Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

kitchen cabinets with a 10 ft ceiling

abekker
9 years ago

Hi,
I like when the cabinets meet the ceiling, but going up to 10 ft ia way too much. Originally I wanted the cabinets going up to 8 ft, my architect suggested building a box (soffit) above cabinets to 9 ft and another soffit above the island area to 10 ft. What are my options? I am afraid the box above the cabinets won't look good.

Comments (7)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

$tacked cabinet$. Or reduce the ceiling height to something actually usable.

• redheadeddaughter
    9 years ago

I think this is really a preference and design thing. Also budget. Stacked cabinets are so lovely and provide for a great deal of storage if you have a handy ladder nearby. I personally love the look of high ceilings and cupboards that are relatively low (but easy to reach). It looks more old - fashioned and I've come to love the clean look. It's also much more affordable than stacked cabinets. The box soffit option is chosen by many builders, but we specifically requested no box soffits for the entire home. I have friends who prefer soffits to an area that needs to be dusted though. I may have opted for stacked cabinets if I didn't have a handy dandy walk in pantry nearby planned for extra storage. Houzz has some great kitchens of all types.

Here are some of my favorite designs... via the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: devol bespoke kitchens

• ourdreamhome7333
    9 years ago

Abekker, I had the same dilemma. my ceilings in the kitchen are 12'8', and I love the look of cabinets going up to the ceiling, I chose to go with 42' uppers, then my dream rolling library ladder , and 24' cabinets on the top. I will have a soffit built in the remaining space.
    I did look thru lots of pics on pinterest and houzz to help me decide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest

• musicgal
    9 years ago

abekker- here is a pic of our finished kitchen. 10 foot ceiling with cabinets all the way up. I need a stepladder to get up there, but there's a fondue pot and other assorted, seldom used items that live up there, and don't clutter my everyday cupboards. So far, so good:) No dustcatchers.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

We also took our cabs to our 10' ceiling. We have a stepladder hanging in the pantry for access to the top cabinets. I have my Christmas China, chafing dishes, and other seldom used items up there. It's nice to have space for them and not have to go in the attic. Here's one side.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

And musicgal, I love the glass in yours....hope you're settling in!

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the look of stacked cabinets but it adds a lot of extra costs. I decided I will do 42'' cabinets with a stacked molding and a tray ceiling with a soffit and lighting. Hard to explain, but should look good.