Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cascadian76

Windows in showers

cascadian76
12 years ago

I think I know the answer to this question, but here goes. Would it be a terrible idea to have a window in the shower?

We want some natural light in the "other" bathrooms (the master has plenty without raising this issue), and possibly some natural ventilation sometimes, but the only exterior walls are where the bathtub/showers are. So the question arises, what kind of windows can we put in there?

It's possible to have picture windows *above* the showers, of course, but we'd prefer to have them line up with the other windows from the outside, so hanging them from 6'8" would be preferable. And if the window is 12"-18" tall, the sill would be 5'2" to 5'8", which would be inside the shower.

So, can we do this without asking for water damage? How?

And will this be much more expensive, by preventing us from using prefabricated shower surrounds?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (15)

• ash6181
    12 years ago

I can't answer your technical questions about "how", but I know it is possible. I think there may be special windows made/used for this application to address the water issue. I know that glass blocks are also used for this purpose, and they give you more privacy.

We have a window in our shower now. I really don't like it for a few reasons. One, when the sun is shining at the right angle you have to squint while you try to shower. When it is cold outside, you can feel the coolness from the window (this is an older house with an older window, so it may not be as much of an issue in a new build). You also have to consider if your neighbors will be able to see you in the shower. Frosted glass may help some of these issues.

Will you be using a glass door or a shower curtain? If you use a curtain and keep it closed, that's going to block a fair amount of your light. You may be aware of these issues, but I thought I'd mention them in case you're not. To me, the window is more of a PITA than an asset.

I have seen the use of narrow windows above the top of the shower, and that might address some of the issues I've mentioned. Is it possible to use a skylight or a solar tube? That would give you natural light without the issues of a window.

As far as cost, I would imagine that it would be quite a bit more than using a prefab shower stall. You'll have the cost of a tub, plus waterproofing and tile, labor to install the tile, and the cost of the window.

• worthy
    12 years ago

As mentioned above, your two most usual choices are clerestory windows and glass block. I have also seen aluminum exterior windows used successfully, if not particularly aesthetically, in showers.

If using glass in the shower keep in mind the IRC requirement that the glazing must be tempered glass or approved equal when the bottom edge of glazing is less than 60"above any standing or walking surface.

I once lived in a sixth storey Queens, NYC apartment with a double hung window in the shower giving me an unobstructed view of Manhattan. Until a new condo crept up two feet away giving me a view of a brick wall. At that point, the landlord filled in the window and my morning ablutions became duller.

Here is a link that might be useful: NKBA Remodeling

• lolab
    12 years ago

I'm in the middle of a build right now that has a window in the bathtub/shower combo. The tub spans the width of the 5' bathroom and it's the only exterior wall, so it was a tub window or no window. I thought of using a solar tube, but without a window, I thought the room would be too cave-like.

Don't know that anything extraordinary is planned to keep it watertight, although I know the sill will be tiled.

Keep in mind that, at least here on Long Island, we were required to put tempered glass in that window, which was an upcharge.

• User
    12 years ago

Sure, it can be done, but you're asking for big headaches and big expenses. And unless you yourself become an expert on windows in a shower, you're also asking for it to be done poorly, with probably water damage issues down the road.

• chisue
    12 years ago

I wouldn't do it. Solar tube or skylight?

• cascadian76
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, solar tube/skylight wouldn't work in these bathrooms, and although glass blocks could, I really don't like the way they look.

The good news is that the sill would be high enough not to worry about needing tempered glass...which is a concern that I didn't think I had to worry about.

Thank you all for ratifying my concerns, it's good to know even if it's not what I was _hoping_ to hear.

If anyone can think of an easy, cheap, attractive, and reliable solution, feel free to jump in!

• ash6181
    12 years ago

Is there any hope of rearranging the bathroom layouts? Maybe you could post the layout and see if anyone has ideas.

• User
    12 years ago

If the window is all vinyl or cellular PVC, etc. and the interior side, head and stool trim is tile, stone, cellular PVC, etc. there should be no problem if you replace the silicone sealant at the joints every few years. I suggest sloping the stool or cutting grooves in it. No water should stand anywhere after the shower is turned off.

Obviously the higher the widow stool and the farther it is from the shower head the better. The fact that people will use the window stool for soap and shampoo is a maintenance issue too.

IMHO unless the ceiling height is very low, there is no compelling reason to hold the head of windows at 80" off the floor. That is a common interior door standard that should have nothing to do with window or exterior door head heights. The important issue is that the higher a window (or a transom) is in a room the deeper natural light will penetrate into the room. So, IMHO a window head opening should never be below 7 ft AFF and if the ceiling is a foot higher, the window should be raised a foot.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

This is my favorite image of a window in a shower from an aesthetic purpose (pretty window/pretty bathroom) but after looking at it again it sure seems impratical, particularly since it is apparently on the first floor. This was taken for a blog feature so I presume there is some privacy measure in place! It also seems like it would get filthy that close to the shower head. . . Looks good though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Window in shower

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

If you look closely, the window is cased in a decorative tile - I presume the rest is vinyl? I would worry about the glass getting dirty looking though.

• cascadian76
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Rennovator8. What do you think of GreenDesign's concern that even if it can be done well, there's a too-high chance that it would be done poorly. Is this something I can trust the builder with, or will I need to become the micromanager?

• User
    12 years ago

I have always drawn and specified what I wanted a builder to do so it's difficult for me to imagine any another way of communicating with a builder. I can assure you that no one will remember the important parts of an oral communication the same as you do even a day later.

You could start with the design I described and edit it for your circumstances, get the builder's input and then edit it again and issue it as a "field directive" or a change order, or an addendum, or include it as part of the original contract documents if they haven't been issued yet.

• swesna
    12 years ago

When I bought my house they had 3ft by 3ft window in the shower/tub area. When I updated the bathroom I replaced that window with a 2ft by 3ft Marvin Integrity Fiberglass window. It is an awning window...it is great having the window in the bathroom. If I am standing on my toes I can see out of the window...but it give me a lot of natural light in the bathroom plus a nice view of trees when I look out.

Steve

• juniork
    12 years ago

Well, don't know how it'll be in the long run, but here you go... My plan is to have that handheld aimed away from the window. My windows are Milgard Ultra fiberglass windows, so I'm not too worried about the water. I have a friend who has a Marvin WOOD window in her shower, but it's at the far end of a 5-6 ft wide shower, and she has not had any problems in the 2-3 years that she's been there.