Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Question on direction to run hardwood flooring

chloenkitty
9 years ago

The hardwood flooring is being installed in our home, but I'm concerned about the direction of how it will be placed. When you walk in my front door, you are in an entryway, the dining room is on left, office on right. Straight ahead is the open kitchen/living room. In that back end where the kitchen/dining room are open, i definitely want it to run the direction of the length of the room (east/west) however, if I run it that same way as soon as you walk in the door, I feel it will look short and like it's going the wrong way. Should I have them lay the floor when you walk in north/south and then turn it to east/west before the kitchen/living room starts? I've attached a pic so hopefully you can look past the construction mess and see what I mean. Thank you

Comments (9)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I believe it should all go the same direction. My DH and I laid our laminate flooring several years ago and that's what the sales people advised. If you change direction you will need a trim strip or something to cover the transition (unless techniques have changed since we did ours).

Donna

• User
    9 years ago

Across the joists is the correct orientation.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

It should run horizontally. On top of the "subfloor". From what I hear, IMHO.
    Casey

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Personally, I would lay it in the direction you want in the bigger area, and keep that same direction everywhere.

If you choose to change direction, you do not need "a trim strip or something to cover the transition" unless you have a terrible installer. I have changed direction in rooms vs hallways. You need to specially cut a groove in the first piece, or cut a special tongue piece to fit the 2 grooves together, depending on the direction you are installing. You just need to make the ends of one piece fit into the side of the next piece, and it takes a bit of conscious joinery. If your installer is some joe with no carpentry skills, he might just leave a gap and cover it with a speed bump. Don't let that guy install your floors.

As for the direction of the joists, this was true back in the day, when you wouldn't have subfloor, or your subfloor would be in planks, so you'd have to be sure to run the planks in the opposite direction of whatever was underneath them. Is there a reason to keep doing that nowadays, when most people have 4x8 sheets of plywood as their subfloor?

• User
    9 years ago

Most people do not have plywood subfloors. They have OSB. And builders are noted for not building one iota above code minimum unless forced to. (They often do not use joists strong enough to support tile without significant reinforcement.) Which means that you often will get some deflection in your floors. AKA bounce and movement. Wood floors will be a stronger installation across the joists, and will deflect less. If you had your builder upgrade the joist height, spacing, or subfloor material, that may be unnecessary. But, most people pay far more attention to the pretty covering over the structure than the actual structure itself. Probably only 1/8 of the people who build even know what their joist height, spacing, and span, as well as the subfloor material might even be. Yet that is critical knowledge when selecting the pretty stuff that will cover those bones.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

We recently had hardwood (3 1/2 inch wide white oak planks, site-finished) installed in living room, dining room, and hallway. Our installer was adamant that it be laid perpendicular to the joists. Since he was the expert, we trusted his judgement.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

I had a similar situation and chose to do a direction change. I'm on a slab so there were no joists to worry about.

I could've gone either way, really. Probably keeping one direction is better, but I think mine turned out fine too.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

on the diagonal, just because I like the way it looks.