Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apolonia3

The Broadleaf by Don Gardner

Apolonia3
11 years ago

Hello GW'ers,

Has anyone either built The Broadleaf by Donald Gardner or perhaps seen it built somewhere in your area? I have Googled it and cannot find anything but the plan.

We would have to make some changes to the floor plan. This is where GW experts would come in!

We love the exterior rendering, just hoping it looks as nice in person.

Many thanks!

http://www.dongardner.com/plan_details.aspx?pid=4345

Comments (9)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

My biggest objection is that the lovely, large window to the right of the front door is IN THE BATHROOM! Right over the bathtub!

And why all the pretty upstairs dormers if there's no upstairs? Or did I miss something on the plan?

• Apolonia3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chibimimi, thank you for your comments. Yes that is a crazy place for a bathroom. (I've seen many Gardner and Betz homes with a bathroom at the front). One of the changes we are hoping to make is to have a study there instead, extending the length of the house on that side. I'm hoping experts such as Summerfield will give their opinions, as we are just guessing this can be done when there's a walk-out basement to consider.

You are correct there is no upstairs. I have seen a lot of one storey homes with fake dormers and I don't really mind them, adds a bit of interest. However I would like to know how people plant and water a window box that is so high up when there are no stairs! That's why I'm still hoping someone has built this house, so we can see how it really looks.
    We just love the look of this house, it just needs a few major changes. Thanks again for your comments, we do appreciate them.

• Apolonia3
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The dormers clutter up a design that already has too many grand eclectic architectural features and romantic add-ons clamoring for attention and preventing a design theme from emerging. The solution is to remove the unnecessary stuff which is not an easy task.

I would start by removing the color and then diagraming the basic structure of the house on tracing paper and then adding some elements with care. Remember that stone and wood construction have different rules that should be respected and be careful where they overlap especially their eaves.

Apolonia3 thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

Remove non essential roof decoration and pay attention to obvious eave conflicts and inappropriate cornice returns on stone structures.

Like so many internet designs this house has so many features it seems compressed. Stretching it 15 ft horizontally would resolve most of its deficiencies.

You might want to draw the driveway wide enough for a car and put a car in it to understand how dominating the forecourt will really be.

Apolonia3 thanked User
  • Apolonia3
    Original Author
    7 years ago

JDS, thank you for your comments. My original post was in 2012 and our plans have changed since then. However, I have to say I still love all the detail on this house.

• davenixon
    7 years ago

Notwithstanding any of the previous comments we built our home based on the Broadleaf exterior almost exactly as depicted by DG with all the details in his renderings and the result is a home which universally elicits only the highest praise. Erected in the right setting and on the appropriate lot the Broadleaf is an extremely handsome home in all its glorious detail.

• Apolonia3
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Davenixon, I would love to see a picture of your home as it's so hard to trust renderings. I'm sure it's lovely.