Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcjohnsson

Residential/home elevator travel speed and energy efficiency

tcjohnsson
9 years ago

I'm looking at installing a home elevator in a six story condo/townhome. There is actually another unit below on the 3rd floor + two levels of parking below that. There is a common elevator that takes the residents of the 15-unit complex from the street level to the 3rd floor, and then some residents can enter their units from that floor or walk up one or two flights of stairs to get to their front doors. The rooftop loft units have been designed with an elevator hoistway space that will go from the 2nd floor parking all the way up to each individual unit on the 5th floor (5th floor unit is a loft with two stories). This particular elevator would stop only on floors 2, 5 and 6 (skip floors 3 and 4). My concern is that the travel distance is quite far with 11 and 12' floor-to-floor heights. The unit would travel up 34 feet to get from the 2nd floor to the 5th floor and 45 feet from the 2nd floor to the 6th floor.

How fast or slow are these elevators? I've been told that the hydraulic and traction options are limited to the same speed - 40 ft per minute. That seems painfully long to be sitting in an elevator traveling such a short distance. I estimate it would take over 50 seconds to traverse the 34' necessary to take me from my parking garage to the entry of the unit. Is that right? Is 40 ft per minute typical speed for residential elevators and does anyone have experience riding them (especially over longer than 10 feet or so)? Would it be a bad idea to have a unit designed to depend on these elevators every day? Is reliability an issue? Maintenance costs prohibitive? Are there faster options in the "residential" category?

I was looking at the Symmetry product, particularly the roped hydraulic option. Cost is about $40K installed. Installer stated that the hydraulic option has a smoother ride (especially start and finish) and is more energy efficient than the traction option because of its low standby power (84 watts 24-7). Apparently the traction option has a higher standby power rating. The hydraulic unit consumes 4,500 watts going up and 161 watts going down. Assuming one minute total travel time in both directions 8X/day (4 up, 4 down, an average use I am assuming per elevator per day) it will only consume 291 watts total in motive power and 2,016 watts total in standby (84W x 24 hours). So the standby power consumption is 7X greater than the motive power consumption. I should note that this project is 100% solar powered so low power consumption is critical.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments (9)

• tcjohnsson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to ask about opinions on automated accordion gates. Bad idea?

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

Are you certain you can legally put a 'home' elevator in a condo?
    Since it's serving multiple 'residences' and not 1 person's home, I suspect you may have difficulty getting the install to meet code. (Not sure what your area's requirements are though.)

As well, most residential elevators i looked at had a max of 3 stories of lift, and lower max floor heights than yours as well.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I agree: you need to check code. Typically a residential elevator is only allowed in single family homes, and they have a maximum 5 stops/50 feet of travel (I might be slightly off on this; I'm going by memory). And yeah, they only run at 30-40 fpm, which IMO is way too slow for 6 stops.

I'd recommend you install a normal commercial passenger elevator. It's possible that your local AHJ would allow a LU/LA (smaller, slower, commercial elevator), but you'd need to check.

I have no idea on the solar power issue...can you get 3-phase power off that?

• User
    9 years ago

That's not a residential application, and no AHJ would allow anything less that a commercial installation.

• tcjohnsson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the responses. I'm sorry, but I should have been more clear. The residential elevators are servicing only ONE residential unit each. Each of the elevators will only access one residential unit and cannot be used to access any other unit. In addition to the residential elevators, I do have a single LU/LA in the plans which will service several residential units.

• User
    9 years ago

A name from the past. MightyAnvil says hi.

Most building departments in my region will allow a unit in a condominium to be designed under the single-family code except where elements of it are shared with other units.

The issues to be considered are the load on and the modifications of the structure, the speed and the number of stops. To deal with those issues it is best to hire an elevator consultant or start talking to elevator companies. You will also need a structural engineer perhaps one familiar with the original design.

Have other owners added elevators?

• tcjohnsson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Renovator8 - Blast from the past indeed! Hello to you, MightyAnvil and others! I remember the soundproofing debate we all had many years back - very informative (at least for me LOL). I've had some whacky ideas over the years and it's nice to have some unbiased feedback from experienced people like you and others.

I'm actually building this condo concept from scratch. Yes, another whacky idea I've been dreaming up for years. I've been wanting to take an urban building (in the middle of the urban core) completely off the grid with the utility only as a back-up. Basically, all the units will operate 100% on photovoltaics coupled with a large Li-Ion battery bank, inverters and BMS. The local utility here is a bit of a tyrant (and monopoly) and has recently come out with a plan to charge flat fees of up to $71/month to residents even if they use no power at all. I realized years back this would happen to power producers so this is the next step in being independent from the utility.

I've had a very very hard time getting accurate power consumption figures from elevator manufacturers. The townhome/condo design is one that almost requires the use of the residential elevators to make them easily accessible. Of course there are stairs one could take... but traversing two flights of stairs every day just to access their front door isn't very appealing. I've read mixed reviews about elevators here and reliability seems to be a concern... but then again most of the comments I've come across were for older residential units - not current makes. The machines seem very simple yet are prone to failure more often than I would expect. The installer stated that the units have improved dramatically over the years in terms of reliability, efficiency and cost. I've been told that they are much more reliable than commercial units. But I'm not sure if this is just typical elevator sales guy talk as online reviews are mixed. I was hoping to get some feedback from people that use and rely on their residential elevators on a daily basis. I know people that own residential units here but they rarely use them.

I'm going with prestressed/prefabricated concrete panels for this project and the hoistways have already been spec'd per the mfg's requirements. I was originally going to frame out the hoistways but was worried about noise transfer so am now going with concrete enclosures.

• tcjohnsson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oaktown - thank you. I've been told that the faster options were in the LU/LA category and that hoistways would need to be built larger and the power requirements go through the roof. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any middle ground between speeds. Either fast or painfully slow.

I am definitely going with powered accordion gates. Having to open and close two separate doors TWICE per trip seems awfully cumbersome. I was actually hoping to use a residential elevator that had standard elevator doors (like a commercial set up with horizontal bi-parting doors) similar to the Mitsubishi SVC200 but they aren't available in my neck of the woods.