Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stumpydarby

Floor plan review � new plans

stumpydarby
9 years ago

Awhile back I posted plans for a house. Well, we ditched that house and started over. Here is what we have so far. (There are few things we know we want to change but would love thoughts/opinions)
Thanks!

Comments (4)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

- Hate the garage sticking out in front.

- What is that walk-in closet type room to the right of the front door?

- I don't like the layout in the master bedroom. The little hallway is wasted space and the 90 degree turn will prevent you from bringing in large furniture. The master bath is large for the few items it contains -- lots of wasted space and no storage.

- I like the great room - kitchen - dining arrangement, though the dining seems a bit small. No fire place?

- Secondary bedrooms and baths look completely average, which is fine. My one concern: Another small hallway that may prevent furniture from moving into the two bedrooms.

- I hate the utility room. So much wasted floor space, yet the washer/dryer are pushed to the far end -- far from the folding area. Separating the machines and the sink is an expensive choice (necessitates water and extra-depth in two walls).

• stumpydarby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

The garage sticking out is just a fact of life. I know not everybody likes it . . . but I would actually like a front and backyard and this design allows for that.

The walk in closet type room by the front door is a storage closet. You can never have enough storage!

The master hallway is rather large -- shouldn't be too bad for bringing things in. (much better than what we have now!)

The master bath has a huge run of cabinets --- most likely a "tower" cab in between the sinks that will be a linen closet. So, there will be tons of storage from the vanities.

No fireplace -- we are in Florida. It just wouldn't get used.

We might consider taking a little of the utility room to enlarge that hallway leading to the two bedrooms. (We need space in the utility room because I hang dry the majority of my clothes . . . so it isn't wasted space at all!)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I don't think you're going to find anyone who's going to say, "Garage sticking out in front -- YES! Just what we want."

Ah, a closet. Given that it has a window, I was trying to make it into a tiny office space.

Knowing now that this is a closet, I'd say make the master bath a little more narrow -- eliminating some of that unnecessary floor space between the sinks and the shower -- and allow the closet to be a little larger. As you say, more storage is always good, and you'll never miss it in the bathroom.

Still on the bathroom: I still vote for a linen closet; it gives more storage for a lower price than linen towers, and it'll keep your dirty clothes hamper hidden.

It's not the width of the master hallway that'll be the problem -- it's the turn. We bought a king mattress recently, and even bringing it down a straight hallway and turning it into the bedroom was tricky. The movers had to open my daughter's bedroom door and maneuver it back and forth a bit to get in the door. And a mattress has some "give". If you have a double or triple dresser, it'll never get into the room. One possible fix -- now that I know you're in Florida -- is that you might ditch the large windows in the bedroom and instead go with glass doors. In addition to being in keeping with Florida houses, you'll be able to move furniture in through the back very easily.

Thing about the utility room space is that it's not laid out in a user-friendly layout. All that space is in front of the washer/dryer -- you can't hang things in that space because you need it for walking. And the washer/dryer are too far from the folding area.

• stumpydarby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

French doors are going to be added to the master bedroom. (That was one change that was left off the plan. As well as some more windows in the master)
    Hopefully getting things in shouldn't be a problem. (Thank goodness!)

The master bathroom layout is still up for debate. We just wanted a large space and we could move things around. We are meeting with a kitchen designer and she that could trump these plans. (We have played around with separate vanities and whatnot) We shall see.

The utility doesn't bother me but maybe that is because I have been doing laundry in a garage without a folding area or a sink or anything. ;)