Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Modifying plan to add 2nd story-roofline? DG's Cedar Ridge

Posted by olivesmom (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 17:42

I've must have looked through hundreds of house plans lately and I just came across the Don Gardner Cedar Ridge (aka SL Pine Ridge) and with just a bit of tweaking the first floor is perfect. However, the cedar ridge is designed with a walkout basement which house the additional bedrooms, and I do not want a basement. I would like the additional bedrooms and bathrooms (minimum of 2 beds and 2 full baths) to be upstairs.

How big of a modification will it be to change the floor plan to a 1.5 story? I was thinking the bedrooms could go above the kitchen/mud/utility and or the study side of the house. I do not want the kids bedrooms above the master and I would like to keep the living room's two story ceiling. How different would the roofline look? Any idea as to how much of a fee they would charge for this sort of modification? Would modifying the plan be cheaper than hiring an architect? Anything else to consider?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Gardner Cedar Ridge

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Modifying plan to add 2nd story-roofline? DG's Cedar Ridge

You could easily add 2 BR and 2 baths above the Study, Entry, Utility, Office, Pantry areas, leaving the stair where it is. The challenge is the massing and the appearance of the elevations, particularly the front, since the roof lines will change considerably. The photograph's view is not what you will have--imagine everything in the front as two stories.

I'm not sure how the new roofing in the front and the existing roofing in the rear will/can be worked out. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here