Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this design realistic?

Posted by kassikolo (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 17:50

So after not liking what my architect has given to me (because i didnt know what i want:)) i decided to draw something myself and i really like the flow of this house. There are no measurements, but it will be about 2400sq.ft. that we need to stay within. my question is is this design pretty realistic to build? Any suggestions?
Note: there will columns separating dining room (no walls) and lodge room will have vaulted ceilings with lots of windows.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this design realistic?

It's completely meaningless without measurements. Measurements are the meat and potatoes of layouts. But in general, the most desirable areas are the corners where you can have light from two directions. And you have yours occupied with bathrooms, closets, and a garage.

o

Why don't you go back to your architect (who is experienced with these challenges) and have him work with your sketch?

Keep in mind that your sketch is wildly out of scale (your master bedroom is almost as large as your "lodge" room plus your kitchen, for example, and larger than your garage which is unlikely and unnecessary), so there will have to be numerous changes.

You can certainly get all of the functional spaces you have identified in 2,400 SF of occupied area (the garage may be additional area). Good luck!

o

You may want to check out house plans by John Tee. Alot of his plans have layouts similar to what you've posted above. Definitely look at all the plans (not just the single story ones or ones only in your square footage range) as many of the 2 story plans have a similar 1st floor setup to what you've drawn with extra rooms that can be turned into bedrooms/office. The larger 1 story plans can often be scaled down to meet your square footage needs.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: John Tee's House Plan Site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here