I am still toying with the idea of anaglypta for our bedroom tray, but your pic is very inspirational.

Carson- you are zooming along, you GCing girl!

A pic of the back porch. We assembled some outdoor furniture last night and set it out here. A hummingbird came up to investigate the color. The wood rail will come down when our back stairs go in.

o

Hello. I was going to try to respond to everybody whose posted lately and realized that I am way too far behind and my post would be the longest in GW history. So I will just say WOW, so many good pictures and I find it strange that I can be so picky with what goes in my house but I like everything that I see in yall's pictures. Especially love the tin ceiling, Mush. Ok, the cabinets have been stained. At first, I was thinking they were just ok but I decided yesterday that I love them. I think I've got multiple personalities lately. Anyway, here's a pic.

o

Ok, I'm back after a long weekend.

Jenniek,
It is BM Smoke Embers. A very pretty gray. I was trying really hard to find the perfect greige, but everything was just too beige or too brown, so finally I just gave in and did straight up gray. There are no green, purple, or blue undertones.

Autumn.4,
Thank you! I wanted a big island like it seems everyone has here, but we were working with a “semi-custom” builder and had to work with one of their floor plans. I think (hope) it will work out okay, because the peninsula is nice and big. I will post a few pics of the full outside when we get sod on Wednesday! We are, hopefully, almost nearly there. ;-)

Oicu, I feel you. Moving into this house in a few weeks will be our fourth house in 18 months. Moving is so stressful, especially when you do it multiple times. Hopefully we are where you are in a few weeks! Enjoy!

PeachNC, love the green walls and the covered ceiling. Beautiful!

Mushcreek, wow! That tin ceiling is amazing. I’m pretty sure now I’m missing out on something because my ceilings are so plain jane!

Goosie836, It is Formica in Cararra Bianco. Our builder wanted an arm and two legs for general blah granite, so we decided to just do laminate for now. In a few years, we’ll get what we really want, OR, maybe it’ll be so nice we’ll just keep it. :-)

JDez, lovely cabinets. I too am finding that things I wasn’t sure I liked (even things I was sure I disliked) are growing on me. I’m in the “oh, it’s not so bad” and “Hmm, I guess this looks pretty good” phase.

o

skyangel, I never in a million years would have guessed that is Formica! So pretty!

o

skyangel, I agree with goosie. I legit thought it was something more exotic- maybe quartz.

It's light-years ahead of what our laminate will look like. It's called "butter rum granite," ha. I would've preferred something that wasn't doing such a poor job of imitating something else, like a nice solid color that quietly said "LAMINATE AND PROUD" - but the others were all horrid and this was, as we affectionately call it, the "least offensive."

But if the only thing about my new house I don't like is the color of my counter-tops, I consider myself lucky :)

o

Skyangel, did you do an undermount sink with the laminate? I actually want laminate in the ensuite, but I also want an undermount sink. So if you have that, can you post a close up of how they wrapped the laminate around the sink opening?

We are having a blizzard today. :( It's supposed to be back up to the 70s by the end of the week. But we probably won't be backfilling tomorrow as planned. And I'm feeling guilty that BIL and his assistant may have been out in this weather taking down our temporary retaining wall.

o

DH's shop is finished. At least something is finished.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Pay no attention to the mud and weeds. We haven't worked on the driveway and yard yet.

o

Finally got our last building permit! At least something in our life is moving forward! Builder will be meeting with architect, soil engineer and backhoe operator later this week to come up with a plan of attack-lol. Wish we could be there for the official start, but due to selling our house that will have to wait for when it's really necessary for my husband to be there. We have two people who may be interested in our current home-what a roller coaster showing this house-ugh. Love seeing everyone's photos- so much progress seen!

o

Jet and Northpolehome - I don't have any great words of wisdom for you but I'm hoping for a good outcome for you both. Sorry you two are faced with discouragement. Pulling for ya.

o

This is what my site looks like right now. Not much getting done this week, I'd say.

o

Amberm:

Yikes! Sure no snow in our part of Canada. Hope it melts soon and you get an Alberta Chinook.

Carol

o

Amberm - That is crazy! It was 92 here today when I left work. Send some of that cool air down south.

o

Amberm:
Oh my goodness!!! I think it was 90 something here in Florida. Wow! I'll trade you some of that refreshing snow for some of my stifling humidity. :-)

We did not do an undermount sink. I don't care about them enough to spend the extra dough. BUT, what we did do was get a Blanco diamond sink that can be both topmount and undermount. So if/when we do switch out the laminate, we can keep the great sink.

Thank you, Ladybrowncoat. The nice thing about laminate is it's so easy to change later. So if you really don't like it, you won't feel guilty about switching it out. :-)

o

Wow Amberm - SNOW!!??

Yesterday was supposed to be a big day at my build but looks like the subs didn't get the message. The electrical guys were there and did install all of my recessed lights and bulbs in the basement and the 2nd story but the paint guys were supposed to have a double crew and only 2 guys instead of 8 showed up!! YIKES! We are supposed to be moving in on the 30th. I'm not sure if that is realistic now. The kitchen counters were supposed to be installed yesterday but they got stuck at another job instead. So, hopefully today will be a better day with a lot of people running around the build. It's been raining since yesterday so the concrete work is at a standstill. We have a large driveway and they have only been able to pour about 1/8th of what needs to be down. My landscaper won't even start until all the concrete is poured.

On a positive note. The garage doors were installed yesterday!

o

Trusses take 2!

Scary thing is they are calling for strong storms again tomorrow....

o

The trusses should be braced, and if it's done right, they shouldn't come down, even without the sheathing. When I put up my trusses, I braced as I went, so that by the time they were all up, the permanent bracing was as well. Years ago, a worker here was killed when the trusses collapsed because they didn't bother to brace them until after they were all up. It looks like there is some bracing in your pic, but it's hard to tell. Good luck!

o

Yes, I agree MushCreek bracing is important. In our first go around it was braced. The framer braced it, then when I seen what was on the radar I added even more. We had diagonals on top, 2x4 pieces in between each truss on both sides tying them together, long 2x4 through the middle tying them together, and braces down to the floor decking, walls, and even down to stakes on the ground. When the wind came it snapped all bracing like they were tooth picks..

o

Our stage has lighting! Kitchen counters are going in as I type. I'll post pics as soon as I run over there.

o

Looks good Jet. Hope the storm passes without incident tomorrow.

Robyn - Love the garage door and stage. Love the colors on your house.

o

Jdez, thank you very much for your words of encouragement! This is the update I have crossposted on the windows:

Our builder asked for a meeting today (which in our experience, has not been a good sign). At first he insisted that the house is built per plan, the plan we had agreed upon back in December. Since then of course, a lot has changed with those plans, including removal of the buffet that was originally on one side of the buffet, around May I believe. I insisted I have the July revision of the plan, pictured in my earlier post, that clearly states both sides to be equal. He said we did not request for this change with the windows, and it is the "computer" that automatically adjusted this when the buffet was removed. I said we did not mention anything about that anymore, because it was already drawn how we wanted it to be (so why do I need to tell the draftsperson to change it further?). Also on the same level of the house (main floor), there have been many other revisions that deviates from the original plan in December, and those have all been done as per the most recent floor plan (the one we did not sign, according to him). I told him this is what is in their software now (that customers can access) as "final plan," so how was I to know which changes the draftsperson did vs those that the "computer automatically generated" (and are therefore not going to be followed by the subcontractors). A lot more discussion went on. In the end, I am happy to report that they had agreed to change the dining room windows. That is really the biggest concern for us. We can live with the basement windows not being changed. I realize the midpoint for both sets of windows will not align when the dining room ones are changed, but no one will really see that from the back except for a few neighbors across the pond. And we did not insist on the master bedroom windows above either, as we would like to hopefully not make it any more difficult for the builder as it is now. We are not that kind of people.

Anyway, thank you again to all those who thought of us.

Jet08, I am hoping for a better outcome for you as well. Hang in there.

On a more positive note, we got to see our kitchen island countertop when we went to pick out the rest of the stone. Ignore jacket or whatever that is hanging there :)

o

Northpolehome - Glad the builder has agreed to fix the dining room window and make you happy. Regardless of whose fault it is, you are the one who will be living with it. Hope they don't take forever to get it done.

o

That sounds like a good compromise Northpole. Now that you explain further I had a similar problem. Our plans differed from the blueprints on some "cosmetic" issues that weren't so cosmetic after all. I thought my entry way roof would have an open beam and by the time they got it built it was too late as the trusses were never engineered for it. I guess I was supposed to know?.... Not sure, I am way over it by this point but I get your frustration and am glad you got some resolve. My resolve was not paying the upcharges to use different accent siding where I thought it would be beams. Love the counters!!! I can't wait to slab shop, we went awhile back to get ideas but finding the one we will actually have will be thrilling I am sure.

o

JDez and Mfatt16, I really appreciate your encouragement on this. Thank you!

o

Congratulations, northpole. Nice island, too. I believe that "jacket" is a pad placed there to keep the cart from scratching the top. You'll be very happy it's there.

As for me, it won't stop snowing!!! On Monday, the forecast was calling for warming up all week, and summer temps by the weekend again. Yesterday, we were going to get another 6"overnight, but it would stop by this morning. We got at least another 8" overnight, and it's still coming down. The forecast is now saying summer temps by next week. I'm starting to think they just say that so people won't slit their wrists. Nothing is happening at my build site until the summer temps come back because it's too wet to back fill.

Jet, I hope your storms aren't so bad this time.

o

northpole- gorgeous island! Glad you won out on the windows. Watch 'em like a hawk:-)

Robyn- I am excited about your stage.

Silver Fox has a very good day...

This post was edited by musicgal on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 12:43

o

Well we finally got our plot plan today after many weeks of fighting with the surveying company that did our plot plan before for our bridge.

We close on our loan Friday at 1:00 and our builder said he can get they surveyor to stake it out and hopefully start excavating next week. But can't do anything more than dig a hole until he gets permits. As hard as it's been to get things done up to this point, I hope the permits don't take long. He said in his county where he normally builds it takes 7-10 days, but our house will be in another county and not in city limits. Please pray for us that this doesn't take long.

o

I just stopped in to say...

we've finally shown up on an aerial shot!!!

Lot's of new "faces" and gorgeous homes.

Congrats to all, whatever stage you are in. We'll have been in 6 months next weekend. While I feel like we've been there forever, there are still so many things to do. I go through spurts. Lots done at the beginning, lots more still.

I'll post a few more pics :)

o

part of my front porch view.
Don't mind the weeds... we're working on grass, ha!!
And the soybeans are starting to turn, hopefully that means early harvest. :)

o

loribug- yay! I long for the day when Google Earth recognizes our work in progress:)

o

Well, Not GOOOOGLE yet, but our county mapping system at least. :) I suppose that makes it official enough! lol

o

Howdy. I've been MIA around here. I'm so discouraged about my siding/brick issue :( Still trying to figure out the best way to fix it.

This is definitely one BIG disadvantage to being an owner/builder. When something goes awry, it's up to me to fix it. However, I do know that the money I'm saving will be enough to pay the bill for the asylum once I'm committed... Just sayin' ;)

o

Hi all, I love all the photos.

We're plugging along....excavator is digging up stumps now and will scrape off topsoil in the next couple of days. Then he'll dig the basement.

I'm feeling discouraged as we've had two big adders over the past few weeks. After talks with excavator, hubs decided that we needed a lot more fill to bring house up to a level that will make it look right. So that's estimated at $10k. Then we decided to do closed cell insulation, which is about $8k more but then code won't allow that type of insulation without drywall so we have to bring basement to drywall stage (we weren't going to finish it yet). There's another $20k. Ouch. Both choices for sure, but hard to swallow all the same.

Anyway, here's our stump removal pic! Exciting to see someone working!

o

Hi All,

Been MIA due to the last two weeks spent trying to finalize all my interior choices. Cabinetry has been signed off and is started, tile choices made, most counters chosen, trim work chosen etc, etc, etc! Think all I have left is to finalize the paint colors.

House is coming along....all insulation is done and they have started drywall. Builder thinks that we should be able to paint by the end of the month. Exterior is done except for the front porch...looked like they were prepping to pour my front stairs so hopefully it will be done soon!

The picture eye candy has been great...so much that I would have write a book to comment on it all.
Northpole...glad your window issue is being taken care of.
Carson...the only thing I can think of is whether flipping your brick so the short end is out to take advantage of the brick length to fill in the gap.
Jet...that is crazy that your trusses flew down as if they were Popsicle sticks. Hopefully the second time goes more smoothly.

Here is my eye candy...this is the slab the I had to take 4" off my island to make work! It is a quartzite called Iceberg that will go on my Walnut Island and bar area and then I will have Soapstone on my white perimeter cabinets.

o

Amberm145, thank you for the well wishes. I am hoping for better temperatures for you too. We all know how it feels to have days go by without any developments happening.

Musicgal - thanks! I would watch them like a hawk, except that I am out of town now :/. Hoping they will re-build everything properly.

Carsonheim, I am so sorry my friend. Still hoping the solution will come to you as soon as possible.

Happyvallehome - welcome back. Love the slab!

o

Down and out with a nasty virus. What a waste of a gorgeous weekend. Grrrr. I did manage to get the door stained in between couch breaks but it was rough. Finally feeling like myself. Thanks 'back to school' for always giving the gift of germs.

loribug-waving hello!!! :) Glad you stopped back - love the porch.

mush-that ceiling is awesome. It really looks great. Was it a difficult install?

jet-oh man. Devastating sight! If that's not the worst vision to pull up to. Did this next storm pass you by and they are still standing? Did they manage to get the sheeting on?

amber-oh man girl. Nuh uh. No snow. No snow! I am not sure this helps or even that they are good pics? At work our kitchen sink is undermount with laminate. Again - work sink and nope it's not clean and nope I didn't bother to clean it before I took pics! I just tried to get the edges? If you want a different view let me know and I can snap more.

photo photo143_zps205c4278.jpg

photo photo246_zps5873914e.jpg

northpole-I have been holding my breath in silence wondering how on earth you could make that 'balance' without a window move. We basically have the same layout in our dining room. Large window - evenly spaced with chandelier also in the middle of that window. That would have driven me BONKERS. I am so so glad they are willing to fix it. Phew! And I totally get not catching everything - I am so guilty of "well they must not be finished cuz no one would ever think that is right. Uh oh, I guess they either don't see it like I do or they don't really care because now it's done and WHAT??? Gah!." Thankfully I did speak up about the ceiling fan placement at the last minute and DH actually moved it - drywall hung the next day. It would have been right above your head sitting in the living room instead of in the middle of the room. Okayyyy, not. Love your slab! Very pretty! Quiet and still very interesting. :)

carson-yes, I do believe that is a great statement - "saved enough money to afford the asylum when you are finished". Buahahahaha. I do think your house is going to be great and most likely it will look like something you did on purpose to everyone but YOU. But that said I know how that is.

michelle-yeah. Going over on dirt of all things, HATE that but we had the same thing at about the same number. Grrr! But as you said in the end it's what would make sense and you can't change it later.

music-has the silver fox pulled himself away from the big screen yet???

happyvalley-looks good! All these pretty more quiet stones. So many too choose from, I can't go second guessing mine now...or can I? ;)

Update besides door staining - barn windows and partially tyvek'd:
 photo photo144_zps7f4d7ea7.jpg

photo photo247_zps435795de.jpg

And I did receive a sample of the backsplash tile we liked in herringbone for maybe behind the stove. I like it more than I thought but still wondering if it's too 'fancy' for my more casual space? I really like hex but they don't make it in this one. 2x4's broken joint everywhere else. I like the texture as it reminds me of the fireplace stone that is on the opposite wall:
 photo photo333_zps43f2f1d0.jpg

o

skyangel-oh yes - I am a former member of the peninsula club and honestly I kinda miss it - I spent all my time there and a quick pivot and there was my view and my sink (the rest of the kitchen was a disaster however but the peninsula - *love*). Embrace the peninsula - sometimes they don't just 'work' they work BETTER. I'd rather have a peninsula any day than an ill placed island. :D

peach-we skipped cathedral and didn't have enough time/ingenuity to tackle the coffered so ours is plain old 9'. We haven't missed the cathedral at all but I really like coffered though - I don't think you'll be sorry. It looks great!

o

I just posted a post with a bunch of pictures of my kitchen with new countertops installed. I love them!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen with new countertops!

This post was edited by robynstamps on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 22:51

o

Robyn...omg those counters are fabulous!

o

Loribug - Heyyyy! So good to "see" you. Your view from the porch is beautiful. I hope you are enjoying the new house.

Michelle - We finally have a progress picture....woohoo! We went over on dirt too.

Happyvalley - Beautiful slab. I hope you get a break after making all those selections.

Renee - Congrats on closing. I hope you don't have to wait very long.

Musicgal - That silver fox looks all too happy. Does he pet it every night before bed? My DH would if he had a TV that big...lol.

MFatt - It is never too early to shop countertops. Get out there and face the music...haha.

Autumn.4 - That barn looks as good as a house. Bet the boys love having it. Is that where the tractor will live?

Robyn - Your kitchen is amazing! The views don't hurt it any either.

Amberm - Hope the weather will improve. Hate to see you having to wait after all the waiting you've done up til now.

Have a great day.

o

robyn-wow and definitely eeeek! They look great and all that natural light and those views. I think I'd just stay in the kitchen all day! Congrats!

jdez-mmmhmm, the tractor and bikes and the SNOW BLOWER, weed I mean lawn mower, tools, the cat that ds #2 wants to get, etc etc. It will be nice and it will keep the garage clear for just our vehicles.

o

Thanks everyone!! I also wanted to share my laundry room so far. I went with engineered quartz that looks like a Carrera marble but also has a gray tint. I cannot wait for that room to be painted Revere Pewter!

Left view with the sink and drawers that all have a laundry basket in them.

o

Here is the view I will look out to while I am washing and folding clothes. Both sets of washers and dryers will be under this countertop. We are waiting for the middle support to arrive.

o

Here's a pic of the right side. The farthest right area is my sewing station. It was just wasted space before so I had my cabinet maker do something I could actually use.

o

Robyn, your house is so beautiful. I'm sure you're very excited to move in.

Autumn, thanks for those pics. It looks like the sink is actually installed on top of whatever's under the laminate (MDF?) and just the laminate goes over top. Interesting. I thought it would have to go under the MDF, and the laminate would have to wrap around. I have actually bought an undermount sink for the bathroom. $40 at Habitat, never used, it even came with the mounting instructions and hole template. But it might be hard to install the way your office sink is. Would you believe almost nobody here owns a snowblower? Generally, we don't get enough snow. And when we do, it's light and dry, and can be cleared up with a broom. And then we get a chinook which melts it all. Last year was brutal for the amount of heavy, wet snow we got. I'm not sure if it ever managed to disappear until spring.

At the end of the day our snow delay is probably not going to affect anything. We finally got our new joist layout yesterday. I sent it to the architect to review before sending to the city. Apparently he just sent it on to the city without reviewing it. Gee, thanks. I could have done that a day earlier. But, the city has it now, so we might have our full permit next week? Then we can just go with no more delays.

The snow over the last few days has done some destruction to the city. None of the trees had started losing their leaves yet (very few had even started to change colour.) So the snow piled up on them more than it would in the dead of winter. A lot of them have snapped under the weight. It looks a lot like the ice storms they get out east, where trees seem to take a beating at least every couple of years. I have a maple tree (which is not native to this area, and had to be planted strategically) that lost a few feet off the top. And some of my columnars look like bananas. I was out shaking the snow off them yesterday. One of my little lilac bushes has a broken branch, but I think it'll be fine. There are no trees on the lot yet. There is an old lilac bush there that I kind of hope got crushed. It was too tall, and only got flowers on the very top because the bottom never gets sun. I never got around to pruning it in the spring. So maybe mother nature did it for me? :)

o

We have a basement, we have a basement, we finally, finally, finally have a basement! After 10 years of dreaming and saving,a year of planning,5 months of being on our contractor's waiting list, and a 10 day rain delay, we finally have footings and basement walls! Let the fun begin!

o

happyvalley home, that iceberg quartzite is beautiful!!!

Autumn.4, you must’ve had direct access to my brain when you wrote: “And I totally get not catching everything - I am so guilty of "well they must not be finished cuz no one would ever think that is right. Uh oh, I guess they either don't see it like I do or they don't really care because now it's done and WHAT??? Gah!."

Because that has happened to me several times. It makes me nuts. How can anyone think this looks good??? And they actually make money doing this for a living????
WHAT???? Like right now, the vanity lights are so off-centered over the bathroom sink even my eight-year-old pointed it out right away. And now it’s up to me again to keep hounding them to fix it.

Thanks, for the peninsula love comment. I’m so hoping that when I finally get in the house, I’ll realize I overthought a lot of things and “hey, this isn’t so bad, it’s actually just fine.”

Robyn, LOVE your countertops. Tell me, how tough is that stone? Will you have to baby it?

We should have sod today. Final bank inspection scheduled for next Wednesday, however final paint, clean, and A/C have to happen and for those things we need permanent electric, which is taking its sweet time.... We can close 72 hours after the final inspection comes back.

It is close now, but unfortunately our locked in rate expires next Thursday, so our lender is saying we have to pay to extend it. Ugh. We are paying so much extra money due to the builder taking nearly three extra months to finish! Our first close date was July 1st. HA HA HA.

o

Skyangel- Thank you! It's a true quartzite tried and tested. Tougher than granite. Even my fabricator said it was tough. It passed all the tests. I shouldn't have to many it at all. Thank goodness!!

o

Autumn - Weed mower? Haha. No grass yet?

Robyn - I love your laundry room. Soooo pretty.

Amberm - Fingers crossed for your permit! Hope the maple is ok.

Dininbaby - Congrats. You are required to post pictures, in case you didn't know. Just kidding but we all love pictures.

Sky - I am so jealous that you have sod. I'm in the same boat as Autumn. Nothing but weeds.

Ok. We've had a few things going on lately. Here's a few pics of the screened in porch. We still have to put the door on it and cut a hole for the doggy door. First time using the pano pic button so it might look a little "off".

Stained the porch columns today. Two coats.

About finished with the - Where we take our shoes off bench. A little out of focus. Sorry.

Had counters installed in the bathrooms. Couldn't get a good pic of the guest bath and the shower bench in the Master but all bathroom counters are the same.

And at the end of the day, the electrician showed up with a baby track hoe and started digging. And.....busted the sewer pipe. Always something...lol. Back at it tomorrow. 80% chance of rain but I'm sure I can find something to do.

o

jdez-I guess you have been a little busy! Finally some eye candy and Wow! Very cool porch. I bet it will get a lot of use. Your work site looks so tidy. Maybe because it's YOU doing most of the progress work? Electrician seems to be doing some work but making more work in the process. Argh! Entry bench is great-good call on the vertical storage. I think it might be tight for winter parkas and snow pants though (low of 40 this morning). ;) Columns look great with the siding. The color looks similar to what we put on the front door. Bet you are ready to soak in that tub. Checking things off the list, go-go-go!

amber-so has it stopped with the white stuff or??? Don't send it south - I'm not ready! The boys winter coats showed up via UPS just yesterday.

o

JDez- making good progress. Two steps forward, one step back it seems- doesn't it? But, still forward:-)

Yesterday afternoon, the gate bell rang and the city inspector handed me our official CO. We have a kerfluffle about the pool- it works just fine but the pool inspectors need to look under the hood, so to speak- which will necessitate tearing stuff up. Oh joy:/ GC is blaming the pool guy who installs pools all over the country just fine. I blame the GC, who should have smelled trouble
but repeatedly told us everything was fine from afar. All of that could have been checked up to a few weeks ago when the coping and equipment went in. Oh well, it beats some of the teardown stories I've seen here.

I am working on glass and mirrors right now. My pocket office gets 1/2 inch glass which I am finding to be fairly reasonable in the bids. Really want to set my desktop and printer up again SOON! But, I do like the lack of clutter in the space right now.

One of the glass tops goes on the breakfast nook tabletop which is walnut- I broke out the sewing machine and made some temporary cushions for the space, which I think turned out okay.

This post was edited by musicgal on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 8:35

o

Yes, the snow stopped on Wednesday, and it's been melting quickly. I was planning to have the excavators come back on Monday, to give it time to dry up. But I stopped by yesterday, and the hole is starting to cave in, we've got some of our neighbors yard in our hole. :( So, emergency backfilling today.

We also got the house permit!! I'm picking that up today. There's now a problem with the garage permit. They want the slab engineered, but nobody thought to ask for that before? Even when I asked if we could start the garage, and they said no due to procedure, but otherwise, everything was fine?

And yes, dindinbaby, need pics! I think this is the most exciting time. And it's amazing how quickly you go from dirt to stuff that shows signs of a house. :)

o

Musicgal - Great job on the cushions! They look nice.

Amber - Yay on the house permit.....Boo on the garage permit. More craziness for you. Hang in there.

Heavy rains coming in from the Gulf today. So very depressing.

o

Sorry about that rain JDez... and that snow, Amberm. I think we have some water infiltration in spots, so precip is not good for us either. Still eating that elephant one bite at a time.

Slow today on posting. We took the day to run back down to our storage unit and pick up the few things I wanted for the new house. The rest goes to charity, and we shut down the unit on Tuesday. O happy day!

Autumn, hope you are enjoying your rug. We got our "behind the sofa rug" today at a place in Houston that has an outrageous number of Middle Eastern and Indian rugs. Received quite an education on our new responsibilities as rug parents... tee, hee. We also had sconces installed in the dining room. No progress on the tray ceiling yet but here are some pics of the past two days' progress.

o

That teakroot chair above has a fraternal twin that hasn't quite made it home yet. Those chairs are for little swimsuited damp behinds- waterproof they say.
Here are the sconces in the dining room.

This post was edited by musicgal on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 18:36

o

Rain stopped and it was a little cooler today. It made DS's football game much more enjoyable to watch. I can't sleep and I keep waiting for updates on the build thread. They are few and far between. Musicgal, your new decor is lovely and goes perfect with your house. Hmmm... Guess I'll have to watch TV.

o

musicgal-huh. I have been toying with that space here - the sort of necessary no mans land between the island and the back of the couch. I kind of thought it was begging for a rug but decided I need to live with what I have for now and see once as time goes by. I like yours (although your space looks a little larger than mine so maybe I'd just need a smaller rug) - and very good they gave you the 101 on your new baby's care. Hehehe. As for our rug in FRONT of the furniture - yes most definitely. My youngest is a floor creature and he was all over it. Lego's all over it already. It's very soft and comfortable. Two thumbs up for that! I'll try to get a pic. I don't even have it adjusted on the pad yet - it needs to be trimmed an inch or so I think (the pad not the rug).

jdez-rain stopped yesterday here too - must have been super widespread! Today is cool but decent - a nice fall day. Oh man I just saw the time stamp on your message - I hope you got some SLEEP! I was in bed by 9:30. LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here