Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianamc75_gw

Front door transom options?

dianamc75
10 years ago

Which transom for loosely prairie "inspired" home (this is a massive renovation and expansion)?

I think I like the look of the solid transom, but then the other windows in the house (Loewen) have a break (the windows on the right belong to the garage.

Computer "rendering" of the house is below.

Door Style 1

Door Style 2

Comments (14)

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

I prefer the second one.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

I prefer the first. I think it gives a more "horizontal" effect. Breaking the middle window in half makes each half look like a vertical extension of the door beneath it...which gives you four strong vertical lines. Prairie-style is all about the long low slung look. You need strong horizontals.

Another alternative might be to break the center window up even more creating the appearance of SIX equally sized transom windows in a strong vertical band. Like this:

• dianamc75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your opinion! THe smaller transoms were given to us as an option, but I wasn't crazy about it and there was an added cost to an already $ door!

The custom door maker (I am sure there is a proper name) and I like the solid transom.

The designer and my husband like the split transom.

You don't think it matters that there are small windows on the garage?

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

I think the doors themselves are throwing things off. They're too complex, and the side lights and transoms are too simple in contrast to form a cohesive unit. Since costs are a concern, perhaps simpify the door, and barely make the additional panels more complex? Perhaps a single central panel for the doors with the more decorative glass and caming just to the exterior to frame that central simple panel? And do the same with the transoms and side lights. Two simple panels, with a bit of caming and leaded glass to frame the central panel? Or are you planning on something custom in a stained glass?

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

I was actually suggesting the row of six smaller transom windows BECAUSE of the small garage windows. Was thinking that multiple small transoms would reflect and extend the small garage windows creating a strong horizontal band near the top of the house which would be very "prairie style."

As for the doors themselves, perhaps I was misinterpreting the drawings. I thought they showed very simple doors with a large (3/4) stained glass insert in a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired design. Something like the various stained glass images seen on the linked page. If so, I don't think the doors are too complex but I would think you would want complementary stained glass in the side panels and transoms (regardless of whether you split the center panel or leave it long) rather than clear glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: FL Wright-ish stained glass

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

Now that would be an expensive door unit.

I pretty much agree with live wire oak -that the doors could be simpler since the house is a modern prairie and/or the side windows could be more like the doors

• cardinal94
    10 years ago

I like the first drawing just as it is. I think the one horizontal above the door gives the eye a rest from all the lines of the door & helps emphasize it. I don't think the door is too 'busy', but the mullioned window above makes it too busy.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

I like door option 1 as well. We went for a similar door/transom option without sidelights as we were limited in width. Our garage door also has horizontal top windows. I am not sure what decorative glass you were thinking of. Ours is Lexington glass by Trimlite.

Here is a photo. Of course it looks off because the front steps are not installed yet, but you get the idea. We willl also have a glass railing around the deck over the garage. We have the transom covered for now so neighbours don't see a house of studs behind it. When we are closer to done the paper blind will be removed.

The exterior of your house is gorgeous.

Carol

• threeapples
    10 years ago

I agree you need more cohesion with the door and transom styles.

Good for you for going with Lowen. I wish we did.

• dianamc75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi - I just wanted to update as the front door went in yesterday. Very poor quality pics, and I didn't get any from the street because it was raining.

I took the advice and had them design some detailing in the side transoms.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!!

• dianamc75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! I was worried it would look like a jail cell, but I don't think it does.

• rrah
    10 years ago

That is one very handsome door!

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

Looks Great.