Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avossohouse

Some Help with attached house plans please

avossohouse
10 years ago

Hello Garden Web! We are in the beginning stages of building our first home. I've been on GW for months looking at everyone's suggestions and reveals. It's quite the addictive site. I'm hoping those of you further along in the process of building can help me! Our plan (attached) was reversed this last revision and I feel completely disoriented. The front of the home faces SE and we live in the SE. Some of my concerns:
1. the screened porch area (NW facing) will be unusably hot in the afternoons. Not sure there is much that can be done about that. I felt it was it perfect before it was reversed.
2. We have the option of a 3' wide overhang roof over the triple French doors in the GR, or no overhang and doors that are almost triple in cost even with the overhang price considered. Either way, the French doors will have a 18" transom over them. This was done because I wanted LIGHT. Now with the plan flipped, will I get enough light with the overhang and the breakfast area already blocking the GR doors? The builder tells me in addition to being more economical, the overhang will protect{{gwi:807}} from weather and future failure of the doors.
3. Where would you place the MB bed? I also have x2 nightstands, a dresser, a tv stand the width of a dresser, and a wardrobe. If I place the bed along the back wall, should I move the windows to go behind the nightstands?

Thanks for reading.

This post was edited by BINK5 on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 18:26

Comments (9)

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Do you have a version without electrical? A "cleaner" version?

Jen

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Yeah, I agree we need to see a cleaner version. The only thing I can see at this point is that I don't like the giant garage dragging a house.

• avossohouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yikes. The electrical is messy and I didn't realize how fuzzy the pic uploaded compared to the original. I don't have one without electrical that is jpeg. I'll ask my builder. For now is there a way I can upload the current one less fuzzy?
    MrsPete- I agree about the garage! I wish it didn't poke out. We needed the mudroom bathroom to be the one accessible from the backyard. Couldn't figure out a way to move the garage, keep the bathroom accessible on both ends, and stay under 104' width which is really at the widest we can be. Any ideas are appreciated.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Could you just give us a hand-drawn sketch? I know it might not be as exact, but my eyes are so bad these days that I had no chance of deciphering the fuzzy plan.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Why was the plan reversed? Which way to the French doors face? If I am understanding correctly, it would be NW. Is in more N or W? Overhangs help block the heat/sun on the N and S, but they do not on the E or W because of the angle of the sun. And there is the trade off between letting in a lot of sun, but at the same time keeping out a lot of heat.

• avossohouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MrsPete, I'm on it.
    Dekeoboe, the plan was reversed to accommodate the pie shape of the lot, that has the point at a cul du sac. The lot dictated that the garage would have to be on the higher side. The French doors face slightly more to the N side of NW. We are in the south so it does get hot here.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

Bink- how about windoor 10 footers? They allow lots of light...
    I emailed you back regarding my office ceiling...

Pam

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

Bink- how about windoor 10 footers? They allow lots of light...
    I emailed you back regarding my office ceiling...

Pam

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Take your other version without electrical and open it as zoomed in as possible on your screen while still seeing everything. Then do a print screen. Open Microsoft Paint if on windows or another picture editing software in windows or other operating system and do a paste. Then save it as a jpg and upload.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus