Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Front Exterior Your Thoughts

amykath
10 years ago

We are working with an architect to build our new home.

Please tell me ALL of your thoughts on this elevation and design. My feelings will NOT be hurt. I just want to get it right before we build.

The door is not accurate. We will have a wide 42 inch wide solid wood door, so that changes things for the entry,

I also would not paint the siding that brown. Stone choices are all up for suggestions as well.

Any color suggestions, stone placement suggestions or anything is appreciated.

Feel free to tell me the roof line is off or whatever. I still have time to really change the entire thing.

We live in Texas and our house is on a slope all views are out the back so the front has not been thought out too well.

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (10)

• amykath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is our lot.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

There's no consistency.
    Stone at random heights... same with windows.

Also, how do people get from your driveway to the front door?

• amykath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lu, you are dead on accurate. I found a style we will mimic for our exterior

We will see how that goes bit won't be identical, but in the same ballpark b

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

With the prominent vertical ribbing of the metal roof, the horizontal siding fights with it. I'm not so sure the block stone you picture would offer enough texture, which is the opposite problem of the original issue. I don't know what your budget might be, but I'm almost seeing a limewashed brick as the exterior material. It will give more variation, and texture than the block stone, but the limewash over it will unify that variation and texture. And, of course, clean up the fenestration. It's a pretty big mess.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

I do love the glass look-through of your newer inspiration picture, especially with your incredible view out the back. It seems it would do wonders to make a long low house look less like a daunting solid stone barrier. Plus it really makes the front entry a gorgeous focal point as opposed to being squished back into the house, as it is in your initial rendition.

You could take it in a Spanishy, Japanesey, or mid-modern direction depending on taste. (It is slightly remniscent of the Eichler designs of the SF Bay Area; might check those for some similar ideas.)

Do you want windows on that back right room? Looks slightly blind on the original rendering.

I'm taking it there's no snow at your elevation; up here in Maine, your design would require a bit of finagling to make sure that heavy slide-off from the metal roof doesn't fall right onto your front porch and walkways.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Your photo appears to be typical of the limestone clad Hill Country houses that are so appealing in central Texas. The rather "cottagey" shapes and the sprawling variety of roof forms and slopes, together with light colored limestone and plaster walls are what really define this type of architectural vocabulary.

Your rendering, on the other hand, is illustrated in darker colored materials and uses a "builder-subdivision" vocabulary.

Which do you prefer? If you do prefer Hill Country aesthetic try looking at Cornerstone Architects and others for ways to improve what's shown in the rendering.

Good luck with your project.

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

i really like your inspiration pic, but it doesn't look anything like your elevation. did you show your architect your inspiration?

here's a nice cornerstone exterior
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/ethridge-residence-contemporary-exterior-austin-phvw-vp~4080337-Residence-contemporary-exterior-austin

i been in LOVE with the cat mountain kitchen for quite a while now. it's great!

• amykath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I definitely prefer the light stone and hill country aesthetic! I love the inspiration photo and would be thrilled to have that as our home's exterior.

Livewire, Yes, we use a great deal of limestone hear. We are not set on the stone. We will definitely shop around and see what is out there and price is a factor as well.

Thanks for all of your wonderful advice and insight!

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

Are the tiny high windows on the left side integral to the interior design? I had windows like that in my last house. I couldn't see out of them because I'm too short. So what's the point of having them? Plus I really hated to wash them.

• amykath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Little,

The windows are not important so that we can look out. Just a nice feature to let in natural light. We are actually beefing them up so they look more fitting with the rest of the exterior.

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight! It helps immensely!

Amy