Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on size of closets for kids

Posted by dreambuilder (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 17:03

I want generous sized walk-in closets for kids. What size do people recommend? I prefer to hang things rather than fold them in drawers b/c the kids dig through the drawers and everything is destroyed. I plan on having slide out bins for things that can't be hung up. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on size of closets for kids

I would say a 5' x 7' closet would be a good size without being overkill.

o

Somewhere between 5'x6' and 5'x7' works really well. Don't forget the option of putting in double stacked hanging racks vs just a single hanging rack. With this size closet, you should be able to get plenty of hanging space + a nice size column of shelves/drawers for folded items. I would not go any narrower than 5' to allow plenty of walkway space in the closet.

Our kids' closets are back to back measuring out 5' x ~7'. One of them has the door on the 5' end and the other has the door on the ~7' side. The one that has the door on the ~7' side feels more spacious than the one with the door on the 5' side even though they are the same size. Just an observation you may want to consider as well during your planning.

Hope this helps!

o

Our kids' walk-in closets are 6 feet wide. They are 39 inches deep. The door is centered with hanging racks on either side. We put shelves below the poles on one side of each closet. In the boys' closet we put double hanging racks for shirts/jackets.

In the boys we put a coat rack. We did have dressers for the kids though. One drawer was socks, one underwear, one shirts, one shorts, etc. I think there was a time when I "matched" pants & shirts together. BTW, two boys shared a room and my dd had her own.

In the Master we have 2 closets of the same size. Dh's has 2 double racks; I have double only on one side. On the back wall, our own have shoe boxes. I also have hooks for camera bags and backpacks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here